Monday, August 3, 2009

Gladitude

Happy first week of August, everyone. I'm full o' the gladdies today:


10. I am ever so glad that I've finished watching the movie Hook. How Robin Williams, Dustin Hoffman, Julia Roberts, Maggie Smith, and Steven Spielberg could have all touched this movie and s.t.i.l.l. have it reek is beyond me. Maybe too much greatness collided or something...We're scraping the barrel's bottom for good, clean, fun, family movies. The kids didn't think it was horrid, so that's also something for which to be mighty glad.


9. Are y'all (look at me using "y'all" like I can) tired of hearing about the heat in the NW? That we broke all records known to man? Me too. I will readily admit that I have become an extreme weather wimp, whose bodily homeostasis is that of a salamander or banana slug. How veddy, veddy glad am I that the temp no longer reads this in my car:

And that we are some of the 13% of Seattle area folks with a/c.

8. Most certainly and effervescently glad for our new downstairs toilet. Woo hoo. In place of our often-takes-2-flushes, water hogging, inefficient monstrocity, we now have a "biscuit" colored commode, complete with low water usage flushing and slow closing lid/seat. Can I get a witness? And though the running up the stairs was good for us all, it's so nice to be able to run straight in from the garage and "call" it first.

7. Glad for our message at church, discussing Luke 9:37-45. Perhaps it was formally addressed to me--not sure. Basically, though, we heard about how Jesus' closest disciples at one point were able cast out demons, and within the space of about a week, they couldn't. Because. of. a. lack. of. faith. They started to believe in themselves and their abilities, rather than His strength in their weakness. Hello, Drifters. Except, I can't cast stones to John-Boy and the rest. Because you could really substitute my name in for his or Peter's, or any of the disciples. I have the book which tells how the story ends, but unless i'm in it d.a.i.l.y., I drift. I don't lurve that this spoke to my heart, yet, I'm glad God loves me and meets me where I am.

6. Glad for Espresso Chocolate Chunk gelato at The Spotted Cow. Oh, mooooo, baby.

5. Glad for my most excellent jogging partner. I have to say, I'm not at the level of accountability that I would get my hiney out there all alone. It's still too much of a grind for me, despite the fact that the longest we jog (so far, we're still in training) is 20 minutes. What a great lesson in humility when faced with those who CAN run, do triathalons, marathons, and even those who RUN, rather than JOG in 5Ks. I cannot fathom the level of fitness those folks possess.

4. Glad that Big is coming home tomorrow night. He was gone for most of the weekend, which bites, because we actually enjoy family togetherness on Saturdays and Sundays. Ah, well. At least he doesn't have to go to China for a bit. Glad he and I had a little lunch date on Friday to give us a little time together before he left.

3. Glad my girly is back from camp. She had a ball, and didn't get sunburned. Woo hoo. "Mom, did you know it was 113 degrees on Wednesday?" Yes, the weather was all the talk down at camp, too. Thank the Lord for jetskis. The boy gets to go this weekend to his youth camp. Big step, as it's not 90 minutes away like J's. His is over the mtns. Thrilled that he gets to go, and will pray that no rattlesnake bites him.

2. Glad my girly-girl-back-from-camp is finished hurling. Yes, she brought more than her dirty clothes home for us to enjoy. Glad that her father wasn't alone with her at the moment she blew, for he was utterly useless stunned, like a deer in the headlights. This man has many attributes for which I am glad. However, handling sick children is not one of them. Apparently his adrenaline rush paralyzes his thoughts and actions. It's okay. I'm a doer, and it's a good thing that I love puke. This story will end, and it has a great ending--arent you gladdy? Tonight, J. is fever free and feeling good. And the rest of us knock on wood are feeling groovy.

1. Sa-glad. Sa-glad= sad + glad. Very glad that I'll be meeting some amazing women this week. In fact, though some of them have met in real life before, I have yet to MIRL them all. It will be sweet and full, I'm sure, and I'm promising myself to beat the performance anxiety/first date jitters out of myself by early Thursday. I'm sad, though about those who won't be able to join, despite right reasons not to. Know that the courage to invite people from my computer into my life comes from you, too. As someone dear said last night--let this just be the first visit.

Photobucket

13 comments:

Mich said...

From toilets, to hubby coming home...your lists always make me smile. Thanks!

Have a great week! I know you are excited about meeting old friends.

Denise said...

Awesome list sweetie, love you.

Carpool Queen said...

My husband freezes at the puking, too. I get the bucket. It doesn't bother me - let it out, baby, let it out.

Amber said...

I love your gladaciously gladdie lists. Always.

And I'm a hair holder when it comes to barf. Bring it on. The husband...not so much. If I ever get sick, I'm left holding my own hair.

Have a groovy Monday, Jewels.

Shanda said...

And here I thought we were the only family who is avoiding our downstairs bathroom!! We were discussing the replacement just last night. Hoping it will make my own "Glad" list soon!

Awesome list, as always. I know you will have a blast with your IRL moments. Give Amber a hug for me-would love to meet you both IRL someday!

Tiffani said...

I know everyone may say "what the HUH?" But, my hubby TOTALLY handles the vomitage. If he's not here and I HAVE to I will..but he's the cleaner upper and I LOVE/ADORE him for that!

Great list ya have going on and I'm sa-glad too about the upcoming time w/ friends. BUT, hold out a bit of time when you come to the Masters ok?! Grits, my treat.

Cathy said...

Someday my time will come...(sang to the tune of "Someday My Prince Will Come")...to meet some of these wonderous woman in person. In the mean time, I'll just be "glad" for you!!! ...and try to not puke from the nerves of the meet-up...at least not w/ hubs in the room.:)

So how does this meme work? Does it need to be 10? Cause I was just getting ready to write my fust evah Gladitudes.:)

His Girl said...

you know what I'm glad for? that I don't have to wait much longer!

and a hearty AMEN to only the first time :) I'm so sad about those who can't be there too ...

Mels Place in Big Bear said...

Your lists are always inspiriing. And even though I was not invited to join you all this weekend... ahem... I sure hope you all have fun. (I'd have said no anyway, but I'm an L.A. party girl and like to be asked! Hrumph!)

Seriously, have a great time.

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Your lists always make me smile. This one made me laugh out loud a few times!

102? Wow.

Jackie said...

I cannot believe it is hotter where you live than where I live. That's just not right.

Y'all are going to have a BLAST. And you better take a ton of pictures and post them here so the rest of us can live vicariously through you. :)

Susie Q said...

Meeting new friends in real life!! How awesome is that!
You always have the best glatitude days...what is it about men and bodly functions? Poor things are useless!
I needed to read the part about having faith...I have been keeping faith that God will help heal my brother and sis in law's marriage. I have yet to tell you about it but they separated while we were on our trip. I am so sad and upset and trying to stay out of it all. They are seeing a counselor and I am praying SO hard. We would all be devastated if they split. I need to keep the faith...I AM keeping the faith! Prayer works!

Love and hugs to you sweet Gretchen,
Sue

Becky said...

Glad your girl is better, too. You are DA MOM, handling sick kids with such aplomb...I'm the one in our home that freezes up and/or hurls myself (I'm a sympathy puker).

LOOOOVED your list.

Hope your bloggy-peeps getaway is rich and warm and wonderful. It was GREAT seeing you IRL while I was there...hope to do so again one day.