Tuesday, December 9, 2008

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? While I lurve to wrap presents, it's always nice to have bags for "last five minutes before we leave" situations, plus for odd shaped presents, bags are easier. But wrapped presents are the fave.

2. Real tree or Artificial? Real. Usually a frasier fir. I have allergies, but for a month, I deal.

3. When do you put up the tree? Usually the weekend after Thanksgiving; but sometimes we put it off as long as December 7th. Not the first choice though.

4. When do you take the tree down? Usually on Jan 1 or 2. Sometimes, if it's reeeeeaally dry, the day after Christmas.

5. Do you like eggnog? No. And I don't drink snot, either. Just sayin'.

6. Favorite gift received as a child? Probably a Barbie or that dolly whose hair grows out of the hole in her head.

7. Hardest person to buy for? My in laws. Lordy, they have everything. And they save everything. But still--I never feel quite right about giving a gift to charity in their names. I sense that they still like to open a package.

8. Easiest person to buy for? Besides to me from me? ;) My children.

9. Do you have a nativity scene? Yes. I have a ceramic one which is fancy, but alas, we'll have to wait for the true coming of Christ since we've broken baby Jesus. How poetic is that? Sadly.
We also have a sweet Jim Shore set from my in laws. I heart that set dearly.

10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Mail!

11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? I actually can't think of one. AndI'm not being nice. I just can't.

12. Favorite Christmas Movie? Love Actually. Or any of the schmalzy made for TV movies on Hallmark, It's a Wonderful Life...Charlie Brown...the Grinch (cartoon)...Rudolph...Santa Claus is Comin' to Town...

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? In my head, I start in January, thinking of all the deals and good buys for so and so and such and such. Usually we're done by mid-December, though. I have a lot of good intentions.

14 . Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Oh yeah, baby. But I'm a crafty one. And never a personal gift.

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? chex mix and all those nummy cookies that my neighbors bake and that I have no business eating! I also love the traditional foods--but we could skip the turkey.

16. Lights on the tree? Of course. I like white, but this year we're trying red and white, and I actually am quite fond of them.

17. Favorite Christmas song? Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth sung by David Bowie and Bing Crosby. I remember seeing the Christmas special which had this song in 3rd grade, and I've always luuuuuurrrrved it.

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? Home. You can come visit us, but we like home.

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? Yes. But is it Donner or Donder? I vote for Donner.

20. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? One gift on Christmas Eve. PJs. The rest on Christmas morning (or 0-dark-thirty, as I always say).

21. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? Mall parking. Traffic. Seeing the Salvation Army bell ringers when my wallet is out of cash.

22. Favorite ornament theme or color? I love all of our ornaments. There's a story behind each one, whether a time in our lives or a trip or a craft from little hands.

23. What do you want for Christmas this year? I want our troops to come home soon. I want peace in my heart and in the hearts of others. I want a really nice light for my sewing or some Cashmere Mist perfume. But, I'd gladly settle for the four of us around the tree/fireplace with hot cocoa and blankets and an old movie and buttered popcorn.

7 comments:

Angie said...

Loved your post. It made me feel all Christmas-y - which is sort of hard when it's 89 degrees outside and I'm sweating. :-)

Cheryl Wray said...

Great list and answers! I know that you will have a fantastic Christmas!

(You know, I've never seen Love Actually, but everyone keeps saying how good it is. Maybe I will treat myself to it this season. Our favorite movie is It's a Wonderful Life and we are so looking forward to seeing it next week at our old, vintage movie theatre downtown.)

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

Glad I wasn't drinking egg nog when I read your #5 or it would have come out my nose!

Tiffani said...

I can't wait to do this tomorrow!!

I loved your answers..we have "story" ornaments too! I want to see Love Actually...

I absolutely love Little Drummer Boy (that version) too...who knew David Bowie could actually sing!?


great list of responses, Gretchen!

Suzanne said...

You had me almost laughing out loud several times with that post (especially with #5). Unfortunately, that's not a good thing since I'm in the In School Suspension room right now! If I laugh, I lose control of the classroom in here. Guess I'll have to read your blog when I'm elsewhere! :)

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I always forget about Love Actually being a Christmas movie. I watched it not long ago, and I love it. Kinda sad the way it ends for one couple though.

Jenn said...

Enjoyed reading about your christmas choices. I have not seen Love Actually - I will have to rent it.