Monday, August 31, 2009

Gladitude

Howdy! Well...it's finally happening, the Pac NW is beginning school. A few assorted private schools and districts are, anyway. Feeling mighty late to the party on that one. Nonetheless, this back-to-school week for D (next week for J) leaves me glad for a number of reasons.


10. August is over. Can I have a witness? August is the l-o-n-g-e-s-t month in the entire year...and though it is hot and summery and holds great memories...it's also 2nd only to February as my least favorite month in the year.


9. David the history professor starts school on Tue. He's not thrilled about the early wake-up calls, but since he goes to an alternative school, he's glad that he only gets up early twice a week. I know he's excited to be an 8th grader, and I stand amazed that in 5 short years, I'll be watching him leave for college/trade school/basic training. Okay...onward. This is a GLAD post, right? :)


8. 2 Words: September weather. For us, this means cool mornings and warm afternoons, and usually...SUN.


7. Glad to be starting the fall season at our church after this weekend. To be honest...a lot of things are cha-cha-changin' (cue David Bowie), and I don't feel completely at ease with the changes (since I'm rigid), but I trust that our leadership is God fearing and God directed, and our church needs something. We've been in a valley for a while now, and I'm glad to see some measures taken to prayerfully examine and refute the status quo. Glad today for a superiffic message, too.


6. Glad that Big made it safely home from China.




5. Glad that I got to meet Cathy on Thursday! Aren't we the cutest?!! Actually, after Google gave her the wrong directions (whassup widdat?), she and her sweet hubby managed to find me in my little berg. We had gelato and chat, and I met 3 of the cutest kiddos. Poor L., he was just nursing a flying/landing too hard on his face injury from a local fast food establishment (not as holy as Chick Fil A, apparently, as they did nothing, I'm told, to help when he fell). But he was smiley and adorable. And sweet grown up E. gave me some lurvely zucchini/pumpkin bread which was inhaled upon my return home in approximately 17 seconds by my vultures hungry children. As Cathy said, this was bittersweet b/c we finally got to sit down and chat, and then it was over. Since she is my closest neighbor bloggy friend, I really hope to do this again as often as we can. What's 250 miles between friends? So this was a definite gladacious highlight. And can I just say...WHAT a sweet hubby. I mean, really. Not in the "I'm.stealing.your.hubby.because.I'm.a.freak" way, but in the "awww...what a good daddy and hubs" way. One quick note...my dtr is a pro at me having bloggy friends now. However, she's so used to pseudonyms that she teased me about going to see "Cathy" ("If that's her real name, Mom."). Thought that was cute, and very of the age in which we live. Oh...and another thing: Honey/lavender gelato-chocolate brownie gelato split scoop = h.e.a.v.e.n.



4. Glad that my son will be getting a shearing hair cut this week. For I'd like to see his face again.





3. Glad that my dtr got to go to our state fair on Sunday and eat fair food--roasted corn, cheeseburger and cotton candy and ride fun rides with her besty. Because that's what the end of summer is for. Superliciously glad that I didn't have to go. This time. :)





2. Glad that our dog likes music.


1. Glad for Sunday nappage, for good books to read, for 20 minute timers--so that I can do distasteful tasks in little bits, a God who isn't surprised by anything, and the love of my friends and family.


Photobucket

15 comments:

Mich said...

As always, love the list. Cute pics.

His Girl said...

a God who isn't surprised by anything.

amen amen amen

Tiffani said...

what a great list!!

I love that your big'ol dog is on the bed...that's a true dog lover right there..my Shugey's fave spot.

I do not know a thing about gelato??!!

250 miles is NOTHING..girl, I'd be makin' the trip every weekend if I were that close to you!!!

And YES..GOODBYE, AUGUST!!

Denise said...

Enjoyed your list sweetie, love you.

Amber said...

As always, lovey your listy goodness.

And still super mightily elated/jealous/happy/misty about your MIRL with Cat. One day, sweets. One day.

Carpool Queen said...

Roasted corn will be served in heaven, I am SURE of it.

Praying for you in the midst of change, for I am not only queen of the carpool, but of rigidity as well. Order and structure and routine are comfort zones for me. Good thing I married someone who blazes new trails. Gets me out of my rut.

Cathy said...

Oh my dear, meeting you is at the top of my "gladdies" list! I'm SO glad it worked out. So glad the hubs was willing.

What's 4 hours one way, right? Tag. You're it. ;)

Angie said...

Loving all your gladitudes this week! Your dtr is looking super cute with that guitar!

Anonymous said...

I love glad days with the Gretchen.

I'm still trying to figure out why in the south, we start school in August while it is still a bazillion degrees outside, but our cooler neighbors to the north don't start until closer to fall. I don't get it.

Bev said...

Sounds like alls right in your world, and I'm glatitude for that! Arent GR's just the best, they'll curl up with whoever is available and be their very best friend, regardless of what the music might sound like!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad that I am checking in with my Island Girls tonight...

That last pic of J with the puppy, and your gladdy, made me laugh out loud!

Miss you!

Jenster said...

10. I'll testify!

9. Five years is a LOOOONG way away! (are you believing me?)

8. AMEN!

7. Change is always hard - especially when you've been perfectly happy with the way things have been going. But change is also good and the way you trust in God will absolutely be blessed!

6. Yea!!

5. So happy you got to meet Cathy IRL. Your time sounds delightful but much too fast. Hm. Sounds familiar.

4. I'd love to see my son's face again, too. Must schedule appointment.

3. Good for DG!!

2. :-)

1. Wonderful!!

Shanda said...

My goodness you've met a lot of bloggy friends IRL lately!! So sad I am way on the opposite side of the country...I'd love a little coffee and gelato amid conversation!

Loved your list! I actually stopped in the other day but didn't have time to comment. I am popping back in to let you know that I left a couple of awards on my blog for you (if you'd like.)

Blessings!!

Becky said...

Great post.

I hear ya on the August being looooooong.

Mels Place in Big Bear said...

Gretchen, I just love you. I do. If ever you are near L.A., please email or call me. Would LOVE to make you dinner.