Howdy, Howdy, Howdy! How was your week? I know for some, life seemed sweet; not so much for others. We had a good week. Praise God. I tiring, busy week. But good.
10. Glad that the "Forward Into Light" 5th grade women's suffrage play was a complete success. The drama teacher, though not a nurturer, according to my "source", churned out a play with 34 kids. Each had a fictional character role, a historical figure speech, and an opportunity to work the set. Brava and a tip of the hat to her. And if you're wondering? Drama Girl was the best one. She was. Sorry other parents...your pride is in vain. Oh, I kid. They were all amazing. Really tip my hat to the International Students. Seeing those Korean kids up on stage, wrapping their mouths around speeches and lines really amazed me.
9. So, so, so glad that Big got home last Tue p.m. Even the drive home in rush hour traffic was pleasant because we got to hear tales of interesting food, Big's being thrown out of yet another cab--yes! Apparently, the cabbies cannot refuse a fare at a hotel; they must get the passenger and go. However, if they don't want to take the fare, they go about a block or so away and shove the person out of the cab. I.am.not.kidding! Big said the clue for him was that the cabbie didn't push the meter down upon his entrance to the cab. The cab driver shooed Doug out of the cab, but was kind enough to hail him another...You see they want to take people to the airport--none of this nickel and diming around town stuff...Nice to know that greed is alive and well across the globe. Though I don't pretend to think that these guys are wealthy. I guess it's more aptly put that n.e.e.d. is alive and well...BUT it made for an entertaining story for us.
8. Glad I get to make a baby girl quilt for a friend who is becoming a grandma early next year. There is simply nothing funner to sew for me than a baby quilt. My friends, I have NO BUSINESS taking on a baby quilt at this time of year. But I don't care. It'll get done.
7. Selfish glad: For once, I'm glad I was gone when the toilet overflowed. Sorry Big, but it was your turn. 99% of the poop, vomit, pee, and "other" clean up appears to have fit into my job description, so I was relieved for the break. No pun intended.
6. Glad in all this pre-play (A Christmas Carol) madness, Big and I snuck away for a lunch date to our favorite little haunt.
5. Glad, so, so very glad that David's progress report showed straight A's. I don't care as much about the grades as I do about the confidence. All the teacher comments were positive and they each seemed genuinely happy to be working with him. Can I get a hallelujah? An amen? Really. My son is 12 and he smiles when he leaves his school. How very cool is that?
4. Glad that, despite the mysterious return of my asthma, I was able to sing on the worship team yesterday. It was exhausting in the very best kind of way. Also glad that I am so comfortable with my team and the band that I had no problem asking them to pray over my health. That's family.
3. Glad that I invested in a little book called Preparing My Heart for Advent, by Ann Marie Stewart. What a gem this book is! I'm a bit behind the 8 ball because the study starts in Nov. But I'm going to do 2 a day until I'm caught up. I saw it at my church's resource sale yesterday. I HAD to buy it because it helps to fund the resource center, right? Had to... I'm actually writing all my answers in a notebook because I think I want to do this every year.
2. Glad for some hangin' time with Drama Girl last night. She showed me all her "designs". She's quite the fashion diva. Fun to just hear her personality come out as she described each one.
1. I know this is sort of a Drama Girl post, but I have to share such a proud parenting moment. Disclaimer: I gave full permission for her to buy said book. We've read many a "banned" book in our house and will continue to do so, but I thought this was neat... DG wanted to buy Twilight because of all the hype around her school, and because the movie is coming out. Her dad took her to B & N, allowance in purse, ready to purchase. Big called me from the store to make sure I was okay with the content for her age. I said I had to trust her, and that based on what I knew, I thought DG could handle it. Well...30 minutes later, DG and Dad come home. No Twilight in hand. Why? "I think I'd rather read ________, Mom. I don't think I'm ready for Twilight yet. Maybe when I'm 12."
Yay!!! She has received discernment! Oh, honey, I KNOW it's despite my efforts, but I don't care! He is in her. Woo Hoo!
Thanks for reading so long! A marathon, to be sure! SDG!!!!
8 comments:
Awww, don't you just LOVE having your kids come out of school smiling...and seeing evidence of the fruits of the Spirit in your kiddos? AWESOME!
Loved your list, as always.
As always, I loved your list. Mostly loved that last one and the wisdom of your daughter. (Having read Twilight, I think she made a wise choice. It's a very clean book, but the whole romance thing is a bit mature for my kids).
I'm glad you had a good week! I'm happy with and for you!
Such sweet blessings, love you.
I am thoroughly impressed with your girl...wow.I don't think I had nearly the discernment that she showed when I was her age.
I can't believe the story about the cab...craziness!
lots of good thoughts here, Gretchen!
So proud of BOTH of your kiddos...
I agree with Mer. I just finished the third book in the Twilight series and I wouldn't let less than a 16 year old read them...(I, however, being of mature mind and body, cannot put them down) :) Kudos to DG!
Love that special time with your man...only 1 week and 6 days..can you believe it???
I am caught up on your life and I enjoyed reading every bit. I started and ended with "Gladitude Monday" posts - love them.
So happy to hear more awesome news about David and school!
What a wild story about the taxi driver your husband. I bet that was a site. Poor guy.
Loved the line "She has received discernment!" Sounds like you have a very wise tween at your house. Maybe I should read the Twilight series.
Have a wonderful evening with your family!
Sorry I've been out of the loop -- I'm playing catch-up! Sooooo glad to hear David's doing well in school!
Give our best to your fam, and send somma them mashamatatoes! MMMM!!!
I'm so far behind, but this post made me so very, very happy. All of it. Seriously. Every single part.
Oh, Gretchen. You do make me smile.
Post a Comment