
Good Morning! Thank you again, Amber for this kicky set of gladdy mcbannerisms. It's with mixed feelers that I put this banner up. If I put it up, it means that I'm saying g'bye to summer. And really, we've had a very nice summer. A summer full of trips and time spent with wonderful folk. A summer full of a lot of nothing. Except reading and enjoying. And lots of sunshine. A summer of occasional boredom, and time when we got under each other's skin b/c of the ubercloseness the time off from school brings.
It means that I concede to shorter, alas, rainier days. Days when it's so easy to sleep in b/c misty moisty is the morning and cloudy is the weather. Days that put me in RHonda for hours on end, commuting to both schools. And activities. And pumpkin spice lattes. And mulling spices candles,.And snuggling as I knit and watch football games. And going to sport activities and trying out for and rehearsing for plays. And school. This week, finally, you might be saying to yourself my daughter starts middle school.
So that's a little of what fall brings to me. And I'm glad for all of it.
Here are a few pictures of some end of summer glads...
It means that I concede to shorter, alas, rainier days. Days when it's so easy to sleep in b/c misty moisty is the morning and cloudy is the weather. Days that put me in RHonda for hours on end, commuting to both schools. And activities. And pumpkin spice lattes. And mulling spices candles,.And snuggling as I knit and watch football games. And going to sport activities and trying out for and rehearsing for plays. And school. This week, finally, you might be saying to yourself my daughter starts middle school.
So that's a little of what fall brings to me. And I'm glad for all of it.
Here are a few pictures of some end of summer glads...

This is all that is left after picking blackberries and making scones with them. I had never made scones before. I think my fam liked them more than I did. Still...fun to go from garden to oven. Drama Girl helped me make them. We don't really have a recipe. I had some Krusteaz pancake mix, so I used Apple damaged and broken as she is to look up the website. Sure enough, there was a scone recipe on their site.

Voila. I shouldn't tell you that it took our family of 4 only one day to go thru these. So I won't.
Pretend this picture is right-side up, will you? Thanks. As some of you who are daughters or have daughters know, some days are better than others 
The Bayview Farmer's Market on South Whidbey Island makes me glad. We like to get cheeeese, Grommit, and often a pie. This time the pie was nixed due to the scones. But we made up for it by purchasing a loaf of potato onion bread. The HERbal tea pic is a salute to my Island Girls. Whidbey is lurvely...but it's got some granola-to-the-nth-degree folks. We had a chuckle over them again last weekend.
Last night, Big took me to see Wicked. There are many things about this man which make me glad, and this is one of them. My man is not a handy man. He is not a gardener extraordinaire. He is not a purveyor of all things NASCAR. But he IS someone who lurves the theater and musicals almost as much as I do. When we were first married and had NO money what-so-ever, we used his frequent flyer miles and went to London. Of course having no money, we stayed on the cheap. But he had gone to London and other places in Western Europe with a band in high school, and had always wanted to go back. We scraped together the same amount it would've taken for us to go have pizza at a local pub, and were able to go see Miss Saigon in the nose bleedingest seats ever at the (I believe it's called) the Royal Theater on Drury Lane. We've been hooked on musicals and, to a lesser degree, plays ever since then. Wicked was sooooo amazing. I was glad to get to go alone with Big, but I can totally see me trying to save up again to take Drama Girl. Such good girl-power-friendship messages. And the music? Wickedly good. I fear I am a fan second only to our friend Tiffani, at Bears and Belles.
And last...I'm glad for some planned out romance by my hubs. He took me to 13 Coins. This picture is right outside their parking lot. With apologies to Jenster, I had to have a picture, even if it was on my no-megapixel phone. Isn't the Space Needle pretty? 13 Coins is a Seattle landmark, and I'd describe it as a 60's-esque restaurant/club which was 90% elegant and 10% dive. Big and I sat in a big leather "sweetheart" booth, facing the bar. It was awesome. So we split a spinach salad and a dungeoness crab omelet. 
