Ahem: Planned Obsolescence (as defined by Dictionary.com)
–noun
a method of stimulating consumer demand by designing products that wear out or become outmoded after limited use.
Also called built-in obsolescence.
Origin: 1965–70
I'm over it now.
Mostly. But...
Well, here's the sitch...the long and the short of it. I happen to have a first generation iPhone. She's not the 3G or even the 3GS, but she's mine, and I lurve her. I call her Apple, and she was given to me on my 39th b'day, 17 months ago. And I have only just begun to explore all her happy applications...like Twitter, and Facebook, and Google...
Apple has a ringer switch which has gone haywire. The switch has gotten too loose, and now it slides randomly between "ring" and "silent". You might imagine the problems this back and forth might cause. Because as many fun applications as you can buy for an iphone, they really are used also for p.h.o.n.i.n.g.
So given this problem, I made an online appt with the "Genius" bar at our local apple store. Understand that you cannot merely just go in and ask a question, since you're meeting with geniuses. It's technical. So...I made a 2:50 appt for today. After seeing my name on the flat screen "waiting room" as the number one customer in line and sitting at the Genius Bar for a few minutes, I was seen by a person who told me I needed to check in with the "concierge" (REALLY?). Okay. That done, I waited. Finally Vlad appeared.
After I stated the problem, he turned the phone over a couple of times in his hand and said, "Well, the only way to fix this is to get a new phone for $199.00."
Me: "No, no...you don't understand, it's just this little switch. Please just put a new one in and I'll be good to go."
Vlad: "I'm sorry, that's not how we do things here. Let me check your warranty. I see that it expired in March 2009. You would need to purchase a new phone. We don't open them to fix them."
Me: (taking it in...starting to reel) "So...I'm bringing you a phone which has a small problem, and works perfectly internally, and you tell me I need a new phone? Do all your phones expire after the one year warranty?"
Vlad: "Um...no. It's certainly your choice. Of course you can look up on the internet someone who might fix switches on iphones..."
Me: "So...really? Really, I have to use this broken phone or buy a new one, or find some random person who might fix a switch?"
Vlad: "Well, I see a scratch here, and a ding there. That might've caused it. I'd recommend a hard case."
Me: (also reeling that he was trying to sell me a hard case) "I know this isn't your problem, but that's shoddy workmanship, don't you think?"
Vlad: "You can take some time to think about what you want to do."
And that was that. So...I called my husband, and texted poor Sus to help talk me off of the ledge. You know why? It's not the money. Really. I'll save for another phone and make due. In our economy, getting a new phone just isn't the first place I want to place my cash. It's not the fact that I had to go to a shi shi "Genius" bar to have this inane 2 minute conversation, when I could've saved a trip and phoned--but no, you must make an appt, and you must go in. You must.see.a.genius. None of that talking on the phone stuff for a...phone issue.
What made me most mad and frustrated and upset...completely aside from the damaged phone...was that Vlad didn't give a rat's patoot about my dilemma. I was a number. A silly housewife with an out-dated iphone. In all our technical prowess of replacing and refining and slick headsets and matching t-shirts and concierge services, we sometimes forget that people, with feelings and needs, wishes and dreams are still a part of the total equation.
So, um...yeah. I think I'm over it.
14 comments:
Bless your heart, I would feel the same way. That is crazy, love you.
Grrrr..
I'm growling for you. Because my precious Rosie will, I'm sure, meet her match at the shi shi genius bar. And then I, too, will have to text Sus to talk me down.
Or maybe I'll just go TP roll my Vlad's house. That always made me feel better in highschool.
Hope Apple feels better soon. And Apple's mama.
If Apples just weren't so wonderful! And the Apple store is so pretty and shiny and they all have colorful t-shirts.
My favorite iPod died before the move and I seriously considered having a funeral.
Yeah, it's a racket, dadgumit. And now I think I'm off to wrap my iPhone in bubble wrap to keep it safe.
I think it's perfectly acceptable to strip a gear when we're talking iPhones.
Or Sonic onion rings.
Some things I deem worthy of a "righteous anger".
this didn't even show up in my reader... no wonder I didn't get the tweet last night. so soddy.
this is an outrage, fo sho. as far as the 200 bux, wouldn't it have been fun to dump a pursefull of nickels on his genius station?
So sorry for you & Apple! Thank goodness you can still text so Sus could talk you off the ledge!
I miss the good ole' days where people actually made a product that would last well into the next generation...but, then again, that was back when everyone bought "American made" items. (I sound old there don't I?!) In all of our outsourcing to have things done cheaper I think, perhaps, we have been duped a bit.
Most times you can turn in your old phone for an exchange discount...no doubt the shi shi genius guy just forgot to mention that..
I feel your pain. I too have an "old" iphone because being the loving, giving Mom that I am, I used the upgrade I was eligable for to one of my spoiled children. I think you showed commendable constaint while in the company of said "genius."
Good Luck with Apple.
Totally hissy-worthy!
Oh man. I am so sorry. that does stink. Maybe you could try calling ATT&T? I would think you should be eligible for an upgrade by now through them. I have not been to the Genius bar yet...but I have found AT&T to be willing to do things to keep your business. And you can deal with them on the phone...
Worth a try?
BOO on planned obsolescence. It's like Dentists...they KNOW they have you over the ropes and can charge through the teeth (heh heh) for procedures that are probably completely unnecessary, because how are we to KNOW if these things are needed or not?
I have had a similar beef with my home appliances. My less than 5 year old white Kennmore washer bit the dust the day before we left on our vacay. It'll cost more to fix than to buy a new one.
Which chaps my hide, because I gave away a mismatched set we had from two houses ago (in brown and mustard yellow)to a niece who is STILL using them daily! The same set that her mother FIRST started off with 30+ years ago! Both her mother and I are regretting having ever given them away in favor of the newer models, lol.
I do feel sorry for Apple. Her life cut short so soon after really starting to live to her full potential, lol.
What?
That is ridiculous!
And poor Apple...bless her little switch-problem heart.
I always drink coffee to help me in these situations!
i"m an Apple lover through and through and I would have been REALLY aggravated....
I hear ya, girl... I hear ya!
UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
I'm mad FOR you. That's just wrong.
I gave up on waiting for Verizon to get an iPhone, but was equally furious when they wouldn't let me upgrade my phone last week. Evidently I have to wait until September 22 to buy a new one. What? They won't let me spend my $$? Stupid.
Post a Comment