Monday, April 12, 2010

Daniel SAFARI: Week 12


Exploring Evangelism/Conquering Complacency

This week's highlighted verse:  Daniel 12:3 (NLT) "Those who are wise will shine as bright as the sky, and those who lead many to righteousness will shine like the stars forever."

Here are the questions for our final chapter:
1.  Post about a time you’ve shared the Gospel with someone–how’d it go?
2.  Why do you think so many of us choke when it’s time to tell someone the Good News? What do you think we can do about it?

I've chosen to answer them both, but I WILL TRY TO BE BRIEF. :)

1.  I don't believe I've shared the Gospel from beginning to end, so to speak, with anyone except for my children.  That went well b/c they were little and they were getting major back up from their awesome Sunday School teachers at my church.  Typically, I share the Gospel by sharing little, experiential things where I see God's presence in my life.  I've also shared verses which make me think.  Lastly, sometimes, I just ask if I can pray for the person (who doesn't know Jesus).  Usually, these attempts have gone well.  Sometimes, I consider them feeble because, after all, the goal is SALVATION.  But is that really the goal?  As Amber noted in our study, we are called to be witnesses in the command of the Great Commission, but witnesses are responsible for only telling the truth as they know it.  Only God can convert a heart.  My evangelizing needs to be somewhat comfortable, and always as a result of being in relationship with a person, or it will seem disingenuous.  People are so wary and guarded because they've been hurt, so treading carefully is always the order of the day (in my opinion). I am not displeased with my actual sharing--but I realize that I could be more intentional in each relationship, "making the most of every opportunity", not only to get along with my fellow believers, but sharing the faith with unbelievers. (Philippians 5:14-16).  Time is running short.

2.  I think many of us choke when sharing the Gospel because we're afraid of rejection.  Who wants to look like a freak, or be labeled a fanatic?  Quite frankly, there is no good excuse for not evangelizing, since we are commanded to do so; however, T.V. evangelists and political extremists have done very little for our cause in reaching the unchurched.  "If I listen to Gretchen and/or attend her church, will I turn into some religious nutcase?"  The second reason we choke, and it's directly related to a message about worry and possessions (Luke 12:22-34) that I heard today, is that we're not truly "bought in" to the Kingdom of God, ourselves.  Fitting into our social groups is extremely important--an idol, perhaps? Ouch.  But really...Do I want to be the churchy one?  No I don't, but it takes effort at building relationships and living/walking faith in order to make Jesus attractive to folks in our fast-paced, instant gratification, I'm-too-busy-for-God American culture.  Jesus asked each of his disciples to drop everything and follow Him.  He asks us, too.  And in order to shine like stars, we must be strong and courageous, and wisely share His righteousness with others. He didn't say this would be easy.  He didn't say it wouldn't feel awkward at times.  He didn't say folks would instantly agree.  He just said to do it.

I find comfort in knowing that if I just try--just do my little part--He's got the rest covered. 

I am humbled to have finished this SAFARI with all of you.  Thank you for your companionship and wisdom along the way.  Special thank you to HisGirlAmber, my SoCA sister.  You never cease to amaze me, and girl, you've sharpened my iron many a time. Love you!

I'll be sharing final wrap ups by the end of this week/beginning of next. 

9 comments:

O Mom said...

I tend to find comfort in the fact that some of us are just the seed planters, or maybe the little sprinkle of water......If i look at it like that it makes me feel better about being apart of something so much bigger.

Amy said...

O Mom is so right! Even if you don't see the result, you are making an important contribution. I shared the gospel many times while serving as a volunteer. I was always surprised to learn that the times I felt the least polished in my speech, the clients responded in the most extraordinary ways.

Jen said...

"we're not truly "bought in" to the Kingdom of God, ourselves. Fitting into our social groups is extremely important--an idol, perhaps?"

ouch!! That hurt...

All excellent points, as usual. I agree with everything you say, especially your remarks about TV evangelists and politicians. They sort of set us up, don't they?

And agreeing with O Mom.....I always think of this verse: I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. (1 Cor 3:6) We have our part to do, but ultimately it is on God to change the heart, right? Whew! Takes some (well a LOT) of pressure off of me!!

I have loved, loved, LOVED safari-ing with you, Gretchen. I'm so glad that God brought us together like this.

As Lisa said....More To Come...

Jean Sullivan said...

Great post--I can totally relate. Just keep throwing out those seeds.

Mich said...

This has been a great study.

The pastor yesterday spoke on this very thing. He was talking about being a missionary and the fact that you don't have to go to Africa to be one. Our friends, family and neighbors are a big mission field. Many of us shy away because we are afraid that our loved ones will refuse the message. However, as you have said, it is only our job to deliver the message, God does the rest.

Great post.

Tiffani said...

hey, remember me?! i'm the blog/twitter/phone friend whose fallen off the planet!! ;)

just taking some time away and such..refusing to feel overwhelmed or out of the loop...

ok, this was excellent to read..I shared the same thing in my post about being a "witness". Just felt so good to think of it that way.

You have been a joy and not too sure I could've done this without my Gretchy-girl.

I love you!!

Mels Place in Big Bear said...

I believe the best model for evangelizing is modeling Christlike behavior. I'm the first to admit I'm a newbie on my "rewalk" with Jesus, so take this for what it is worth - as a person who longs for more Jesus, but DOES NOT want to be converted. You have always, by your grace and class and humor (plus your golden retarded dog) made me want to get more of what you had. Take faith that just being you is the best example of God I could ask for. xoxoxxo

Shanda said...

As always, such truth and straight talk here. Love it, my friend.

The combined content of your post and O Mom's comment is downright profound. It is part of something so much bigger than just our moment of sharing the Gospel.

I always feel a little sharper for having vistited...sorry I haven't been much on the sharpening back end lately; but I do consider you a true friend and always appreciate my visits your way!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I think part of my "choking" comes from being in an EE (Evangelism Explosion) class and being put on the spot. Seriously, it was like, "You're up, Mer. We're going to knock on this door and you're going to share the plan of salvation with the person who answers it".

I crashed and burned and choked and stuttered every time. Probably because there was no relationship to accompany my words.

I have shared with friends since then, but the key word in that is FRIENDS. Even then I've still felt like I choked. Thankful for the grace of God (and the grace of friends) and thankful that seeds were planted.

Great post, G.