Thursday, December 3, 2009

Using the Broken Pieces

For whatever reason, I am unable to make decent paragraphs. Imagine they're there, please.
He broke the angel yesterday. I received this Nativity set from my in-laws about 5 years ago. Oh, how I love it! It was my very first set. Lurve Jim Shore's artwork--especially in this set--because it marries my lurve of all things quilting with my love of Christmas. You see, I like to call myself a quilter. I am enthralled with the creative process of using useless, cast aside pieces and fashioning them into something useful, and, hopefully, beautiful. But where was I? Oh, yes. He broke the angel.
THIS angel. (grrr.) Oh, I glued the wings back on. But still. You can tell.
Now, I also have a beautiful ceramic nativity set which I bought at a garage sale. It's loaded with pageantry and lovely colors--I'm sure it was JUST LIKE the manger scene all those years ago. ;) No, I know better, but it sure looks nice on my table. Or it did. Before "Baby Jesus" broke and had to be swept and discarded, and before "Gabriel" took a terrible tumble, and required a transverse waist to hip corrective glue surgical procedure. Thankfully, s/he survived. Yes, I know Gabriel was a "he", but isn't it funny--all the angels are girly? Oopsie, digressing again.
Why are all the nativity sets in danger you ask? Because of David. My beloved son. My "(crash!) um, Mom...we have a bit of a problem..." son. A son who loves history, and wants things to be just so. A son who, for the past several years, has rearranged both nativities to suit the picture of authenticity in his mind's eye. Oh, it bugs me. And then i pause (not often enough, of course) and think to myself, "who cares?" I mean, who cares about how these nativity scenes end up if my son knows the meaning of Christmas?
I'll admit this attitude is often hard to come by, especially when David starts breaking arranging my special Jim Shore nativity. My perfect set. My Mary. My Jesus. My Shepherds. Etc.
Ouch. My.
Well, yes, He is mine. But He came to save the world. The battered and worn world. A world full of broken pieces. And He, Himself, was broken for us on the cross.
He came for a boy who feels like he messes up a lot--in school, with other kids his age, but knows he's precious because of who he is and Whose he is.
He came for a girl who traverses the unsure realities of middle school with a brave smile and a too often bruised heart.
He came for a man. A good man. A man who doesn't quite know what to believe, but who knows that Christmas is a time for coming together and for celebrating something special.
He came for all of us who are rehearsing the Christmas play at my church. Oh, the pride, the insufficiencies in words and music. The tireless trying and still not quite getting it right, but getting almost there. Oh, how He eclipses those and brings us all together inspite of ourselves.
He came for a quilter who has sometimes felt useless, battered, and worn, herself. Good pieces here, colors that don't match there. But inexplicably, pulled together into someone who still has holes. Someone who still has rough edges and seams, but in His grace, feels beautiful.
Thank You, Lord. Though it is never enough. Thank You.
Photobucket

18 comments:

Mich said...

Beautiful...watery eyes here.

I have a nativity set just like yours. A special gal named "Amb" gave me mine about five years ago too. Love it! This was a precious post.

You will never believe what my countdown picture is tonight!!! I think you will like it.

Blessings and prayers friend!

O Mom said...

This brought tears.
I habe so many broken pieces myself, but I know that without them I wouldn't need Jesus who shows how they all fit back together.

Marla Taviano said...

Hey, Gretchen. I just saw your comment on Whimzie's blog and it made me smile, so I popped over. Love your bio. LOVE your dynamic bucket list. If I had a bucket list (which I keep meaning to), it'd have a lot of the same ones! Nice to meet you!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Oh Gretchen. You made me cry. Beautiful post, friend. We're all broken, but amazingly, God still uses us to tell the Story. And I'm grateful.

Cathy said...

Amazing Love...how can it be, that thou my God would (come and) die for ME.

Lurve you.

Tiffani said...

Oh honey...this just warmed me from my head to my toes..

I love that you are a Mama willing to recognize these things about herself, her kiddos and her man..and by sharing helps her friends see that He uses and even LIKES broken pieces.

Love you!

Gretchen said...

I'm so glad our Father knows how to make broken pieces beautiful again.
Thanks for the reminder!

Gretchen said...

Mich: I've heard of Amb. She's pretty special, I think.

O Mom: Amen. Broken represents our beginning in Him, no?

Marla: Hi, actually, I know of you, and am a fan. I won "Is That All He Thinks About?" and "From Blushing Bride to Wedded Wife". Going to gift FBBTWW to my sitter, who we've watched grow up. She's getting married at the end of this summer. Thanks for stopping by!

Mer: The more I learn of the Story, the more I'm amazed to be included.

Cathy: Lurve those words and that song. xxxooo

Tiffani: I think He DOES like the broken pieces. You're right. xxxooo

New Every Morning: It's funny how being upset at my son for breaking one of my things can totally be an object lesson in how much the Father loves me.

Denise said...

Thanks for beautifully touching my heart, love you.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Gretchen. I have goosebumps on my face even. This was so incredibly beautiful. This is one of those posts that makes me wish with all my heart that we could sit in the same room and talk about this until we run out of words (i.e. forever!). One day we will. I just know it.

This goes on my "keep to come back and read again" list. Thank you.

Jenster said...

My eyes are leaking. This is so beautiful, Gretchen. I'm sorry about the broken pieces of your nativities, but I love the way you bring this story back to THE most important thing.

His Girl said...

*tears*
and mad love for you.

also, Get D a Fontanini nativity. for realz.

Julie said...

When Papa God looks at you I think He must see the most beautiful tapestry.

You are a true beauty!

Have missed my times here... Glad to be here today!

Much love, my friend!

Bev said...

I'm right there with everyone else - simply beautiful. xoxoxo

Becky said...

Awwwww! **sniff, sniff** Luuurvely.

What a beautiful thing you'll now remember every time you put that set out in the future...

Carpool Queen said...

Oh, Gretchen. I love your heart. And your patience. And your openness to seeing the truth beyond the reality.

Thank you for sharing this with me today.

Kelly said...

Gretchen- Absolutely beautiful. I love your heart for your family, you have such a depth of love and compassion that pours out into your writing. (And I love the picture of your son. How precious... even with the breakage... for a teen boy to care about the set up of a nativity. What a treasure)

Mels Place in Big Bear said...

You are so right about everything! Beautifully written. You should submit that to a Christian magazine next year. Send it in 6 months before the season starts. But then again, magazines might be extinct by then. And it's lovely just where it is.