Saturday, July 26, 2008

It's a New Book Review...Fun For All of You...

Sorry...I was channeling a theme song to one of my childhood's lame TV shows, The New Zoo Review. Because the New Zoo Review was...fun for all of you...Get it?


Anyhooo...I don't profess to being a great book reviewer, but I lurrve to read, and I was so tickled when I found a new author who really sparked my interest.


I read the novel sister mine, by Tawni O'Dell. Yes, I know you're supposed to capitalize titles. But Ms. O'Dell chose not to in her book. Who am I to judge?

Again, anyhoo...Don't you just love it when titles have many layers and/or multiple meanings to them ? You'll find that with this book.


Sister Mine is a chapter in the story (I think a sequel, actually) of Shae-Lynn Penrose, a tough-as-nails, yet tender and bruised soul. O'dell uses Shae-Lynn's voice to describe the life and, sometimes, death in a Pennsylvania coal mining town. The characters are all deliciously flawed and real, and very vivid. The main storyline has to do with Shae-Lynn's life and coping skills after the sudden disappearance of her little sister, Shannon. The story revolves around how the abusive beginning of her life yields her constant neediness. Whether needing to serve. Needing to forget. Needing to be safe. Needing to move forward.


This is a quickly paced novel, and is full of the things I like: excellent writing, and redemption. I like that O'dell finds redemption in her characters w/o tying up all the ends in a neat little bow. I will definitely read the first of this series--in fact it's on hold at my library--Mer, you're so not the only one! I luuuurve my library! And the ones on Whidbey Island are in the same region as the one near my house on the mainland, so I can return my books in any old book return. Woot woot! Okay...I really went down a rabbit trail. Good thing I love rabbits...


I just saw on Amazon that if you like Jodi Picoult, you would enjoy Tawni O'dell. I tend to agree. I also saw that she was chosen for Oprah's book club for her previous novels. Now, you may think Oprah is whack--and I don't disagree--but she's a very well read woman. Okay...enough tidbits.


Soli deo Gloria!

8 comments:

Denise said...

Sounds like an awesome book sweetie.

Jackie said...

I need to get to my library...it's been too long. I'm adding this one to my list! And I'd say you are a pretty darn good reviewer.

His Girl said...

great. now I have that song in my heart.

and I don't know the words, so that is really bad...

It's the new zoo review, coming right to you....

that's all i know- so, THANKS.

care-in said...

Thanks for the review, I'm adding it to my list. Did you say it was a series?

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

Just have to say....I so loved New Zoo review and wanted my mom to name my baby sister Henrietta after my favorite hippo. Thanks for the review

Adventures of Laura said...

I always love to hear about a good book - thanks for sharing! I love our library too and use it all the time.

Anonymous said...

I haven't thought about the New Zoo Review in YEARS! BUT...my sister and I watched it. We had the little plastic figures so we could play NZR and reinact their shows. AND we saw them in a mall once. Good grief. Even as a preschooler it looks like I was an obsessive groupie.

And I didn't even get to the rest of your post due to the song stuck in my head....

Gretchen said...

I'm so thrilled that so many of you can relate to my New Zoo Review tangent! ;)

I also remember the lady with the kindergarten class on a show that had "Magic Mirror". Anyone else remember that? I forget the name of the show.

Blessings!