Thursday, April 1, 2010

Another Tawpic: A pineapple is neither a tree, nor an apple.

O Mom suggests I write about "anything to do with being a Mom or a day in the life of your dog or pictures from the beach house or what is it you do all day or any favorite recipes your making lately". 

Wowsa.  That's a lot of goodness in one comment! I'll focus on the first part, "anything to do with being a mom".  How about a the best of times/the worst of times focus?  Not terribly original, especially if you're a parent, but here goes.  Probably the BEST thing about being a mom is that I have two great kids, and His new mercies each day to make up for my bungles.  And the worst?  The fact that I'm always second-guessing myself.  Also, immediacy and consistency have their drawbacks.  Here are a few specifics, in list form:

Bests:
  • Bear hugs from my 6'1" son.  Cuddles from my dtr.
  • Texts from my dtr--about anything and everything--especially those ending in xxoxoxo
  • Watching American Idol, Survivor, and The Amazing Race from our bed all.together (even though, given all the fidgeting, one or both kids are often voted off the island--temporarily)
  • Driving alone with each child.  To talk about everything.  Or nothing.  And of course we sing Journey and Queen songs to the tops of our voices.  David hasn't decided yet quite how to use falsetto, but there really is no other way to sing Steve Perry or Freddy Mercury.  Just sayin'.
  • Prayers for and praying with each kid. 
  • Tucking in.
  • Pizza Night and Donuts (can you say, "hero worship"?)
  • walks along the beach together.
  • They miss me when I'm gone.
Worsts:
  • 'Tude problems:  e.g. entitlement and/or lack of thinking of others.
Really, there are not a lot of terrible days.  Even with the hormones raging--we have two great kids.  God has been patient with us all, and though I know they won't grow up to be perfect adults, I can be so proud of most of their decisions already, and am looking forward to being best of friends...you know, when I'm intelligent and cool again.  I fear that'll be a while in coming. :)

Photobucket

9 comments:

Denise said...

Awesome post.

Sandy said...

So cool! Hang on to them as long as you can...

Carpool Queen said...

I love the talky (is that a word?) relationship that you have with your kids. I hope mine feel free to tell me everything as they get older.

I think.

Well, maybe not everything, just the important things :)

Amy said...

I love how your bests list is really long compared to your worsts list of 1! On hard days, I have to be careful not to let the worsts outnumber the bests.

Anonymous said...

I love the kind of mom you are. I'm sure you have moments when you want to vote them off the island, but for the mostliest part you can tell that they are your joy.

O Mom said...

I sound so nosey...
Love the singing in the car together and watching great shows all in the bed together! :) You sound like a fun Mom! And your son 6'1! WOW!

Unknown said...

I will admit that this morning when The Mr. and I had to WAKE UP our children for our annual Easter Basket and Egg hunt I felt that time is slipping....

And I got weepy of those times, not so long ago, when they were tip-toe-ing into my bedroom, and I had to keep them occupied while The Mr. ran to hide eggs outside in the cool, dark morning.

All this to say? I'm enjoying the bests in our home too, not because they are always fantastic, but because they are happening all too soon!

Happy Easter!

Amber said...

I covet the relationship you have with your kids. (Not the bad covet...the totally holy covet.) Because I so want my kiddos to want to talk to me when they are starting to get all hairy and deep-voiced and stankin' with attitude.

You've got a precious thing right there, sister.

Mich said...

My daughter told me once that SHE ENJOYS being in the car with me by herself, because that is when she feels she can TALK. Needless to say, I cherish those moments as much as I can.

Keep on talking, friend!

Hope you had a beautiful Easter!