Saturday, May 1, 2010

May Day

Contrary to the last week, wherein I pretty much left the blogosphere high and dry, I tend to be a communicator.  I like words.  I make up words.  I speak them, write them, and sing them.  Probably too much. I like communication, in general.  In fact, I have a dual degree in Psychology and Communication Disorders and Speech Science, and a Master's in Speech Pathology.  So really, I like how words are formulated and executed, from the brain, through the anatomy, and out through written or spoken word.  For that matter, I like sign language, too.  And all sort of nonverbal communication.  I send email communications on behalf of my worship ministry at church.  I've been asked to manage a musical production for our church, which essentially boils down to a bunch of phone calls, emails, and face-to-face chats.  I like information, and when used well, I do believe that knowledge is not power, per se, but powerful. 

And thanks to God's grace, I am trusted with a boat load of information and confidences from folks in my life.  I am wired for this.  And I wouldn't change a thing.

But there are days.

Days when my spirit seeks quiet, and there isn't any. 

Because a dear family member is terribly sick.  Or maybe a friend's family member passes away.  Or someone I love needs "another test" to assure good health.  Or a baby is fighting for his life, and may live, but only God knows if he will live well.  Or a relationship is broken.  Or a child needs soothing because of one of the innumerable inequities of life. 

Days which tire me so.  Days when this gift of communication seems more like a liability.

But God. 

God is in this.  He is the lifter of our heads.  The healer of the broken-hearted.  The amazing, holy, righteous, magnificent, glorious Maker of the universe.  And I know he cares.  About each disease and hurt.  Each relationship.  Each child.  Each hair on His children's heads.  He cares that I hurt when my loved ones hurt.  And when I cry "May Day!", His Spirit is the healing balm to my weary spirit.  For His yoke is gentle, and His burden is light. 

Photobucket

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful words, my friend Gretchen.

Beautiful because they speak of your sweet, tender heart that hurts for others. But you are so wise not to hold on to the hurts and try to fix them yourself. I know you and I know that you lay them at our Father's feet.

You have always used your words for good in my life. Whether to say a prayer on my behalf or just to encourage me or make me laugh.

Love you and your words.

Jenster said...

Dear, sweet friend. You are speaking to my heart with the words you love so much. I needed to hear what you had to say. What a gift you are - whether you're using your words or just being quiet.

Can I just repeat what Snoodlings said?

Love you and your words.

Mich said...

You are good at words, for you knew the perfect way to express what I too feel sometimes.

So thankful for a loving Lord who understands and orders us to sometimes just "Be Still."

prayers and blessings always...

Jen said...

And you write such beautiful words.

I'm sorry you are hurting right now. I totally get the weariness. You are a woman. A mother. A daughter. A friend.

And I'll make it a three-peat: I love you and your words!

Denise said...

Your words greatly touched my heart, love you so much.

Gretchen said...

My friends...you bless me. Thank you for your encouragement. Lurving each one of you and your words.

Carpool Queen said...

Beautiful, dear one.

Tiffani said...

I am learning to find quiet b/c I tend to want to fill up the quiet/empty spaces with more words! But, I learning and soaking it in...

Your heart just speaks to me!

Becky said...

And you, my friend, do a wonderful job of communicating with words, written, spoken or otherwise. You have a wonderful gift that way.

Gretchen said...

Isn't it funny how the Lord knows when we need to read something? I'm a week late in reading this post, but TODAY is the day I needed it most. (Poet, didn't noet)

I hope that you have a blessed day, dear friend! Thank you for blessing me.

(I'm having a giveaway, come by!)

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I totally hear your heart. Thanks for sharing this, Gretchen.

Amber said...

I love your perspective.

And your words.

Always.