Andrea, from Pass the Zoloft, asked about what my fantasy life would be like after the kids launched. Please, Lord, let them launch--at least to some degree. :) I'm starting my fantasies from the least to greatest level of possible reality. Thanks for the question, Andrea. This was totally fun. I'll be answering the other questions/addressing other ideas as I go along this spring.
On a purely fantasy basis, I'd love to go to drama school and be a terrific variety show performer (e.g. Carol Burnett), or a character actress, along the lines of Lucy/Ethel, or Rhoda/Mary Tyler Moore. Or, maybe comedy school. I need to take some stuff to an open mic night sometime in the future and just have fun. Because the great thing about my ever-forgetful/distractible/geographically challenged personality is that I can be really funny. Sometimes even when I mean to. Because improvisation has been a necessity in my existence. Alas, there is actually a time and place when being quick with one's words is a good thing.
Another fantasy which is prolly more "realistic" would be going back to school (since 6+ years wasn't enough) for a physician's assistant or nurse practitioner degree, so that I could work very closely with patients and their families. Don't know if I'm over speech therapy or not, but I'm fantasizing, so I can shoot for the moon. I've also thought about moving forward into some sort of Christian counseling because it's ding-dang h.a.r.d. to find a good counselor when you need one, much less find one with a Christian world view.
Last fantasy...Owning a quilting store on Whidbey Island, and having quilters' retreats, and touching, feeling, and creating with all that beautiful fabric. Sigh. There was a store available and ready to go in Langley for the last year or 2, and it was finally sold. I know it's not the right time in my life for this type of thing, and I don't resent it, but it's still hard when somebody else is doing your dream for the moment. Just makes me want to embrace the here and now more, though, before it's gone. I have 4+ school years left with my son at home full time, and 6+ years left with my daughter. Pulling my hair out by days and eating my heart out by nights.
So...wanna play? What do you want to do either when your kids are launching or just right now. What appeals to your "One day, I'd love to..." (did you notice the ellipses?)
7 comments:
I definitely have to agree with the 'funny' part my friend! You always have me in stitches and help me to see the lighter side of things! Lurve you to pieces!!
Some days I want to go back to school and get a nursing degree because it was I wanted to do as a child but let Chemistry intimidate and derail me.
Other days I want to take classes to learn the things I'd like to do well such as photography or cooking.
Other days I just want to move to the beach and sit on the back porch and watch the ocean waves and be a bum.
If I could take CPQ's answer and say I'll take beach bum for $500, Alex. BUT it would be with a FANCY camera in hand taking AWESOME pictures...cause I'll have had my lessons by then.;)
I love you.
I have no idea what I'm going to be when I grow up.
But I LOVE all of your ideas!! I'll sell t-shirts at your stand-up shows. Or work the register at your quilt shop.
Or come to you for counseling.
I had no idea about your funny side...makes me want to MIRL. I'm not outgoing by nature but most or all of my friends make up for that. I love when a friend can give me a good laugh!
When I was in jr. high a friend and I would make plans to go to the vidal sassoon salon (if there is such a place) and learn how to do hair.
When the kids are grown I'd love to do fun stuff like cosmetology, cooking classes, photography, etc.
What a fun post!
You can totally do all those things! So exciting! I will respond to them when my sis is gone.
Post a Comment