16 comments:
Your list was full of such goodness...laughed aloud at geriatric dachsunds, and smiled thinking of you two sitting in the sweetheart booth. Oh, and imagine this...I, too, commute to Pumpkin Spice lattes.
Loved your list!
Your list made me glad...
loved the pictures, loved the fact you got to go to a musical, loved date night...
Happy Labor Day!
Loved all your gladnness today.
Love this list...what a sweet husband! We've got lots of preteen drama going on here. I treasure the 'no, I really don't think you're the dumbest person on the planet' times too!!
Thank you so much for visiting my blog..have a great week!
oh, the HERbal tea! hahahaha!
You can't know how happy I am to see that fall banner... shall we call it the banner of hope? I can't wait for the season change here... though I understand why you'd like to hang on to the sunshine a bit more. I love all things fall and am just chomping at the bit to bust out a cardigan.
i heart wicked too. had to save up and take my girls back, and they were all about it. fun to sing theatre with my girlz. my husband goes with me happily, but never sings along.
not even the jean valjean/javert counterpoint.
Such a fun list, I love blackberries.
What a wonderful, wonderful list!!! And I LOVED hearing about you and Big's trip to London back early in your marriage. What wonderful memories!
I think Fall is on the way too...
Love your list...as always.
I'm still drooling over your night at Wicked.
So envious.
But not envious enough that I can't be glad for you!!!!! :)
Had to drop in and read your list! What a husband!! Sounded like an amazing time! I have yet to see "Wicked," but would love to.
Time off has already been good. I'm seeing all kinds of ways to invest into my hubby and kids and God is stirring a few things up within me. I miss the dailiness of conversing with so many of you all; but there is peace...I found it cool that you had sensed it was coming! Crazy how we can "know" people we've not yet seen face to face...kind of reminds me of our relationship with God...such intimacy and we have yet to see Him in all of His glory. Miss you girl!
Would have lurved to see Wicked!
Lurved that you got to see it!
LURVE that pic of you and darling daughter...still picturing her say "Cathy" with air quotation marks...still getting a chuckle out of it.
Lurve the fall banner. Lurve fall.
Lurve date nights and lurve that your hubby treated you like his "girlfriend". Lurve it when my hubs does that too!
Wow..that's alot of lurvin'. You'd probably lurve it if I stopped. But I can't help myself, because thanks to you, I lurve saying "Lurve"!!!
Lurve ya.;)
My daughter surprised me last year, for a birthday gift, with tickets to see Wicked together. It was fabulous, absolutely completely wonderful from start to finish. I've been reminded several times from blogland that pumpkin lattes are out again, and need to run over and get one TODAY!. Happy Fall sweet Gretchen, and that daughter of yours will be just fine in the next five years or so - promise.
What a fabulous end to summer/beginning of fall!
Love (lurve) the new banner, by the way!
HERbal tea.
Snicker.
But the scones? No laughing matter....
As always, your list makes me feel good. You've had some really nice things happen, and I especially love the sideways photo of you two girls because believe me, I totally understand about daughters. :-)
Finally starting to catch up on my bloggy reading. Sorry I haven't been by in a while. I am glad that you sound like you are perking up. I am so glad to know that you and your hubby share such a fun thing together. I have not been to the theater in ages. Your gladdies made me smile today.
Oh your little island South Whidbey Island sounds lovely. I love farmer markets and enjoy exploring them at a very slow pace.
Jeremy and I love musicals and theater. We have seen Wicked (J has seen it many many times - a perk of traveling and taking clients to shows while in NYC)and love the music. Jeremy sees at least one show everytime he goes to NYC. He actually is going to NYC after Thanksgiving and will be taking clients to a show and possibly to the Met for an opera. So sad that I can not go with him, but I have to remind myself his job is the reason I get to stay at home with my boys. My season will come when I can travel with him someday. :o)
So are y'all watching Glee? We are - love the music!
Post a Comment