Friday, July 25, 2008

It Must Be Time for a Meme...

I saw this little ditty at Boomama's, and I felt like boring you with all my trivia playing along, so voila! Feel free to play along. I won't tag anyone though.

What were you doing 10 years ago?

I had a 1 month old and a 2 year old. Enough said? ;) We were living in Castle Rock, CO and were enjoying the 90+ degree heat w/o air conditioning. But it's a dry heat. Really. We also had 2 rabbits and one crazy lab/span/ret. mix dog named Sara.
Favorite Snacks
rice crackers and hummus with lots of garlic
  • diet Coke over ice
  • a scoop of peanut butter with either choc. chips or raisins in it
  • pretty much any form of cheese--especially from the farmer's market
  • milk chocolate--okay, Reeses Fast Break. I can't call it a favorite snack because I have a t.i.n.y modicum of control (thank you Jesus!), but if I could eat them all day, I would.
  • To Do List
    My to-do list is the biggest farce! I have a word doc of my day in 15 minute increments, which I sometimes fill out completely. I like a sense of accomplishment. However, 2 things work against the scratching out of items on said list:

    • I lose time/misjudge how long something will take to complete.
    • I'm sorta d.i.s.t.r.a.c.t.i.b.l.e.

    Sometimes, when I'm really desperate, I write down an item I've completed just so I can have something to cross off. I know. Pathetic.


    Jobs I Have Had

    • babysitter (oh, kill me now), receptionist, baker at Cindy's Cinnamon Rolls, cashier and peon at Daylight Donuts, English comp. tutor, speech-language therapist specializing in the neuro population of patients (e.g. folks who have had brain injuries or strokes), full time mom and volunteer (e.g. school, Girl Scout leader, choir/worship team)

    Places I Have Lived

    • Born: Iowa City, IA
    • Lived: Iowa City; Camarillo, CA; Tucson, AZ; Porterville, CA; Boone, IA; Ft. Collins, CO; Boulder, CO; Castle Rock, CO; Mill Creek, WA

    Bad Habits

    • procrastination, worry, caffeine, eating too much--especially spicy food which gives me reflux, but I don't care and eat it anyway..., impatience, too quick to speak

    Random Things People May Not Know

    • My parents divorced when I was five. I went years w/o seeing my dad.
    • My mom died 2 weeks before I turned 30, and it was a blessing to both of us. She was a tortured soul, whom I loved so very much. But I would've loved to hate her, too. I'm so glad she's in heaven where God can take care of her. My biggest relief was her salvation.
    • I moved around a ton until 4th grade. Then we stayed in the same school district (despite little moves here and there) until I graduated high school.
    • I was not a church-goer at all until 7 years ago. God waited so patiently and faithfully for me, and I have n.e.v.e.r. looked back.
    • I was resentful for a time re: taking my kids to church by myself. But I got over it. It was hard though.
    • I bit my nails until I was 19, and now they're thin--the only thing on me that is!--and sharp, and I have to keep them short. I don't bite tho. Unless, you know, I have to, given a snag or something.
    • My ears are hypersensitive to sound, but I love to sing in my choir and on the worship team at my church
    • It wears me out though. I usually need a nap after all that praisin'.
    • I only wanted one child. But I was so enamored with David that even whilst sitting on my donut for (ahem) my tender hindquarters, I told Big, "We have to do this again! He's a miracle!" And he is. And so is she.
    • I'm left handed.
    • I love movies. Especially ones like "Love Actually"

    CDs I would want if stranded on an island

    • Billy Joel "Stranger" or "Piano Man", or "Turnstiles". Mercy Me, John Mayer, Michael Buble, some random 70's K-Tel mix.


    What I’d Do if I Were a Billionaire
    1) Pay off anything that needed to be paid off.
    2) Buy a place on Maui and a beach front place on Whidbey or Camano or in B.C. somewhere--small compounds actually, so our guests could stay forevah...

    3) Put aside a chunk-o-money for the kids' college / mission trips / grad school / whathaveyou. 4) Refuse to live extravagantly. Well, beyond having some sweet massages and pedis, mind you.
    5) Donate generously to my church and other organizations my husband and I support, like World Vision.
    6) Take lessons on guitar, piano, and own one of each. Maybe 2 guitars.

    There you have it.

    6 comments:

    Julie said...

    Loved this Gretchen.

    Thanks for popping over to my girl's blog and loving on her. That means alot to me.

    Hugs,
    Julie

    mer@lifeat7000feet said...

    LOVED your list, Gretchen!

    I wish you still lived in Castle Rock. We could be having ourselves some fun in this 90degree heat right now.

    My parents divorced when I was 26 and I went years without seeing my dad too. Forgiveness has been a gift to both of us.

    Jackie said...

    Well, this was fun to read! I like learning more about my bloggy friends. :)

    I love me some Michael Buble, too. So soothing.

    Denise said...

    Great answers sweetie.

    Becky said...

    Awww, what a fun meme!

    You were a braaaave woman to want another baby while still, you know, recovering, lol. It took me years to work up the nerve to go through that a second time, lol.

    His Girl said...

    hey! camarillo? i travel there once a year to speak at a conference! and my friend wendy is from there!

    small world.

    so glad to finally be back reading your blog... YOU ARE SO FUN TO READ!