Saturday, December 13, 2008

Christmas Perfekshion

Yes, I'm a poser because this isn't the photo which will be in our cards this year. But we all agreed that it should be. The most obvious reason: "Because Mommy started out mad, and now we're laughing and we all love each other." ~ Drama Girl.

Yes, mean old, cratchety old, controlling old, heavy-on-the-expectations old mommy was mad. I was mad because:

  • I've been trying to get this family photo done together since--oh, about November 1st.
  • I had to harp on both children to shower. What is UP with this? We happen to have warm, blissfully clean and wet showers. It's not like I asked them to stand in front of a hydrant or a peeing dog for heaven's sake!
  • Drama and I had an argument over her jeans. You can see who "won".
  • David would not settle down so this above picture is about the 10th where his dad bellowed, "either be in or get out". Harmony is what we're all about.
  • Sometimes, you just want things the way you want them. Period. You don't want to be mature, take the high road, or hear any complaining. You want your peeps to simply SMILE! and be GRATEFUL!!! and CUTE! AAAARRRRRRrrrggh!
  • It occurs to me that this is a prayer for grace on my part.
  • And if you're wondering...the animules didn't make the final cut either.

Does anyone flippin' feel me? Anyone at all?

But don't worry. I'm not mad any more. That's the nice thing about an unstable, explosive, open and honest personality. There are no mysteries as to where folks stand. And the fires only burn until either a) guilt overcomes or b) diet coke is consumed.


12 comments:

Denise said...

I love you, and I love this picture.

His Girl said...

first, phenomenal picture, and second? holy moly, I had to yell at my kids to get them to come over and take a stinking picture, too. And yes, we ended up laughing... and barefoot.

some battles are just not worth it.

Angie said...

I've been known to bribe #2 son with a toy to pose joyfully for a professional family photo (he was 6 and all previous family photos showed him with arms crossed looking the other way!). Nowadays someone is usually in tears (that is NOT an exaggeration) and you can usually tell in one of the shots that I'm muttering or shrieking commands through clinched teeth and a fake smile. It's always a happy family moment when we take a pic of everyone. I don't understand why it's torture for them?????

Becky said...

I'm so feelin' ya on this, Gretchen!

It's great to know that there are other shrewish, I mean, loving and gentle moms that do on occasion yell things at their children like, "SMILE and try to at least look like a happy, loving family!" Of course, that would be all those, ahem, other women out there, because you know, I'm gentle and sweet all the time. Or not. Ahem.

Love your picture...and that you're all giggling and the animals are in there and everything. Too cute!

Barb said...

I would have used this photo for the cards because it's great, animules and all. And geez. You all had sooo much fun making this picture. LOL

Oh yeah, I've been there. As a matter of fact, my girls are grown women now and still don't like me taking their photo. I'm pretty sure this battle goes on forever and ever.

I'd love to see the photo you DID use! If it's better than this one, it must be great.

Julie said...

Why is it SO hard to get pictures of our kids????

You'd think we wanted to extract a molar or something without anesthesia....

I FINALLY got one after they decorated the tree, but they weren't dressed up. Sometimes you just have to settle, right...

You make me feel normal!

Hugs,
Julie

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I feel ya, girl!

You're going to laugh when you get our Christmas card because guess what? We're all wearing black tops, sitting in front of our Christmas tree with our dog.

It turned out great, but I was MAD before we took it. Had a rough morning and things progressively got worse.

We're good now though...I think the picture helped!

Kelly said...

Oh Gretchen, Big's comment to be in or get out absolutely cracked me up!!! Sounds exactly like our photo session last year as we commemorated our last day at the cabin. I thought we would be divorced and have the children taken home by grandparents by the end shot.

So glad you were able to end up laughing- what a beautiful family:-)

Brandy said...

Oh my goodness! you're killing me!!! Big fat LOL - and pass the Diet Coke already.

Tiffani said...

This is wonderful...I would've used it for the card..

Um, Gretchen, are you sure that's a dog and not a LION sitting there with you???? Holy moly!!

I think the photo captures a sweet essence of fun in your family!

p.s.--my sister is certain her daughters are forever traumatized for her HIDEOUS behavior in trying to get them to cooperate for a picture...

Mels Place in Big Bear said...

I think it's hilarious that the golden retarded has the same expression as David. I mean, really, it's just the photo, but good Lord, funny stuff. You look fabu, my dear.

Jenn said...

Oh Gretchen sounds like many a photo shoots with my clan. I am always mad at myself when it is over because we were all so upset with each other while trying to create this wonderful photo memory but the memory of the time taking the picture is just yucky.

Nice to know that y'all ended on a happy note (we always do too). Love the picture and your right it should have made the Christmas card! :o)