Sugar is very tasty and is harmless in small doses. But, it can be harmful in large amounts.
One of the most dangerous things about sugar is that it is addictive. I know this because I am slightly addicted to sugar and my quest for the aforementioned mineral led me to steal some of my sister’s cereal, punishment for which I was assigned this essay.
One of the side affects of sugar addiction is that you are more at risk for type 2 diabetes. Type 2 diabetes affects the way Glucose (a.k.a sugar) is metabolized in the body and is caused by high blood sugar. It makes it more difficult for insulin to take care of your body. It can lead to rapid weight loss, fatigue, and excess thirst.
Another problem with sugar addiction is that it can lead to obesity. One third of Americans are now clinically obese. Obesity can cause a wide range of health problems and can increase your risk of a heart attack. Obesity can also lead to eating disorders, especially among adolescent girls, which are if possible even less healthy than obesity.
One of the most difficult things about sugar is that it really is not that bad in moderation, but is harmful in excess. My greatest personal challenge is to realize when to stop.
Sources:
The Mayo Clinic (type 2 Diabetes)
Down to earth health foods (Obesity)
One of the most dangerous things about sugar is that it is addictive. I know this because I am slightly addicted to sugar and my quest for the aforementioned mineral led me to steal some of my sister’s cereal, punishment for which I was assigned this essay.
One of the side affects of sugar addiction is that you are more at risk for type 2 diabetes. Type 2 diabetes affects the way Glucose (a.k.a sugar) is metabolized in the body and is caused by high blood sugar. It makes it more difficult for insulin to take care of your body. It can lead to rapid weight loss, fatigue, and excess thirst.
Another problem with sugar addiction is that it can lead to obesity. One third of Americans are now clinically obese. Obesity can cause a wide range of health problems and can increase your risk of a heart attack. Obesity can also lead to eating disorders, especially among adolescent girls, which are if possible even less healthy than obesity.
One of the most difficult things about sugar is that it really is not that bad in moderation, but is harmful in excess. My greatest personal challenge is to realize when to stop.
Sources:
The Mayo Clinic (type 2 Diabetes)
Down to earth health foods (Obesity)
So I have a lurve-hate relationship with days which have no plans--nothing on the calendar that we must do, except for those automatic nervous system things, like breathing. For, as much as down time is good, around here, it can mean lack of structure. And lack of structure might remind you of the "Idle hands..." saying. And indeed, some idle hands weren't so idle today.
We had some sugared cereal thievery between children today. They both have their own same sized bag of Rot Toothmeal, and have even penned their names on their bags in Sharpie. For apparently there isn't sharing of Rot Toothmeal in any shape or form. At this point, you can judge me for buying bagged cereal, rather than boxed cereal, because at the rate we go thru it, let's just say...I have to have $ left to pay the mortgage. But I digress. After said thievery occurred, there was much gnashing of teeth and yelling and there may have been soft touches bandied about between children.
I, of course, just wanted things to be quiet so I could
But I got to thinking...About stealing and about the lack of self control associated with
The next thing I did, was tell the offender that s/he must apologize to the offendee, and that as a disciplinary action, s/he needed to write a paper of 250 words re: the dangers of sugar addiction. S/he could write it in any format, using any subtopic (e.g. Type 2 Diabetes, stealing), but that I didn't want funky margins or font sizes. The next part of the disciplinary process is the presentation of the paper tonight at dinner. Can't wait.
Aren't you glad you're not one of my kids?
16 comments:
Too bad you aren't some kind of a decision maker on our judicial system...might be a whole lot less crime if they had to do all of that for stealing cereal! ;)
Here's hoping said child follows through on their own so you can have a nice dinner!
I love you, you are awesome.
beautimous! great parenting, lady!
excellent!!!
And all while you bantered with Whimz, Cat, and me about Reece's Pieces, M&M's, and buttered popcorn.
I won't tell your kids.
:)
I like it! Us "MEAN MOMS" need to stick together...
I'm trying not to "snicker" (bad choice of words) at Amber's comment...I really am.
(but you have to admit she's pretty funny, that Rascal Raiser. ;) )
I bow before your superior mom meanness. Impressive!
My kids would go on strike if I stopped buying sugary cereal. But I do by it in the bag.
You're one of the most awesomest moms! Serious!!
Hey! Wanna go hangout in a beachhouse this weekend?
You just moved to #1 on my "Admiration and Respect For A Fellow Mom" list.
You should reward yourself with chocolate and buttery popcorn.:)
Gretch,
What a delightful, funny story to start my morning. hee hee.
Wish I could read that paper. Hugs...
Oh, wow!! Impressive! That is so smart. I agree with His Girl and Shanda. I hope I can be as wise as this when I get that parenting season.
OK, I am clearly either sleep deprived or proving my blondeness, because before I grasped the sugary-ness of the cerel, I was actually re-reading your cereal name, thinking I'd never heard of it before. I assumed it was some fancy organic stuff... so imagine my delight to discover it was code for the-same-junk-i-feed-my-kids!
You are the best- seriously. I need to enforece come paper writing discipline over here... the list of topics is endless this summer:-)
That was GENIUS! Not only did he write that very well, but it's a lesson he will NEVER forget.
GO MOM!!
**writes this idea down for future use**
Good job on the "bliblical and teachy"! Your kids have such a good mama.
And you have smart kiddos! Great essay!
that was an AWESOME essay! three cheers for the boy and his momma and the lesson learned!
hip, hip, hooray!
hip, hip, hooray!
hip, hip, hooray!
Good for him- wow! I'm afraid an essay in my house might have been 250 words saying sugar is bad in different ways... "Bad sugar. Sugar is bad. Sugar isn't good etc..." so I'm very impressed with his effort and info:-)
Post a Comment