Wow! I'm almost on the ball and ready for Mer's 10 on the 10th on the actual...10th! Holla!
True confessions: I lurve my b'day. And, I like it to last as long as possible (no, I'm not 14, I'm 41, but still...) So, w/o further ado, this post has to do with my b'day memories.
1. My mom and dad must've lurved b'days, too, because I had a half b'day celebration when I was 4.5. And I don't know why. I was crowned with a paper-towel tiara. Worked for me.
2. On my 8th b'day, my cockapoo ate my b'day cake. Yes, she lived. I also received a snappy red jumpsuit. Handmade.
3. When I turned 10, my mom threw me an honest-to-goodness party at Happy Joes pizzeria and invited all the popular kids to come because I had just moved to CO 7 mos. before, and I was lonely. Looking back, I see what a sacrifice this was for her. We never had money. Especially for a party. I even remember the Snoopy (on roller skates)cake and the roller skates, complete with blue vinyl carrying case. I tried scanning a picture of this, but it wouldn't come out of my magnetic-death-to-pictures-album, so you'll just have to imagine me at that awkward age. ;)
4. When I was 14, I receive this album from my Dad.
5. Sweet 16 was my first b'day celebrated with Big. And a surprise party, to boot! I also had a Garfield (playing the flute) cake. I know...cool.
(ah, Polaroids...remember them?)
6. On my 21st b'day (ahem...20 YEARS AGO), CU Boulder had an unusual event: A Snow Day! I had lots of snow days in school, growing up, but it was nearly a never-event for a University to shut down. This meant that the only one cheering me and Big on as I did the "mall crawl" on the deserted Pearl Street Mall was...ahem...a homeless schizophrenic lady who yelled at us. Talk about a buzz-kill, literally. I do believe the next day had us all wearing shorts.
7. My 29th b'day was the last where I received a present from my mom (since she died right before I turned 30). I remember opening the package with the gLee of a 10 year old kid. I don't remember all of the contents, but I did get a Clinique lipstick in Raspberry Glace. For all our differences, she did love to celebrate me.
8. On my 30th b'day I was understandably not exactly in the mood to celebrate. However, my girlfriends and my hubby were so amazing. First, my husband tried his best to make the day special, and bought me some what-do-you-get-your-wife-when-she's-just-lost-her-mom?-jewelry. And my girlfriends waited a month, then threw me the best party ever. Knowing that I lurve me some 1:1 or 1: few time, they arranged an entire day devoted to dropping me to be with one or two friends at a time, all after one another. I was treated to a homemade, delicious breakfast, painted pottery, had lunch out, went to a fun bookstore, had pedis, and decompressed over a glass of wine with my last friend of the day, who took me home. Bliss.
9. When I turned 32, I was packing a 2.5 and 4.5 year old and all our stuff to get ready to move to WA. Wow! I cannot believe it's been 9 years.
10. This year was extra special, too. I was celebrated sweetly by all manner of friends and family. And though you probably can't read my cake, it was inspired (and made by the kids) by this website.
"Hoppy Birtday.
Next line Mo".
I.Am.Blessed.




19 comments:
Such a fun post.
Catching up on all your posts after being out of town. I love that you and Big have been together so long! And loved the pearls post. So sweet.
Love being your friend and praying for you and your fam.
Have an awesome day!!
You're worth celebrating over and over!!
Love the hair in the pic. I was into the french braid, too!
such fun Bday memories. LOve the 30th one. What great friends!
I Love Birthdays too and am impressed you remember all those so well!
Have a great day.
This is a fun, fun idea for 10 on the 10th!!!
I love the 16th party pics (the Pepsi Throwback cans cracked me up).
Oh girl. Raspberry Glace? I bet I still have a shiny silver tube of that somewhere.
Love you!
I would comment on the Garfield playing flute cake but I'm too busy awwwwwing over you and Big in the slow dance stance.:) So cute.
And I must say your "rememberer" is phenomenal...for being (ahem) 39.;)
This post made me smile, hope you have an awesome day.
Chicago?! Love them!
the pictures and that cake are just too precious for words.
You rocked the french braids! Love the progressive visit idea. How sweet!
This was so much fun to read! NEM had a birthday where our cat ate the middle out of her cake before she got to see it! One & only cat we ever had...
You all are too kind. Thanks for your sweet comments. Weren't the braids fun? And I have to say...boo on culture for young girls. There I was, 5'6' and 125 lbs, and thought.i.was.fat.
LOVED this list... as it allows me to see more and more of who you are...
Thanks for your sweet visit and your words. You always bless me!
Chicago 16. Now THAT'S good music. So glad I get to celebrate the rest of your birthdays with you.
This post was full of such goodness. Sweet friends, fond memories, young love, Chicago, Helen Hunt (I could have sworn I saw her dancing with Big...)
Serious luuuurved it. Glad you had such a wonderfully celebrated day, friend.
I love that!!!
And love those pictures....nothing like polaroids and very fun polyester.
Happy Birthday, G! All week long!!
What an awesome, AWESOME post!!I loved all of your birthday memories. (I'm a big believer in birthdays, as you probably know LOL, so I especially loved this!)
Our dog ate half a chocolate cake and didnt even burp. Amazing what they can consume and not die, even when you want them to.
What a fun list! Birthdays ARE fun, aren't they?
Somehow your list reminded me of a birthday memory that I can't share on my blog, but I need to get it out. So... lucky you! My mom also threw me a surprise birthday party for my 16th, but it was so embarrassing. She made it a BIG deal, hired a DJ for our backyard and everything. I was NOT cool enough to merit a DJ - trust me. But also, she invited EVERYONE in my church youth group, including the youth pastor (who I know personally now and I'm sure HATED coming). I didn't even know 90% of the kids because I was so shy. I'm sure they took pity on me. It was awful, but I was grateful that my mom put so much thought into it. But all I wanted to do was go up to my room and read. *sigh*
There. Now you know.
Oh! Also, GO BUFFS! I went to CU also!
O.M.G.
Post a Comment