This post is an answer to Cheryl's Random Tuesday post regarding...waaaaaaiiit for it: Thanksgiving. If you don't currently read Cheryl, you're missing a treat. She's a rabid Tide fan (and I'm not talkin' detergent), and has a beautiful family who often grace the posts she writes. She also has just opened an Itsy scrapbooking store, so if you're of a mind to scrapbook, and need help getting started, she's your woman. Without further ado:
A Thanksgiving Tradition: Our Thanksgivings are relatively boring and sloth-like, and we like them that way. Well, I suppose the years I don't cook are sloth-like. Every other year is pretty busy. But again--I wouldn't change a thing. It's all about the Macy's Day parade, stressing over whether the bird is cooked, and hangin' out snacking until the big meal.
A Thanksgiving Memory: My mother, God rest her, went to Hawaii for one Thanksgiving, and the following year for our Thanksgiving dinner, she made this killer pumpkin soup that she'd had at a fancy shmancy restaurant while in HI. Ummm...the only problem was that she unwittingly substituted confectioner's sugar for flour in the soup when she made it. She was horrified, poor thing. And we did what any loving family does: we laughed at her. OH, I'm NOT proud.
My Favorite Thanksgiving Food: Garlic-cheddar mashed potatoes and gravy. 2nd runner up is my very own plate of 20 or 25 devilled eggs. 3rd place: green bean casserole. Couldn't really care less about the turkey. It's all about the fixin's.
My Plans for Thanksgiving this Year: We will be celebrating with my husband's folks, his sister, our BIL, and our nephew, Justin (4). We are in CO (Ft. Collins) so short a time this year that we are visiting few friends, but I'm very excited to MIRL a terrific woman who lives at about 7000 Feet, so I'm definitely making time for that. I cannot wait. My aunt and uncle are returning from a long term mission trip in Germany on the 25th , so we'll try to sneak over there, too. They, too live in Ft. Collins.
5 Things I'm Thankful for Today (not including the "generic" family and friends):
- Thankful for my health, and that of my family. Nearing that 4-0 mark really puts into perspective how finite life is, and how much I take my health for granted. Oh, I complain and whine about not liking to work out, and not liking to eat right, but I'm a ninny. I have clean air and water, and plentiful, bountiful food. I also have health care services at the ready and insurance to cover the expenses.
- Thankful for my DVR for those times when I can't jam enough TV into one day. :) I mean, if I'm not DVR-ing House, something's wrong.
- Thankful for Soe, my sewing machine. She whirs right along, as we quilt together. No back-chat, always ready to go...She occasionally fusses by tangling a bobbin, but I try to be patient with that.
- Thankful for my church "family". Not only have they taught me that they've got my back, having said "family" has really shown me that we are all EGRs (extra-grace-requireds). Seriously. I'm learning patience. I'm at level 1.
- I'm truly thankful for a hairapy appointment this Friday at 2 p.m. PST.
10 comments:
I enjoyed this dear, love you.
You get to meet Mer??? Oh, how fun!
I like the turkey, but I LOVE the side dishes...with potatoes and stuffing being at the top of that list. And green bean casserole. My favorite meal of the year.
I've been reading in your archives and just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy your blog! I've commented before and lurked a bit but now I'm a regular.
It was interesting reading your post about your son when he turned 12. He sounds SO MUCH like my 14 year old - who almost could pass for his brother, or at least a cousin. I think if they met, they'd be great friends.
We will be celebrating T-giving with our summer time temperatures. I really miss the fall weather, and the Macy's parade. *sigh* But we can buy turkeys here!
Great thanksgiving post! I might copy you later this week or next.
I agree the sides are the main attraction with the turkey being a condiment. I usually skip the desserts and have seconds. Then I could eat the leftovers the next day. Yum.
I am glad to hear that you are meeting Meredith! I so enjoyed meeting her - it was a lot of fun. Actually she was my first and so far only blog friend I have met IRL. Maybe I will get to meet you someday - up for a cup of coffee?
PS- I will be looking for my fan club t-shirt in the mail. ;o)
Well, y'know using "Howdy" makes me feel right at home!! Although we don't use it as much here in Georgia it's more like "hey y'all" (all long and drawn out like)....
This is a great post and I will probably use it myself....
ps...I'm very thankful for you!
Mmmmm...those potatoes sound yum. Care to share the recipe?
I keep meaning to ask, were you affected by the floods recently? I saw pictures from Snoqualmie area that looked bad.
Denise...lurve you too.
Jackie, no lie. The side dishes are most excellent. I love stuffing now--when I was a kid, though, it used to gag me. My favorite kind (ducks in shame) is Stove Top!
Angie, Welcome! I'm thrilled to have you, and will get caught up with you very soon. :)
Becky, we live on a hill, away from the rivers, thank goodness. However, we are also in the "convergence zone", so we receive our (un)fair share of storms. Thanks for asking. As I've mentioned to Melody before, I'm basically a dump and mix type of cook, always surprised and excited by my meals which come out. I'll post how I do those mashers soon. But it's all approximate and all... :)
Jenn, I'll meet you any time for a coffee. Come hither!
Tiffani, thankful for you, too, and that your hubby is coming home in LESS THAN 2 WEEKS! Howdyhoo!
Your mom putting powdered sugar in that pumpkin soup made me smile. I've soooo done things like that. I actually forgot to put the peanut butter in peanut butter cookies once - the sad thing is, it took me a while to figure out what was wrong with them. LOL
I hear you - it's all about the side dishes. And thank you for reminding me about the deviled eggs. I can't believe I left those off my list. Mandy would never forgive me. :-)
Those garlic mashed potatoes sound divine. I'll have to think of my gratefulnesses - is this a word? In the blog world, I am so grateful for you. you know that.
Mmmmmm...deviled eggs? I hope we have those!
Gretchen...I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Tuesday. Right now I'm hopeful b/c it looks like we may leave Wednesday, but honestly, I've got to hear what the docs tell my dad tomorrow. Thanks for being patient.
Post a Comment