Thursday, April 22, 2010

GladiThursday

Soundth like I'm lithping...GladiThursday....

Okay...maybe just to me. 

Today, I'm glad for the sting of conviction, and that "because of His great love for me, His compassions never fail--they are new every second morning." (Lam. 3:22-23)

I was a grump last night.  One of my least favorite pasttimes of my Proverbs 31 life ;) is that I loathe making dinner.  Why?  Well...I think first, it's just a bad part of the day for me.  And then?  I don't love planning, but when I do take the time to plan and execute said plan, here's an example of the following which make me feel like riding my broom around the kitchen:
  • The girl gets a spontaneous dinner out invitation (from the person driving her home). 
  • The boy has a two item repetoire before complaints start in.
  • The strong provider has an incredibly dynamic schedule, which may or may not include his presence for dinner.  I may or may not know whether he's dining with us more than 10 minutes before I'm putting dinner on the table.
So, in my angst, I borrowed a plan from one of my parenting mentors, Bill Cosby (and his wife, Camille).  You know the one...it goes something like, "Alright! that's IT!  No one in this family better look at each other or touch each other--AGAIN!".  Only, I substituted:  "I give UP!  I'm never cooking dinner for this family--AGAIN!  Fend for yourselves.  I'm tired of... and I can't believe..." 

Yeah.  Hard to be proud of Spiritual Fruit of that nature.  I know you wish you were part of my family.  Lucky ones.  I am one fount of flexibility.

This week: 

I've been praying.
I've read my Bible.
I've gone to church, gone to choir.
Had plenty of opportunity to be filled with His Spirit, and to choose gentleness, self control, and patience. 
And I failed. 

Somehow, I left His strength in favor of my own, and it was a disaster. But conviction brings confession, and confession brings repentance.  And thankfully, repentance brings forgiveness from a holy God.

I stand in the truth of His grace.  And am so glad about that.  

Lord, create in me a pure heart, and renew a steadfast spirit within me (Ps. 51:10).  In Jesus' name. Amen.

Photobucket

13 comments:

Denise said...

I love you dear one, praying for you always.

Carpool Queen said...

Substitute the laundry or cleaning the house and you've described me.

And I think the Proverbs 31 woman had a maid.

Jen said...

Oh, honey. Wish I were there. I'd dial the phone so we could order take-out. xoxoxo

Tiffani said...

yep, I get it.

this is definitely something I've been praying over myself...so thankful for grace upon grace.

Mich said...

I could have writen this post...

except I like to cook, it is cleaning up after myself that I dread with a passion.

Isn't it wonderful that we serve a GOd who KNOWS us and meets us where we are at? Even if it is at the bottom of a laundry pile or up to our elbows in suds. What a reason to be GLAD.

Sandy said...

That is the "witching hour" of the day for most women... our energy level is down, we want to put on a spread like Martha Stewart (& from all I've heard & read, you sure wouldn't want to be like her!), & it is hard to practice flexibility when some things are best only when served when ready (my DH tends to head to the head about 2 minutes before I'm ready to put dinner on the table, so I've learned to give him a 5-10 minute warning & say, "NOW is the time to go to the bathroom!" One thing that helped when our kids were at home was that there was no complaining allowed about food. If you didn't care for it, you filled up on the part you liked & complimented mom on it. You could get up & fix something else (like a peanut butter sandwich, nothing that would make more of a mess in the kitchen) if you just couldn't eat what was served. But after one warning about complaining, you were asked to leave the table & you could go to bed without supper. Sounds cruel, but a kid is not going to starve to death by missing one meal & it drives home the point really fast!

Cathy said...

Should have read this earlier today...apparently I can relate.

Thanks for your encouragement, friend!

O Mom said...

I'm sorry you had a bad night. If it makes you feel any better..we all do sometimes. Thank you for sharing it and you had me at the first sentence.....Glad for the sting of conviction. Ouch. but in a good way. really.
here's to a better night tonight. :)
And Sandy? Can we just call her Mom? :)

Unknown said...

Girl, I am thankful for your transparent self. And that in our weaknesses you point us to Jesus!

Amber said...

Your honest heart always encourages me. Because it is just so comforting to know that other people end up where I end up so many times.

But aren't we so blessed to serve a God that graces us with new mercies every.single.second.??!!

whimzie said...

I was a grouch this week, too. If it helps.

Marla Taviano said...

I'm a fount of many foul things too. :) Love you, friend!

Jenster said...

You're just keeping it real, sister.

I'm working on a post about a talk I gave to a group of women about a month ago. The scripture the talk centered on? Lamentations 3:22-23. Yup!

Those two verses are a thing of beauty and something worth clinging to on a "second" to second basis, no?