On July 13th at 9:51 a.m., weighing in at 7 lbs. 13 oz, you arrived, and I officially became an adult. Well, that's not entirely true. I suppose I was an adult before this, but I became an adult who henceforth started wearing my heart on the outside of my body on the day you were born.My incredible, amazing son, this Gladitude's for you. And I thought, in celebration of you're becoming a teenager, 13 gladdies would be fun, instead of my usual 10.
13. I'm glad you
12. I'm glad that you enjoy your Star Wars Role Playing Games. Even though I'm little more than a bobblehead with this interest--I try, son, I do--your passion is contagious, and I only wish that there were more boys your age in the area who were as passionate about all the Star Wars generations and species of folks as you are. I know I'm not even calling them the right things, so I'm moving on.
11. I'm glad that, though you've had your ups and downs, and sometimes this has included your spending more time with good old mom than you probably would've liked, we genuinely enjoy being together. I really like our car rides and listening to music together. It's fun to listen for the bass line together in songs, now that you're playing bass (a.k.a. "Fish").
10. I'm glad that you've been extraordinarily easy for me to dress. I simply buy shirts of several different colors, sans tags, of course, and make sure you have jeans, underwear, and one pair of decidedly foul shoes. Your needs are simple. We fight when it comes down to silly things like belts, socks, and buttondown shirts, so it's a good thing your life seldom requires them. :)
9. Your memory of lines heard only one time, whether in song, on TV, or in the movies totally slays me, David. It's spot on. Right now, I'm glad you like "Doug the Dog" from the movie UP.
8. And we both know...and are glad about...the person you resemble the most on TV:

Yes,
"Oh, were you trying to do small talk, sweetie?"
Small talk may not be your forte, but you're authentic, and funny, and think deeply. I s'pose you can leave the small talk to others.
7. Glad that you've been bitten by the acting bug once or twice, and your aforementioned memory makes me more than a little jealous for the times when I must memorize lines. It seems as if you're growing more into a behind the scenes artist (e.g. media), and I'm excited to see where that will take you.

"Romulus" 4th Grade

"Willy Wonka" 5th grade
6. Your love of animals makes me glad, David. I think it speaks to the gentleness in your nature and the type of man you'll be. When I'm fed up with the dogs, you always have something sweet to say about them. Darn it. ;)
5. The fact that you still sleep with don't kill me now, son Gus the one-eyed-no-nosed grizzly bear and defended his honor against some 5th grade meanies who denied his being "real" make my heart gladdened, indeed. Gus is now 12, since got him for you adopted him when you were 1. Wonder how long he'll stay together?
4. You've had to go through some really hard things this past year, David, including switching schools after feeling like you were kicked out of one. How I wish I could've erased the pain of that experience. But you know what? In a way, I'm glad for it. It's shown me that God is so faithful in you and with us all. You're in a new, great school now, and more than that...we're all learning to love and revere how you're made. Because God doesn't make junk. It's hard, son, not to feel "normal", but I assure you...there is no such thing.
3. Your differences have made you keenly aware of other's suffering and/or difficulties as well. Who wouldn't be so grateful for that. You're the biggest champion of other kids who don't fit the "normal" label that I know. Know that you make a difference when you treat folks gently and without preconceived notions, son.
2. I'm grateful for your love of God. I know you're frustrated when church is too loud or when folks sometimes tease you or when you feel like the message is boring because you've heard it before. Your love of God shows your gratitude for your life, and allows Him to see your faithfulness. He will never leave you, David. How glad I am that you know this. Grasp firmly to His truths.
1. In all my heart, I cannot fathom how we've gotten from here:





17 comments:
Happy Birthday!
What a beautiful reflection of a momma's love. Great post. Loved the pictures!
If you only lived closer, I could give D another Star Wars loving friend to talk to. And you and I could just be bobbleheads together.
Isn't it amazing what we learn about others and what we learn about ourselves through our children?
David,
Happy birthday! I think my son would totally be friends with you....he loves all those World Wars and history things and he is a big time Star Wars fan.
You mother had me weepy this morning. She loves you so very much. What an incredible mom she is!
Have a fantastic 13th birthday!
Oh! And that is an AWESOME cake!
How I lurrrrved this post. Filled with mom-love and good son stuff.
Happy Birthday, David!
Sounds like he and Jericho have a ton in common, too. (Perhaps we could all meet up whilst we are in your neck of the woods? We leave Thursday...WOOO HOO!)
Oh, and I LOVED the EYE glasses and Lips photo. Way cute.
Wow, you guys are so blessed to have each other. Happy birthday, D!
Such a sweet post, happy birthday to your dear son.
Sheldon!!! He's my stinkin' favorite!!!
Happy Birthday to a great kid with a great mom!!!
Love the pictures!!! :)
Beautiful. And did you make that cake??
What a treasure you have! So glad you wrote this down, Gretchen...even if it made me cry (don't worry, it's all I do these days) this morning. ;)
Birthday blessings to D!
And prayers for you as you journey into the teenage zone. Glad you're paving the way for me, dear!
Folks, I didn't make the cake. I saw it on Google, and thought it would be a great Gladitude banner for the day b/c David plays bass. Isn't it a great one?
But...alas...no.
He did get a choc. cake with vanilla frosting (with oreos crumbled in).
Oh my goodness, this is SO sweet! Happy Birthday, David!
I am so glad for the Sheldons of this world. Those boys who don't make sense to the world, but still change it for the better when they use those those extremely unique qualities God gifted them with to do it? They are amazing. I'm glad you have one living in your home, for not only are they rare, they are even more rarely appreciated for the treasure they are.
Happy birthday to David, and a pox on your for making me cry before 7 am.
SO precious! I wish I knew you in real life, to tell you in person how great this is! :)
Becoming a teenager is a big, big deal. Happy birthday to your son and I'll pray for you. LOL
The glasses you and he are wearing are hysterical. What great photos!
I know I always say this, but THIS is my favorite Glatitude Monday list! History Boy is truly one of my favorite virtual people. And you are truly one of my favorite moms!
Happy Birthday, David!!!
Happy birthday, David! You are one loved guy.
Beautifully said, and so wonderful to share a glimpse into the heart of a mom who so clearly "gets" her child.
Hope he had a wonderful day!
Post a Comment