1Cor2:9-10
However, as it is written: "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him" but God has revealed to us by his Spirit."
Hmm...
Does anyone but me have a difficult time "picturing" the Holy Spirit? That is, picturing It/Him as clearly as you picture God or Jesus? Is it just me that leaves the Holy Spirit as a less-than-holy-forgotten-step-child? I don't know why this is. He (I'll call it "He") is God's counselor to us, and yet, maybe this is because of my nondenominational church--which is a great Bible based church--or the fact that I didn't really darken the doorway of a church until 7 years ago, but the Holy Spirit doesn't seem so big...so real. And yet, He is all we're left with on earth. Isn't He?
I pray for the Holy Spirit to fill me. I do. I pray for wisdom and discernment. Usually, however, I pray to God or Jesus. I say "Lord", and that fits them both, I suppose. Maybe it fits all three. I mean no disrespect in this post. I'm merely musing about the fact that my triune God seems...well...diune at times. I know in my head that this isn't true. But it bugs me. Jesus gets all the press for coming to earth as a man and leaving his Godness behind--except for being perfect and all. God is the Creator of the universe. Both of them have been around since the before the beginning of time. It makes sense then, that the Holy Spirit has also been around since then. I guess I'm just not feeling it. Does it matter if I feel it? Does it matter if I attribute my wisdom or discernment (yes, I have some of each, but usually not at the same time!) to Jesus or God or to the Holy Spirit? Because they are one, does it matter? I think it must matter to some degree because the Spirit is indwelling me. How is that related to God or Jesus? Is it a representation of both?
I'm not expecting big answers, but in reading some of the Bible--and the above verse in particular--it started me thinking. I know...a mind is a terrible thing. ;)
So...what say ye?
Soli Deo Gloria! xxxooogretchen
9 comments:
Those are some deep thoughts this morning, friend.
Several years ago, I came across "the daily prayer" that was penned by john eldredge. In the prayer (which I try to pray daily), he specifically addresses all the members of the Trinity--the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit. The prayer is in the back of Waking the Dead, and I'd guess it's on the Ransomed Heart website too. Anyway, that has been one tool that has helped me better grasp the concept of the Trinity.
I'll see if I have an extra copy of the prayer on cd. If I do, I'll mail it to you!
Interesting questions. I don't have any answers, but I have wondered some of the same things. I love it that God doesn't mind when we ask the questions!
I think all three Names can be used interchangeably. Did my husband pay that bill for the kid's new school clothes? or did the kids' father? or did Jason? The answer is yes... it's the same guy. As long as I don't take credit, and don't forget to be thankful, I think it doesn't matter.
but that's just an opinion of a sinner- i can't wait til the day when 'nothing will be made unknown to us'!
no ... can't say as i do have a difficult time. my shadow passed over the threshold of a church for the first time 10 years ago. the Holy Spirit and Jesus found their way into my picturing with little or no difficulty. Abba on the other hand ... well i'm still working on bringing Him into better focus.
I think these are fair questions. Trying to understand the Holy Spirit has been a struggle for me, too. But I think with time God the Father is working in my by His Spirit to help me understand. Maybe because He is One, it is hard to comprehend His "parts."
This I know for sure: He loves me, and I can trust Him. I'm not going to fret about the rest!
Gretchen, my dear...you are DEEP!!! LOL
Thanks for giving me, yet something else, to think about ;-).
Yea, I think sometimes it's a struggle to get our minds around the Trinity. After all we really don't "SEE" any of them.
It all comes back to faith, not feeling...what we KNOW to be true, regardless of what our minds can conceive. There is a mystery to it all. That's the beauty of it. He leaves a little mystery in this walk with Him.
I too have prayed the "Daily Prayer" that Mer mentions for a season in my life. This is the 2nd time I've heard someone speak of it in 3 days. Maybe the Holy Spirit is trying to stir my heart to go back and start praying it again.
The mysteries of God, who can truly fathom?
It is by faith that we walk forward with Him. Remember He says in Hebrews, "blessed are those who have not seen yet believe."
You are blessed, after all you believe what you cannot see.
Hugs,
Julie
I guess I'm at the other end of the spectrum. From the events that have transpired in my life, I feel as though I've got a grasp on the reality of the presence of the Holy Spirit, as much as any feeble human mind can have. In fact, this part of the trinity is probably the most vivid to me. It really irritates me that almost all Christian denominations give no press to this neglected member of the Trinity. Non-denoms do a lot of preaching about Jesus. Many people stay "safe" and just generalized about "God" w/o treading into triune waters. And if you look at the words of the Apostle's Creed, the Holy Spirit gets only a few words, while the Father and the Son (especially the Son) get the majority of the creed.
Interesting blog!!
Bless you sweetie, keep your beautiful faith. God will answer all of our questions by and by.
Post a Comment