Saturday, December 20, 2008

Howdy, howdy, hey, ho, ho, ho.

My bloggy friend Bev has this meme up at her place. Again, because the subject of me apparently has no bounds, I'm delighted to share my answers, too. Please play along if you wish...

Five things I love about Christmas:

#1 - Thinking and Scheming. About the whole Christmas holiday. Mind you, I don't follow through on all of my plans, but by October, I'm really gearing up for Christmas in my mind. Reading all the decorating books and magazines. Gathering recipes I'll never use I'd like to try. In my mind, I'm far more adept at "doing Christmas" than Martha herself. The gifts, the food, the atmosphere--in my mind? Amazing. Now, don't worry--I don't get so hung up on these plans that I get disappointed. Nah...I just like to dream a little.

#2 - Devotions by Christmas tree light. I turn the tree lights and the lights on the mantle first thing in the morning, and sit right between them and breath Him in as I do my Advent study and prayer time. I wish I could find something as special for my mood for the rest of the year for my "morning time" because this is just magical. Then again, perhaps it's magical partly because I only have a tree for about 3-4 weeks a year.

#3 - Christmas Music! Whether we are at church or in the car, or making cookies, I lurve the music. My current favorite is: I Need a Silent Night, by Amy Grant, and

#4 - Driving through the neighborhood, seeing the lights. Our neighbors do such a great job, and my favorite house each year is the one we call "The Gingerbread House". Even its architecture screams Christmases of Yesteryear. I'll even go around our neighborhood by myself after running a child here or there just to enjoy a bit of this festivity.

#5 - The Food: Most specifically, both savory and sweet chex mixes. Lordy, they're dangerous for me. And Little Smokies pigs in blankets. Oh, take me now! Of course, any type of cookie is grand. Not particular about type there. ;) January has got to come sometime and then I'll be sensible. Well, as sensible as I get.

And to quote Bev and agree entirely, "There you go, that's what comes to mind, and if I could add one more it would be when everyone in our church passes the lit candles til we're all standing there holding one little candle, singing Silent Night with all the lights turned off, and seeing parents looking around, nervous that Little Billy is going to set his sister's hair on fire, and seeing Little Billy considering doing so!"

Merry Christmas!

5 comments:

Denise said...

I love you dear.

His Girl said...

#2 - Devotions by Christmas tree light. I turn the tree lights and the lights on the mantle first thing in the morning, and sit right between them and breath Him in as I do my Advent study and prayer time. I wish I could find something as special for my mood for the rest of the year for my "morning time" because this is just magical. Then again, perhaps it's magical partly because I only have a tree for about 3-4 weeks a year.
yes, this! exactly this. Was totally going to blog about this but see you've covered it wonderfully!

Mels Place in Big Bear said...

Perhaps you could get one of those mini trees and light it up just in the morning for yourself?

Jenster said...

Great list!! And silly me - after I wrote that scathing "Grinch" post, I'm looking forward to being home next year and pulling out all the stops on decorating. I'm such a fickle ninny.

I like #2. Very much do I like #2.

I also like eggnog. No, I don't like it. I love it. Adore it. Cherish it. Really I do.

Cheryl Wray said...

Love your list!!! I didn't get any pigs n' blankets during Christmas, so I may just have tomake them for New Year's Eve. Mmmm.