Okay. Just thought I'd ask.
Because this vanity (pride) vs. humility sort of makes me squirm in my seat. Why? Because though I try to be humble and put God first in my mind and heart, dying to self, I often DON'T.
Did anyone else's mind go to Charlotte's Web, and Wilbur's plight? You all know the story, right? Wilbur the runty pig goes to live on Zuckerman's farm after his little, cute babyhood wears off. Luckily for him, his previous owner, Fern continues to love him, and he meets several friends who start a campaign to save his bacon--most indispensably, a beautiful spider, named Charlotte. A couple of things strike me as significant in Wilbur's story. First, Wilbur knows there is nothing in his own strength which will save him. This is quite different from most of us me, for I often go to my own strength, my own ability, my own resources, while ignoring the only REAL resource. The Great I Am. Ouch. Second, it strikes me as interesting that one of the words used to describe Wilbur is HUMBLE. Humble? Who cares if a pig is humble? I mean, really. They want to eat him, not philosphize with him. Even if he was to be taken as a pet, I'd say humility is a given among our pets. Perhaps our dominion is more to the point rather than their humility, but still. An odd characteristic as a life-saving title, don't you think? Yet, there's something very gentle and pleasing about HUMBLE old Wilbur (despite his whiny voice in the movie). And you know the end of the story--he lives to a ripe old age, and helps raise Charlotte's children.
Unlike Wilbur, it took a little longer for Nebuchadnezzar to realize his helplessness. Eye of the needle, and all (Matthew 19:24). But God was faithful, and after Old Nebby lost his pride because he didn't listen to God's interpretation of his dream thru Daniel, he went around feeling rather ox-ish. BUT, when God was finished disciplining him, he saw God for the Creator and I AM that He is/was, repented, and became humble and obedient. And not only did God restore him to his former success, but increased his power because his eyes were on the right prize.
I'll be honest...as I considered the options to talk about (talking about when I've been humbled, etc.), not very many big moments came to mind. Just a bunch of little daily ones. Yes, I know that God is in control and reigns supreme, not just in my life, but that He is the reason for all life. Yet, in my US citizen comfort, with my higher education, with all of the blessings he has so richly poured out over my head, I struggle, probably on a daily basis, with an attitude of thanksgiving, praise, and humility. My hope lies in my faith in Jesus' work on the cross. The fact that He is in the business of forgiveness and of miracles, and that He wants me to succeed at this. I can tell, thank You, God, that I am starting to get it. I'm making baby steps towards the goal of dying to self and living for Him. So yeah, who cares about a little stinky here, and a little torn clothes there...This trip's worth every bruise, scratch, and God hug along the way.
Be blessed this week, my friends.

11 comments:
This post was totally awesome my friend, love you.
Humility is such a tough thing to strive for/grasp. So complex.
I WILL NEVER LOOK AT CHARLOTTE'S WEB THE SAME!!!!
Gretchen, this is BRILLIANT! What a great illustration and what a blessing it is to look at daily humility that way.
Glad you didn't really ask for a pass, girlfriend. I needed to read this today.
xoxo
"I struggle, probably on a daily basis, with an attitude of thanksgiving, praise, and humility."
I sometimes get caught up that I don't have a big significant moment to mention but what you said above is so true.
I liked this...
oh, how often do I get caught up in my own little world and all that entails...
Oh so good, my sweet friend.
When I saw what we were to write on this week I almost dropped out.
So glad to be on this journey with you.
This week was a tough one! I love your analogy with Wilbur. I hadn't thought of him, but it all makes so.much.sense!!!
Glad you didn't take a hall pass this week. This was a great post!
this week was a tough one, i agree!! Charlotte's Web...You are a literary genius!!
humble as a lifesaving trait...hmmmm...i need me some of that!
oh.girl.
I so needed these. My words this week were weak! With all of us sickly, I wanted to say so much more but glad I didn't because I would've been filling up a white box and hitting publish...
Glad you had the words over here I couldn't say..
I love you!
Loved the pig analogy - so completely dead on.
The irony is that humility is one of those things that when you "get it" you've usually lost it a bit!
I agree with HisGirl. I will never look at Charlotte's Web the same again!
I just heart you, G.
Post a Comment