
Week 11 Discussion Questions(choose one or both or go your own direction)
1. What insight about the person & work of the Holy Spirit did you find particularly helpful or encouraging in this lesson?
2. Tell a specific way that the Holy Spirit has helped or is helping you to grow in your faith in Christ.
I'm choosing to go in my own direction today, because while I'm not trying to over-think things, I'm stymied. And to be truthful, and completely nekkid...I felt very inadequate in my understanding of the Holy Spirit; thus making it difficult for me to say where He has encouraged and/or helped grow my faith. Edited: Sorry...forgot to give awesome credit where its due: Amber and Melissa, thank you so much for hosting our study.
So this is what i have so far...You're more than welcome to read it and comment. But really, this is for me. Something I'm working through.
Dear Holy Spirit,
Please forgive me for ignoring you all these years. I never meant to, but indeed, I have. You see...I know You are part of a triune God. I know You are my Helper and Counselor until I meet Jesus and God face to face. But the truth is, I don't "get" where you fit in, so I often leave you out. It's much easier to gloss over or ignore stuff that doesn't make as much sense. In reading my Bible, I can often see where God stops and Jesus starts. However, even though I read passages about the fruit of the Spirit, and even am doing another study on (hello) patience, I can wrap myself around Jesus and God, but You...not as much. I feel a big sense of loss and failure as I type this, because I want to know you. How does someone who has committed her life to the Lord for the past 8.5 years not get this? I pray to God. I pray to Jesus. And I think I've even prayed to You, Holy Spirit, to fill me. But ask me what I thought I was doing, and simply talking to "God" comes to mind. Is that okay? Does the Holy Spirit in a triune God mind being called, simply, "God"? In my mind, I haven't given 1/3 of the Trinity its due. And I'm sorry. I pray that this would change. If anyone asked me about You, I'd tell them what I know from what I've read. However, it's God and Jesus which come to mind.
So...forgive me, I pray. I will walk in the truth that is You, despite my muddled understanding. For You are You regardless of my understanding. And I honor and thank You for that.
In Jesus' name. Amen.

1. What insight about the person & work of the Holy Spirit did you find particularly helpful or encouraging in this lesson?
2. Tell a specific way that the Holy Spirit has helped or is helping you to grow in your faith in Christ.
I'm choosing to go in my own direction today, because while I'm not trying to over-think things, I'm stymied. And to be truthful, and completely nekkid...I felt very inadequate in my understanding of the Holy Spirit; thus making it difficult for me to say where He has encouraged and/or helped grow my faith. Edited: Sorry...forgot to give awesome credit where its due: Amber and Melissa, thank you so much for hosting our study.
So this is what i have so far...You're more than welcome to read it and comment. But really, this is for me. Something I'm working through.
Dear Holy Spirit,
Please forgive me for ignoring you all these years. I never meant to, but indeed, I have. You see...I know You are part of a triune God. I know You are my Helper and Counselor until I meet Jesus and God face to face. But the truth is, I don't "get" where you fit in, so I often leave you out. It's much easier to gloss over or ignore stuff that doesn't make as much sense. In reading my Bible, I can often see where God stops and Jesus starts. However, even though I read passages about the fruit of the Spirit, and even am doing another study on (hello) patience, I can wrap myself around Jesus and God, but You...not as much. I feel a big sense of loss and failure as I type this, because I want to know you. How does someone who has committed her life to the Lord for the past 8.5 years not get this? I pray to God. I pray to Jesus. And I think I've even prayed to You, Holy Spirit, to fill me. But ask me what I thought I was doing, and simply talking to "God" comes to mind. Is that okay? Does the Holy Spirit in a triune God mind being called, simply, "God"? In my mind, I haven't given 1/3 of the Trinity its due. And I'm sorry. I pray that this would change. If anyone asked me about You, I'd tell them what I know from what I've read. However, it's God and Jesus which come to mind.
So...forgive me, I pray. I will walk in the truth that is You, despite my muddled understanding. For You are You regardless of my understanding. And I honor and thank You for that.
In Jesus' name. Amen.

9 comments:
you're reading my mail, Gretchen.
I feel 'zackly the same way. And I'm looking forward to seeing what happens now that I'm open to change.
(you're all linked up at my place, btw)
I'm with ya' on the Holy Spirit and I've been at this longer than 8.5 years. It's part of the mystery of God. But I think I need to pay more attention because some of the fruits are lacking and need nurturing. I think I know where to go get them.
I think if you totally believe in Christ and all He is, then the H.S. is ok with that, because you are believing in his power, even if you don't realize it.
When I think of the Holy Spirit, I think of "action." He is the reason for our desire to learn, share, and be all we can be for the Lord.
I so appreciate your honesty...being a Christian doesn't mean you have all the answers, but rather that you make it your goal to learn.
I totally understand your confusion.
I wise mentor of mine, just recently told me that...
"Without The Word, the Holy Spirit is mute, and without the Holy Spirit The Word is powerless."
I LOVED that. Cause it helped me to understand how Jesus, God, His Word, and the Holy Spirit are always working together, meant for eachother, ONE. And if you're in the Word, letting it richly indwell you, that IS the Spirit working! Maybe I'm being even more confusing. Sorry, if none of that made sense.:(
Thank you for being so honest. I LOVE that, too.:)
The Holy Spirit is a tough one to wrap the brain around, and I think He likes it that way.
And I LOVE how you worded your complication of wrapping your brain around Him. Because I think you voiced it perfectly.
I feel the exact same way.
I'm the opposite. I totally "get"/"feel" the Holy Spirit. I could be wrong, but when I feel that stirring in my soul - that passion and that fire to write or compose music or poetry or make my kids laugh, I attribute that to the Holy Spirit. It can't all be me - that I'm just so good at whatever I'm good at. I'm blessed in certain things, and that's the Spirit. Now of course I have no scriptures to back up this claim right now, it's simply how I see it. What I have trouble with is accept Jesus as a man that came into the world and died for me. I have said yes to this, but it's very very very very very rough for me "comprehend". So, like your struggle with the Holy Spirit, I can only say "yes" and do my best in my non-human way to accept that I'm not supposed to get everything and that Jesus will refine me day by day, just like the HS will refine you.
Love you.
PS: That thing about me being "so good" at whatever I'm good at. It sounds a bit inflated. I don't mean it to be. I'm just saying that MY gifts are not from me. It's HIS gifts, which I hope shows humility as opposed to bragging. Thoughts?
I love you.
Wanted to drop by and say thanks for the sweet commentyou left on Teachable Hearts, on my guest post. Drop by and see my blog anytime.
Post a Comment