Rimshot pls.
I'll be here all week.
I've been up to lots of things...mostly trying to wrap myself around the fact that Christmas will be here before we know it. That Thanksgiving is merely two shakes of a lamb's tail away, and I'm just now putting away my Halloween decorations. As in...just walked down out of the attic about 10 seconds ago. And don't worry. I put the flashlight away...just in case we lose power or have another one of these in our state.
Just an aside: We don't do severe thunderstorms and tornadoes in Seattle. Or in Western Washington. Ever. They just don't happen. Good thing I had my CO training for what to do (a.k.a. watch TV or try to watch the skies--never run for shelter). Earthquakes: check. Rain: double check. But even our rain is typically thunderless. Funnel clouds: nope.
I'm trying to wrap my mind around enjoying each holiday for all that it is, while not attaching baggage to what it "should be". Thanksgiving will be easier, since I'll be exhausted from our Christmas play rehearsal--I won't be able to stress much. And we'll be here...just our 4-pack, with any "orphans" from church who want to come and over-eat and play Wii.
But this will be our first Christmas away from our home in probably 7 or 8 years. We're going back because it's just time. Big and I have always said that Santa comes here. Period. Anyone is welcome to join in the reindeer games and stay, but after bumping along to 3 or 4 different homes on Christmas in our early marriage and feeling like there was no holiday in the holiday, we decided to stop that madness. However, folks do age, and Santa is still celebrated, but less anticipated, if you know what I mean. And travel around the holidays becomes less attractive to folks with mobility issues. Which means that other folks (meaning: our family) need to bend. Gosh, that's hard. I wish it weren't. I'll take easy bending for $200, Alex. I wish I was so involved in being Christ-like at Christmas that I didn't care about having the holiday here. In my house. My way. With our traditions. And on our schedule. Feels like a lot of "me", "my" and "our" there. Ouch. So, bend I will, Yoda. As will my fam. Especially my son, Rigid David, who, in no uncertain terms has let us know that he would prefer to be home for Christmas (again, and again, and again). BTW, if you think I'm mean for name-calling, I am. But we all joke about our collective family rigidity. The apple hasn't fallen far from the tree. But he takes after his father. Nonetheless, we all have to get over ourselves and grow up a bit.
If God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him would have eternal life, I can step up and give a holiday.
But only in His grace. Oh, how i need His grace.
Anyhoo...What've you been up to lately?
OH! I almost forgot. I'm also about 1/4 way thru my first knitting-in-the-round (also known as hell on earth because I don't have 4 hands) project. I know you were worried. I'll post pictures when I'm finished.
OH! I almost also forgot. I'm growing my first avocado from seed, and it's actually in a pot! Woo hoo. And why I care about this, I'll never know. I just do. Giddy, in fact. I feel like Tom Hanks' character in "Castaway" when he made fire.
Okay. That is all.

12 comments:
You are a busy bee, buzz buzz. I love you.
Rigidity? We don't know ANYTHING about that here at my house. I'm grinding my back molars about Christmas and Thanksgiving and wanting to stay at my home for both.
And yay for your in the knitting roundness. It makes me want to start on another project, but I have three going right now, and I.must.finish.one.
Have a flexy day.
My attitude about traveling at Christmas last year would have put the Grinch to shame. I get to stay home this year, but that means that I'll be in CO when you're here!
A tornado? Really? That's very odd.
Glad you're safe.
It's so hard to bend sometimes, especially when our kids don't want to bend too. That's when I have to tell myself, "be the adult, be like Christ."
There will be little gems along the way. Have fun looking for them. ;)
I'm a wannabe.
Because NEVER.NOT ONCE. have we had Christmas in our own home. We do the mad shuffle from house to house and are never at home. I try to make the best of it, but it gets old making up stories as to why we are so special that Santa visits us a week before all the other kids.
Try to sit back and enjoy the holidays. I'll be trying with you.
Oh..and that tornado? W.E.I.R.D.
yep, busy bees down south too...
glad you're safe and looking forward to some upcoming things...
I have no idea what knitting in the round is..but gathering it must be difficult!
I can't wait to get the Christmas stuff out and decorate!!!
Can't believe it's already upon us!!
I just wanted to say thank you for your comment on my blog and for your prayers! :)
Dear Platernal Twinkie,
I do believe that we are very flexible...when it suits us...uh, when we need to be.
OH, and you've NEVER spent a Christmas at my house yet? So when can I expect you? ;)
oh, amiga...
I can't even comment right cause I'm just sitting here, loving the tar out of you and our platernal sisterhood. I love that you call your children names (cause you know I do) and that you know them so well that you can understand and sympathize and help them work through the hard stuff.
and really, i think while you're doing your holiday home tour you should come to our house.
that would be REALLY NICE for those of us who are good at thinking of others and not of themselves. we could teach you to come visit us.
(snort)
Laughed myself silly over your comment about the avocado seed, lol. Your sense of humor always strikes a chord in me. Pretty sure you're a kindred spirit of the Anne of Green Gables ilk, lol.
As for tornados...I just saw in the news recently that Oregon had one, and was quite shocked...because having come from a long line of lifelong PNWers, the only one I'd ever heard of before that was one that happened in Yelm back in the 50's and cut about a mile swath through farm country. My cousins attended Yelm high school, who have a 'tornado' as their mascot in honor of that day (the dumbest ever mascot IMO...it just spins and spins on the field. The poor guy inside must be so dizzy by the end of a football game, lol).
Was just admiring all the yarn on sale at JoAnn's today...
yay for your avocado. This was a very funny post. great pace. I feel like its all a blur right now. Just got back from San Fran for a big geek out fest, and got to hang with His Girl for a few days. Work is up to my eyeballs, but its all good.
More grace.
Post a Comment