Monday, February 15, 2010

Daniel SAFARI: Week 5

I'm choosing to discuss the following question on Daniel's study this week:  "Have you ever experienced 'spiritual amnesia'? Discuss."

WOW...that's a fine howdoyado, isn't it?  Not a very easy peasy lemon squeazy question, but a refreshingly authentically relevant one--relevant in Belshazzar's day and in Gretchen's day.  

So I guess I'll answer. (drumroll)

Yes.

Oh..."discuss".  I guess I missed that. 

Sadly, I suffer spiritual amnesia on nearly a daily basis.  How do I know this is true?  Because the fruit (or...lack thereof) of my attitudes is shown in my behavior.

In a nutshell, I forget the following, and it has a domino effect on my freedom to be and do all that God has planned for me to be and do (most notably, as woman, wife, mother, and friend)..
  • I have difficulty forgiving my kids for offenses which they commit, especially when they do them OVER and OVER and OVER again.  Hello?  Can you please learn from your mistakes????  Umm...yeah.  I wonder if God ever looks at me, committing my 100th sin, same as the first (Channeling the Henry the 8th song, here.), and says to Himself, "do you ever learn???  Meanwhile, that sin is forgiven.(Matthew 18:21-23; Matthew 26:28)  When i repent, His arms fly open, and into them I fall.  Again.  And.  Again.
  • I have spiritual amnesia when it comes to remembering that through faith, I am pleasing, blameless, and holy in His sight. (Col. 1:21-22)Though I am gettting better with my response to this truth, I've often forgotten it, causing me too much angst where others were concerned.  People pleasing, worrying about my appearance, or wondering what folks thought of me in any given situation really cramps my style, and takes my eyes off of Him. 
  • I have spiritual amnesia when I think of others when I judge them w/o knowing all the circumstances behind their actions.  Ever been cut off in traffic?  Does it ever vex you?  It vexes me, and I'm not as gracious as I should be at all times.  But what if I took a second, backed up...looked at the situation through a God-type of lens, and prayed for that person.  Maybe s/he is having a rough day.  Maybe she's in labor. Maybe, s/he simply didn't see me.  Maybe s/he just made a bonehead move.  Don't all of these situations call for grace? And hasn't His grace been sufficiently poured out for me that I could share?  After all, my graciousness (or lack thereof) might be the only glimpse that person has of a Christian during their day.  Do I look different? I pray that the overwhelming majority of the time, the answer is "yes".  But it's so important for me to remain in Him (John 15:4), so that He'll remain in me for others to see. 
Many of the ideas I've shared here dovetail with my experience with this bible study, by Robert McGee.

Lord, please forgive me for my spiritual amnesia and little thinking.  Thank you SO much for the opportunity to study Your word in a group of iron-sharpening believers.  Thank You for your truths.  For Your grace.  For the opportunities each day which i have to love and worship you by forgiving and loving on others.  Please bind me from the enemy, so that my eyes are always on You.  My Savior.  My Redeemer.  Remain in me, O God. How love you.  In Jesus' name. Amen.

 Photobucket

10 comments:

Denise said...

I really appreciate your honesty sis, love you.

His Girl said...

laughed out loud at the yes answer, and nodded through your amnesia moments.

so glad to have your exhortations through example of how to remember the important stuff and let go of the stuff we shouldn't hang onto.

*sigh* feeling especially blessed to have you on this study.

xo

Bev said...

Well Amen to all of it - after my brother died and I was literally driving around in a fog, I was struck with how much more grace I needed to extend to those driving around me, or standing in the grocery line - having no idea what they might be going through on any given day. We forget so easily dont we. Thanks for the reminder here.

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Spiritual amnesia. Girl, you are NOT alone in that.

Tiffani said...

oh yes, yes, yes!!

I am amazed at times how I can get UP from time with the Lord and have an amnesia moment right then and there!!

I love sharing this journey with you!!

Mich said...

Can I say "been there and done that?!!!"

Love the fact that you share your Bible study learnings with us each week...love your heart in all of it!

Cathy said...

I could have written ALL your "spiritual amnesias" word.for.word.

I think you get me, maybe without even knowing it.

We need another "meet". Soon. Rather than later.

care-in said...

Yep...#3...guilty here!

Jen said...

Oh, girlfriend. How I love this post! Love that someone other than me suffers from spiritual amnesia, but just keeps pressing toward the prize, ever knowing that "He who began a good work in you will complete it..."
Love, love, LOVE being on this journey with you!!

Gretchen said...

Thank you for your graciousness, friends. It's so nice to know I'm not alone, but also that you're all sharpening me. xxxooo