So this Lenten season has me thinking. To be honest, I havent' decided upon anything to "give up" for Lent. I've thought about it, but then one thing or another will get in my mind by way of distraction. And while I'm not sure if I'll make a specific sacrifice this season or not, I am sure that I want to be thoughtful and intentional about these weeks leading up to Easter. I've thought a lot about fasting. Typically, I run as fast as fast can be from the discipline of fasting. Why? Well, first and most obvious...because the more I think about fasting, the more I feel hungry. Curious, don't you think? What I think is that i have a few food issues here and there which may be a result of growing up poor, and which may also be just as result of getting mighty used to having plentiful food--not only in amount, but in selection--as I've been an adult. Ideally, Satan will use this as a foothold, and by the blood and sacrifice of Jesus, I'm not going to allow it. However, that leaves fasting as still one of those things I don't do well--not only in the eating sense, but in the doing/having sense, either. One can fast from screens, discretionary purchases,self-centered behaviour, and over-consumerism of any kind. So I'm mulling this, too. And I'm giving my fears of what might happen if I choose to fast (in any form of the word) to God.
It occurs to me that fasting promotes a dependence and surrender to God in a way quite unlike any other type of sacrifice. When we fast, we open that God-sized hole in our hearts, and ask Him to fill it, and to prepare us for His purposes. That's pretty big. And scary. Eyes forward. Deep breaths. Baby steps.
As I've said before, I get by with a little help from my friends, so I want to share two ideas which really got me thinking this year. Also, my friend, Marla is discussing fasting over at her place. Take a peek
here.
My friend Cheryl spoke last year not about what she's giving up for Lent, but what she took up. Go
here to see. Lurve.
My friend Bev was inspired by a television program which described a couple living on 1/2 of what they made and giving the other 1/2 to charity. Go
HERE to see how she and her hubby "fast" in this situation. I'll be right here. What did you think? Were you inspired?
So...I write this to myself as much as to anyone else, but if it gets your noggin whirring, so much the better. Do share your thoughtses, my Preciouses.
12 comments:
I can so, so, so relate to your whole first paragraph, friend. And thanks for those links. You're the greatest.
Fasting scares the bajeebies out of me. Because it requires me to give up stuff that makes me feel comfy. And I don't like to be uncomfortable.
My daddy does periodic 40 day fasts, and I SO admire his discipline and his heart for doing it.
But it seriously terrifies me. All the more reason to do it, I suppose.
Love you much, friendy.
No fair! My sister stole my comment!!!!
As Amb already said, I was raised by a man who took the art and sacrificing of fasting very seriously. I don't know if I would ever have the discipline of doing a food related fast, but I have thought of giving up something else for a time.
This interests me greatly. thanks for bringing the subject up!
Awesome subject sweetie.
well, I think fasting is certainly something we are called to do in scripture.
BUT, I have sat under godly people who may fast a certain meal for a certain amount of time...fast for just a day while you're praying, or the full-out fasting. Also, the Daniel fast is also something that has interested me (just fruits and veggies). To me, it makes me feel like something I may feel led to do before I'd take on a WEEK of fasting or something...
So, I think it has to be something and an amount of time that you alone, feel led/convicted to do.
Great thoughts today!
I LOVE this post so so much! And I feel the same way about fasting. Why is that I cant stop thinking about Samoas whenever I think about fasting . . .
My dad fasted one day every week when I was growing up. He never talked about it with us, but he just wasn't at meal time those days.
And WOW to Amber and Mich's dad.
I tend to think that if you really pray about it God will give you something you can fast from. It may not always be from complete food, maybe it's just one item or thing that you can give to Him for a time. Baby steps indeed!
Loved your post...and a topic I am thinking about...Love your blog.. Hope you will stop by...I just added some extra giveaways...
So glad to have a few hours to blog hop.
Teresa
http://teresa-grammygirlfriend.blogspot.com/
Interesting, Gretchen. Especially what you were saying about food issues. I have the same struggle with them. I think this may be something I need to address....hmmm...
Thank you for getting my brain thinking about this. :)
i love you, gretch!!! and wish you a happy birthday!!!
i'm gonna read these links a little later and prayerfully consider my own fasting issues especially in these weeks leading up to Easter.
xoxo
Gretchen, you always make me think about the tough stuff but you lead me there so gently that it doesn't seem as scary. Thanks for the links. And thanks for making me focus on an area that isn't a very comfortable one...but a necessary and commanded one.
Post a Comment