Friday, February 19, 2010

A Feel Good About Yourself Post

Wouldn't it be so funny if you went on a 3.5 day transcontinental journey, and when you got home, after 8 hours of airports and flying, you accidentally picked up someone else's bag at the baggage claim?  A bag that looks just like yours, but shouldn't have because you were clever and far-sighted enough to purchase a plum colored carry-on, rather than the everyone-has-black color, thereby avoiding all possibility of a silly little luggage twin mixup snafu.  Also, wouldn't it be hilarious if you didn't tag your carry-on because it was to be always with you, but the oversold, overpacked United plane people told you that you had to check it at the gate because you were in seating area hell the 4th out of 4 seating areas and all the other space hogs before you had taken YOUR overhead bin there wasn't any available room in the overhead compartments? 

What would really be a scream is getting that twin bag home and gLeefully unzipping it to bless your sweet children with their airport-purchased Raleigh and Durham sportswear, only to find PINK, FLANNEL POLKA-DOTTED PAJAMAS which were NOT yours?

However, the "funnest" part of the whole evening--the piece de resistance, if you will, would likely be when you found the little luggage name and phone number tag, and you mustered your courage to call the person who owned your the other plum bag.  She may or may not have been justifyably ungracious upon receipt of said call. 

Lastly, the most precious part of the whole scenario might've been trucking down to SeaTac at 6:45 a.m. the next morning (24 hours before you will truck back to drop off your spouse) with your sleepy daughter who is on midwinter break and loves to sleep in helpful child who you might've bribed blessed with a McDonald's meal to be a space holder for you, so that you could drive in the carpool lane in rush hour traffic. 

Welcome to my world. 

Photobucket

19 comments:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

OH MY GOSH. That is just awful, Gretchen.

So sorry for the drama.

But you made me laugh out loud with your use of "precious". Evidently, being in the South rubbed off on you a little.

Btw, what a cute plum bag.

And is it just me, or do you wish you had done something a little villanous with that rude woman's toothbrush? Like say, cleaned your tub grout? And then put it back in her bag. She'd never have been the wiser. I'm sure of it. ;)

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

One more thing: Every time I've had to check my bag at the gate, I don't retrieve it from baggage claim. They usually put those items on the bridge thingy. Was that the issue, maybe?

His Girl said...

so many comments i can't begin.

laughing WITH you.

Tiffani said...

oh my goodness, Gretch!

That just STINKS because I'm sure you were already in a bit of funk after leaving your girlies!

Can't WAIT to hear about the good stuff from said transcontinental journey!

Glad you made it back safely albeit with someone else's Professor Plum suitcase!

Becky said...

Oy. What an ordeal!

You were a good sport, trekking it down to the airport for her convenience (even though she was rude) when you could have waited 24 hours.

Jewels in your crown, girl.

Unknown said...

Oh! That is so sad!

Speaking of sad....

I'm still trying to get my mojo back. I'd gotten used to you being my side kick for the last 72 hours. Eventually I'm gonna blog about it...but my mind and typing skillz need to catch up with my heart!

Amber said...

Ugh. Double ugh. And a triple Ugh just for kicks.

Wouldn't it have been super fun though if you had opened the suitcase and found, not pink jammies, but something way crazy or better yet incriminating???
Snicker. Snort. My imagination gets the better of me sometimes. :)

That sucks though, G, because I know you were already heavy in your heart from leaving your girlies...the last thing you needed was not getting the comfort of using your very own toothbrush that had last been rinsed in CoffeeGal's water.

Can't wait to hear all about your trip...after the processing time is over, of course.

Mich said...

Wow!

I want to feel bad for you, but I have to be honest, you had me laughing out loud!

The bright side? It made for good blogging!!!

Julie said...

Oh Gretchen.... how frustrating.... I guess you just gotta laugh after a while, huh? Love your sense of humor...

Love the bag!

Gretchen said...

I'm thinking "ungracious girl" needs to get a life, or at least get a blog so she can appreciate good blog fodder when she sees it.

So glad you were at least able to get your bag back... it could have been gone for good.

Miss you already!
Hugs, hugs!!!

Marla Taviano said...

That STINKS. I am soooo sorry, friend!!

Jen said...

trying not to laugh *at* you, but definitely *with* you....hahahaha...thank you, i so needed a good chuckle tonight!!

Denise said...

Sorry for all you went through.

Anonymous said...

Oh no!! Bless your sweet pointed head!

Sigh. What a harsh reentry back into the real world!

Sandy said...

Well, you gave lots of us a good laugh & the "other" plum bag owner just missed out! Glad you had a good visit here in R. Town (my daughter told me how delightful it was to meet you in person!) I know K. sure enjoyed having you at her house.

O Mom said...

No way!

care-in said...

So sorry...but I do appreciate your humor in it!

Carpool Queen said...

THIS SLAYED ME.

DEAD.

Amy said...

I'm torn between expressing sympathy and asking for more info on the plum bag. I want one!!!