Thursday, April 8, 2010

Deep Thoughts with Gretchen

I've been thinking lately...(a dangerous idea, to be sure).

And here's what I've been chewing on:  Would someone who didn't know Jesus know that I know Jesus?  Does my relationship with my beautiful Savior show in my faith, word, and deed? 

Of course, I'd like to think that the answers to these questions is a resounding, obvious YES!  But I'm not always so sure.

I was brave enough to ask my husband if he saw evidence of my faith in me.  Thankfully, he didn't faint or laugh in my general direction.  He said that he did see something.  That I wasn't a "Sunday only" believer.  So that's a relief.  Because he's my biggest mission field, no?  But so are my neighbors, my friends both in and out of church, and my children.  Because if my children don't see Jesus in me, they'll be awfullly confused as they grow into their faith as adults.

So...ruminating, cogitating, mulling over...

It's easy to thank Jesus, raise hands, pray, and talk in Christian-speak at church.  Further, it's comfy to chat with folks with whom we know we share faith.  And I'm grateful for these times.  I need them.  But what about the rest of the times?  Is the fruit of the Spirit alive and growing in/thru me?  Lord, let it be so.

Lemme ask you...Can you put your finger on a particular attribute or package of attributes of folks whom you know are believers, even if they haven't espoused their faith in Jesus verbally?  What's one way you live your faith (because I get by with a little help from my friends).

“Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words.” ~St. Francis of Assisi


Photobucket

9 comments:

Denise said...

I try to encourage people, and let His light shine through me.

Carpool Queen said...

I think trying to live a life of confidence, calm, and contentment despite our circumstances has given me more opportunities to share the hope I have in Jesus than anything I could ever say to my neighbors.

Gretchen said...

Beautifully written, friend. Thank you for this gentle reminder.

The peace that passes understanding, the consistency and love that abounds in our family; those are the things that I hope draw people to my Savior.

O Mom said...

I feel like this often, being a more shy person it's hard to always be the bold one for Jesus. But as I look back on the people in my life, I seem to attract people who are believers. Is it the Holy Spirit testifying in eachother? I think so. As for the others out there I want to reach,I have to believe that my smile, my offer of help, being happy...all those little things minister to them somehow, and Jesus will give us those opportunities to share Him when they're ready. It's like the same thing that made me want to keep reading your blog, drawn here....then God brought the praying for our husbands together.

Shanda said...

It's always good to pause now and then to see if your "talk matches your walk..."

Loved the quote by St. Francis of Assisi!

I thought instantly to an adventure I took my kiddos out on. My littlest guy was having some "issues," and a complete stranger reached out to us by offering wipes, warmth of person, and joked with the older two while I got things under control. It wasn't until the conversation turned to my kids school (Christian school)that it was confirmed we were sisters in the faith; but I think we both just knew. She wasn't out to "evangelize" a poor mother and her three kids; she was just warm, caring, and considerate when she could have walked by judging me as a mother because my child was having issues in public.

It's often the selfless little things...things we can easily rush by without doing and the general public wouldn't think less of us for just walking by...

I'm sure your question really made Big think! I pray God will continue to stir his heart as he sees your walk with Christ.

Amber said...

I live in the smackdab middle of the Bible Belt, so I take for granted that people around me in my every day life still need to see Jesus in me. So I have to check myself constantly.

But I think seeing people, really seeing people, with eyes of Jesus and zero judgement intact helps me to hone in on the compassion I need to love people like Jesus loves them.

Mich said...

Great question...and reminder of how we should be seen daily.

I try hard to be compassionate and loving to even the unlovable.

Unknown said...

God's Word says that we shall be known by our love, and yet we cannot truly know Godly love until we allow Christ to love us--deeply, sacrificially, intimately.

The Christians in my life that radiate Christ are those who pursue Christ with their all, and then love those around them - believer and unbeliever - with a love that is radiant and real...

I pray that I would be like one of those - A child of God whose face reflects her salvation!

Becky said...

Love this. Love that you're living and walking it before your family in such a way that they've taken note.

That quote is so much like the scripture that talks about winning over an unbelieving spouse without so much as a word.