I was going to dredge up my 2009 New Year's Resolutions and do a witty analysis of my epic fail progress on them. But the truth is, I have no business making New Year's Resolutions. I do not follow through well. I am distractible and wait a minute...where was I? And I am highly irresponsible with high ticket priced items. Just ask Big how many times I've lost or "misplaced" a camera. People are more important than things. Right? RIGHT? I digress.
If you're still with me, you probably know that folks are typically firmly for or against making resolutions, with very little middle ground. I tend to make them every year. Most of the time I'm rewriting the same ones. Mitzi Gaynor wasn't the only "cock-eyed optimist". I have no idea why I choose to be in the pro-resolution camp. Seriously. Do you know, as a speech therapist working with my amazing patients, the only thing which grossed me out more than seeing copious amounts of mucous was the super-spidey scary thought of setting measureable goals for my patients to achieve? Oh, the pressure! Would they swallow/speak/pay attention for "x" amount of trials with 80, 90 or 100% accuracy? Well, would they? Inquiring minds (and insurance companies) wanted to know.
I think I make resolutions because it's a grand idea to think that I could pull off writing something down and actually crossing it off my list. In fact, I do write things down. I have several notebooks and pens scattered throughout my house, car, and purse. I'm what you call an IDEA person. I'm sure I read somewhere where my thoughts and creativity are necessary in some contrived group work situations.
One could argue for the intrinsic accountability in making resolutions. However, as I've noted...this accountability did nothing for me.
And because of that...without further ado, I give you:
My Resolution for 2010:
"Wag more and bark less".
So...what camp are you in? pro-resolution? anti-resolution? And BTW, do you have great plans for tonight? Happy New Year, my friends.
12 comments:
There's nothing better than a fresh pad (or six) laying around and a newly sharpened pencil (or twelve) with which to write resolutions which will be broken in three months or less.
HOWEVER, I do it.
I, too, am taking a stripped down approach to the New Year, with one simple phrase: Go the extra step.
Love this post. Love your resolution. You make me happy.
No plans tonight. 2 girlies recovering from stomach flu. 3 of us left to get (or escape) it. We might as well have leprosy.
Happy New Year!!
I'm not a good follow-througher.
So my resolution...
Just follow-through. Whether itis unloading the dishwasher or sharing my faith with someone on my heart.
Just follow-through.
I'm a huge fan of resolutions! Not that I ever accomplish (or even remember) them--for me, the joy is sitting on Dec. 31st and making them. In my book, it's all about hope :)
Happy New Year's Gretchen! I hope 2010 is a banner year for you!!
Praying for your request. This post made me think of you. http://bit.ly/7Sg4Ax
totally anti-resolution here...
I love your quote at the end and I think I'll follow that one myself!!
Happy New Year my sweet Gretchen!
I try to make two... a tangible and a spiritual...
still scrambling to think of the second.
and I'm going for the VERY VERY SHALLOW killer arms in '10 for the first.
Not so much resolutions as hopes. I love writing down all the things I want to accomplish in the new year, but I give myself a lot of grace:-)
An idea person.....
I love that. That describes me too, the follow through, not so much. I love the idea of resolutions so I keep making them, with the hope that one of these times I'll impress myself.
It's been so nice getting to know you a bit this year and love that your in my state, even though I'm clear on the other side now. I smile when you mention the rain! :)
I usually make a couple of resolutions, but try to keep them to myself. Therefore, they are easily forgotten. ;)
CPQ made me make a resolution to join twitter in 2010.
I have big ideas and little follow-through. I think middle ground would be a good place for me if I could find it. I like your resolution. It has enough meat on it for the whole year, I think.
Love it - if you're only going to pick one, that's a dandy!
Post a Comment