Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Last GladiTuesday of 2009!


I'm having a hard time believing that the time to make resolutions (or not) has come again. I'll have to search in my archives to see how I fared in my resolutions for 2009. But before I become despondent, I'd like to list some gladdies for the past week, and for the year, in general.



10. I'm so glad that blogging opened the door for me to meet an incredible list of women (and men--howdy Pony Boy). Not only have I been blessed to meet people in real life for lunches (hello, Mer! twice!) and coffees (howdy, Becky! holla, Cathy!), but I had 4 privilege of hosting 4 lurvely and adventurous bloggers for an amazing weekend in August. This may sound trite or like I'm overstating, but I truly thing meeting in real life is a small taste of what heaven will be like. I can't wait. Below is Meredith and me, captured in a brief moment where my mouth isn't either chewing or chatting. I'm so grateful we had time together to chillax. After lunch, she drove me by my old stomping grounds, and I showed her our very first house, and our second, within a mile of one another. Hard to believe all the changes which have occured in just under 9 years.

9. Grateful that I was able to find-Holla!-The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society at my local libarry, so I can spend my Barnes and Noble gift card on other books, like this one. Or, this one. But reading new books is on my new year's resolution list, so I don't want to get ahead of myself. Assuming I work in a linear, logical fashion. Hahahahahahaha. ahem.


8. Grateful that I've had a nice, long time with Big home before his next trip to China. It's never a good time for him to be gone, but we've enjoyed 1/2 of November and all of December with him. I cannot believe our 20th anniversary is just 6 months away.


7. Glad that, as I write this on the evening of my mom's 65th birthday, I am wistful and nostalgic that she's not here, but so happy that she's celebrating her 10th b'day in heaven. I wonder what she and my little brother are talking about. Won't it be great when, one day, I'll meet him? He died a few days after birth, when I was 1. Praying that my friends who have lost loved ones in the last year will find peace and comfort, and will remember the joy and silliness they shared with their folks. Doesn't this just underscore the need to live intentionally and work on making sweet memories with our families? I know every day can't be sunshine and rainbows (especially in the Pacific NW), but losing a parent at a relatively early age has shown me that life is finite. Time to live well. Okay...sermonette finished.


6. Glad that I'm finished going on my eat-everything-in-sight rampage of the last 4 days. Sheesh. Even I am tired of food right now. I'll be ready to make things super right again after our junk food fiesta/sleep over for New Year's Eve.


5. Speaking of which, I'm glad that we're having our 4th annual sleepover with some favorite friends on New Year's Eve. We've done the junk food night since our children were little and we couldn't afford babysitting/didn't want to go out on the icy roads with drunk drivers, and now we've married it to this sleepover. Great, great fun. The only thing missing is Dick Clark. But I guess Carson Daly will have to carry the torch.


4. Was so glad to see the loving eyes of our ooooold Dachshund, Murphy, and our young Golden Retriever, Annie. They missed us while we were in CO, and I have to say...I actually missed them. A little. ;)


3. Glad for a high efficiency washer because I've had nothing but high amounts of laundry as of late. Mercy!


2. Glad for the promise of a new year, with fresh starts and new ideas.


1. Glad for our local law inforcement. Not to be "Debbie Downer", but the Seattle area has lost 6 officers since Oct. 31st. Two were shot by a known cop-hater on Halloween (one lived). Four were gunned down in November as they ate donuts/drank coffee and wrote notes in a coffee shop; and lastly, on Dec 21, 2 officers were shot during a domestic dispute. One of them was treated after being shot in the neck and released, and the other was just taken off life support tonight. He died at 5:04, leaving behind a wife, a 10 year old son, and a 16 year old daughter. I am so glad, not only for our military, but for those in our communities who put themselves in harm's way each day for folks like me.

Photobucket

9 comments:

Carpool Queen said...

Delicious list, friend. I, too, want to read more next year. I don't need to make a list because Whimzie always has one going for me.

Your New Year's Eve tradition sounds like a fun one. We usually stay home on NYE, but our babysitter is home, broke, and saving for grad school, so as a ministry, we're going to go out with friends and hit two parties this year.

It's a sacrifice :)

You were one of my favorite parts of this last year - Blessings to you for 2010.

Unknown said...

I feel so blessed to have met you, face-to-face, this year. Our time in Whidbey is probably the best thing I did all year....and I've done a lot of great things!

I saw on the news this morning that that officer had died. Its so sad. But I too am grateful for those who serve our country and communities in a way that puts them in grave danger. And I am thankful for thier families too.

Girl, I'm hoping that 2010 will include another face-to-face meeting, after all we're platernal...we're family...so it HAS to happen!

Amber said...

I am so sad that my name wasn't on that shout out list of MIRL's...but it will be. One day. It will be. I just know it.

And, I, too, am so anxious to meet my big brother in Heaven. He passed away as a baby before I was born, and I can't wait to worship Jesus with him!

Love you, friend. Happy New Year!

Cathy said...

It always makes my heart GLAD when I see that you have posted, my FIRST MIRL friend!!

I LUUUURVE your list. And I will join you this next year with reading more...hoping that we will have our 2nd MIRL over coffee or Gelato or...well, any kind of food will do...just so long as it's a longer meet up this time.:)

O Mom said...

I think this was my favorite list, so touching!
Feeling like I need to do this today, get my heart in the right place. :)

Mich said...

As always, your lists make me smile.

Hope you had a WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS!

Julie said...

Happy New Year, dear friend....

LOVED the photo of you and Mer!

Wish I could have been there with you both!

Hugs from across the country to you!

xoxoxoxo

Gretchen said...

What a beautiful list to end 2009.
I'm so glad the Lord brought us together as cyber fwends this year!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I made the list! WOOHOO!!!!

I enjoyed the time with you, friend. So glad it worked out.

Happy New Year, Gretchen. I am looking forward to a wonderful year!