Monday, March 29, 2010

Daniel SAFARI: Week 10 Strength vs. Weakness


Welcome to week 10.  This week, our safari is busy studying Daniel 10; exploring strength and conquering weakness by God's hand and help.  I cannot overstate how much I appreciate HisGirl's insight and organization in bringing us a framework for our study.  The study points and questions are as creative as they are thought provoking.  Amber, your word pictures are amazing.

I'm choosing the following discussion point:  Have you ever found yourself the recipient of encouragement when feeling spiritually weak? Share the story.

Thank the Good Lord, I am the recipient of such encouragement almost every day.  I may not be as dramatically encouraged (by visions and angels, brought on by three weeks of fasting), but God places so many encouragers in my midst. He does so, I think, because He knows I could not function without them.  He also knows words are important to me, so He typically encourages me by using the words others, in addition to His Word. Here are a few instances by which I know I am loved and strengthened by the Holy One:

  •  About a year ago, a precious girlfriend of mine wrote an incredibly encouraging letter to me when I was discouraged by the affects my son's differences were having on his education and his life.  And my life.  You see, if you cut him, seems I bleed, as well.   I know...sounds enmeshed.  I've felt guilty for being such a hover-mom for so long, but if that's what's needed, wouldn't I be neglectful if I didn't hover? At any rate...her letter ministered to my soul by reminding me that all the cruddy days will be redeemed, and that I can boldly, courageously stand on the foundation of His truths and His love for me.

  • If you've read JIMCS for any length of time, you know I've often worried about the state of my husband's heart and his relationship with God.  A friend of mine, who is also a pastor, listened to my worries, prayed with me, showed me scriptures where unequal yokedom is discussed (wow, that happened even WAY back when), and told me such a nugget of truth which has stayed with me:  He told me that by honoring my husband, I was honoring God.  This is being put to the test this week, especially.  I typically sing and participate in our Good Friday and Easter services.  My husband has asked me not to commit to doing Good Friday service because he'd like us to be together for a long weekend w/o distractions.  While he didn't say he'd prefer I'd stay home for Easter, I know it's what he would like.  So, I'm offering it up as a loving sacrifice.  Folks, I'd rather be at church, grieving and celebrating.  But, in a way, I feel like my not going to church this weekend is the most godly thing I can do.  BTW, before you wonder, Big is wonderful about supporting my church and ministry needs.  I think he just wanted us to lay low while the kids had one weekend of overlapping spring breaks.

  • God uses many of my girlfriends, both those who live locally, and those who "live in my computer" to meet for coffee, to text, tweet, call, and email encouragement when I'm spiritually stick-a-fork-in-me-done.  They remind me that I'm not alone.  That I am loved, and that God is who He says He is, and nothing surprises Him. 
When he spoke to me, I was strengthened and said, "Speak, my lord, since you have given me strength."  (Daniel 10:19)

 Photobucket


10 comments:

Jen said...

Great post, Gretchen!
I think that what you are doing by staying home this weekend is one of the most sacrificial things that you could do...especially knowing how much it means to you *personally*.
I wish we all lived closer together so we could meet for Bible study over coffee each week. I'd love to hold hands and pray with each and ever safari sister that I've met and grown to love in the past 10 weeks.
I lack good friends IRL and God has blessed me beyond measure with all your gals who take up residence in my computer...and in my heart!
Love you, Gretchen! Praying for you to have a blessed week! xoxox

Marla Taviano said...

I pray for your hubby at least a week and sometimes many more. Believing God will woo him to Him!

O Mom said...

I too have been so blessed by the encouragemnet I have found in this computer....It's crazy sometimes when I think about it, because I wasn't looking for it. But knowing that women I have never set eyes on, are praying for me and my husband just increases my faith daily!
You are such a part of that. Thank you :)

Tiffani said...

Oh.yes.

where would I be w/o those who encourage me...online or real life...

I love being the encourage-er and the encourage-ee ;)

This study has just been wonderful!! What a blessing each word you write has been to me and I you could not have said my heart better when you said "if you cut him, I bleed". Whew. Misty mama eyes...sons are such a gift to their Mamas!

Glad HE gives us strength in those moments when it seems as though our Mama hearts won't withstand!

love you!

Gretchen said...

Your submission and sacrificial love is way more important than a church service. You are the Jesus that he sees.

Beautiful wife!

Denise said...

Wonderful post.

care-in said...

Since becoming a SAHM I have found encouragement in the least likely of places!! Beautiful post Gretchen.

Gretchen said...

Thank you, my friends, for your sweet comments, and for praying for me and for my husband. You will never know my gratitude completely for what you're doing. Jewels in YOUR crowns. xxxooo

His Girl said...

Oh gretchen,
I am so impressed with how succinctly you can express your faith. I don't know if you'll know until eternity what an impression you leave on my heart, my word-y encourage-y amiga.
You've also reminded me to be a better encourager to others. I can get so self involved sometimes...your friendship and your participation in this study are making such strides in opening my eyes to loving others.

Lisa Smith said...

oh gretch!! I'm just crying...because it seems that's what i do this week...
i feel very "stick-a-fork-in-me-done" right now and you have been the encourager. :)
xoxoxoxoxo

ps i agree with jen...wouldn't a good long chat at starbux do us all some good? or maybe kleenex huddle on my living room couch? love all you safari sisters!!