According to my sources, "fear not" or "do not fear" or "do not let your heart be troubled" , a.k.a. "don't be afraid" occurs at least 100, (probably more) times in the Bible. Whatever the number, when we're talking at least triple digits, that's a LOT. God apparently knew there would be slow learners, such as myself, and wanted to be clear: do.not.be.afraid.
You know, for someone (hello, TMI) who has struggled with anxiety and her evil step sister, depression, off and on for most of my adult life, one would think I could embrace these 366 Biblical quotations completely and wholeheartedly. I'm a Christian, after all. But I haven't. You want to know why?
Because.
I.
Was/Am.
Afraid.
Here's my segue...In our Bible Study, His Girl gives us several ideas for posting. Here's my chosen topic: "There are several times angels tell people in the Bible to 'Fear Not'. Find them and then compose a post or not about what you can draw from these scriptures."
Okay, segueing back to me...I've discovered a dirty little secret: fear = lack of faith. I think there's a good reason God only asks us for a mustard seed of faith--He knows that a mustard seed is about all most of us--even "good Christians"--can muster. And it's clear to me, though I want to walk the walk of a born again believer...Though I want to live my life for Christ...It's clear that I am a poser 50, 60, 75, 80 95% of the time. Maybe more.
Why is it clear that I'm a poser? Because I still fear (a.k.a. worry or obsess over):
- my kids will get hurt (socially, physically, emotionally) when they're at school or with friends.
- my husband will continue to seek, but not find, Jesus.
- I will never have the discipline to: ________. (fill in the blank--here are some ideas: lose 20 pounds, finish this study, show my faith to nonbelievers in a believable way, etc.)
- abandonment.
- change.
The assignment specifically said to note the passages that angels told folks not to fear. I'm going a little rogue here, and am going to list some "do not fear" passages which speak to me, whether spoken by angels or not. Whether indirectly or directly, they're all from God, anyway. All of these are from the NIV translation.
- Deuteronomy 31:6: "'Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.'"
- Joshua 1:9: "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you whereever you go."
- Isaiah 41:10: "So do not fear for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."
- Isaiah 43:1: ..."'Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine.'"
- Matthew 1:20; "But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, 'Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit.'"
- Mark 5: (Jesus) "Don't be afraid; just believe."
- Luke 1:13: "But the angel said to him, 'Do not be afraid, Zechariah; your prayer has been heard. Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you are to give him the name John.'"
- Luke 1:30-33: "But the angel said to Mary, 'Do not be afraid, Mary, you ave found favor with God.You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High...his kingdom will never end.'"
- 2 Timothy 1:7 "For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love, and of self-discipline."
So at this point, I see that I have a choice. I can read this Bible and even nicely quote it, and wish that I could be just like Jesus, or really just admire/be jealous of those folks who were used and so pivotal in the Bible. Or...I can repent. I can turn away from my "little thinking" (a term used by my good friend, Jean), and I can embrace (by faith) that God is who He says He is. That He has a plan for me. That he didn't want folks to live in fear back in Moses' time, in Jesus' time on the planet, not in Timothy's time, and not in Gretchen's time. He was and is, and is to come. The Alpha and Omega--the author and perfecter of my faith (Hebrews. 12:2).
Lord, I thank You for being who You say You are. Thank You that I can lay down any family of origin and self-inflicted drama and just be in Your presence. You are amazing and Holy, and that You've made me blameless in Your sight because of the cross is unbelievable. But I believe. Nothing is impossible with You. Forgive me for my fears, Lord. Vanquish them, I pray. Bind the enemy from my thoughts, and help me cast all worries and fears aside, that I may be bold and courageous in my faith, like Daniel and his friends. Help me "throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us (me) run with perseverance the race marked out for us (me)." And Lord, thank you for my brothers and sisters in Christ who are running their race, too. Help us to sharpen each other and build each other up. Thank you for His Girl's creativity and obedience in bringing this study to us. In Jesus' name. Amen.


14 comments:
Such an awesome post sweetie, love you.
The Joshua verse is one of my favorites. I've quoted it to myself on many an occasion.
I like what you've done here and named the fears. That's always half the battle. Once it's defined, you can speak truth to it.
2 Timothy 1:7 has always been a favorite of mine.
thanks for sharing your heart. Fear happens to be my weak link in walking with Christ too. I am thankful that we serve a loving God, who knows me better than I know myself and meets me there.
Such good stuff, friend. Fear cripples me almost daily in one way or the other, and I feel so incredibly blessed to have a loving Father that is willing to babystep along with me on my faith journey.
my darling, Gretchen...I am so excited to be doing this with you...I loved your words, you're so real and I really could've done a post and said "ditto" to yours!!!
Can't wait for Week 2! Love you!
Isaiah 41:10 One of my all time faves! All I can say is, "I identify" I'm praying your prayer for both of us today =)
Isaiah 41:10 One of my all time faves! All I can say is, "I identify" I'm praying your prayer for both of us today =)
ok, bawling here.
obviously this post means alot to me. i have spent so much of my life afraid, and unfortunatly still do. We (Him & me) are right smack dab in the middle of working on this though. And boy is it hard.
Keep it coming! :)
Love your transparency...
And your desire to follow the Lord, even in fearful places. The Lord goes before us!
wow, girl... you're not messin' around! what a BRAVE thing! naming your fears!
joining you in calling out the truth!
So at this point, I see that I have a choice. I can read this Bible and even nicely quote it, and wish that I could be just like Jesus, or really just admire/be jealous of those folks who were used and so pivotal in the Bible. Or...I can repent.
brilliant!!! So glad you're in the study!
Hmm...there are so many things in the bible we can do that same thing with. Read it, quote it, but what are we going to DO with it? Say them until we believe them. Joyce Meyer talks about little thinking, too and I really like that phrase. Like it in the fact that it is clear. And a little hard to swallow sometimes.
God is good, all the time. Thanks for sharing.
loved this!
it occurred to me as i was reading this that i still have areas of fear in my life. truly i didn't think i was living in fear. then you shared the word "abandonment".
and...now that we have both exposed ourselves as posers we can keep each other accountable. i don't want to just say there are areas that need work, i want to be different.
great doing this study with you!
Amazing post Gretchen. I don't see a poser. I see someone willing to be authentic and the bravery in being true is deeply inspiring.
In college, I remember a Pastor challenging us to seek God's face for a "Life Verse." One that we could go back to and hold onto when we needed to be reminded of His presence in our lives. I was giddy when I came across Deut. 31:6. I knew it was "it" for me!
You'd think I would have realized that if it was the "life verse" God was impressing on my heart that the road was going to be filled with "opportunities" to choose to be strong instead of terrified! And yet, it has been such a faithful companion all of these years pointing me back to the One whose very presence could calm me, walk beside me, and even carry me when the waters of life were rushing past too swiftly.
I believe we are all posers from time to time; but even posers who keep paddling back out to those waves eventually gain authentic skill. If we continue seeking His face, even when we are swimming in fear; His faithfulness, grace, and mercy will grow us and establish our faith in His love. "Perfect love casts out fear..."
Thanks for the inspiration girl!
Gretchen -- I love you! LOL! I've struggled with the same demons you mention -- fear, anxiety, depression...and the verses you list are some of my favorites.
Thanks for being so transparent ~ I look forward to learning and growing right alongside you!
Post a Comment