Tuesday, August 19, 2008

It's Really Okay. In Fact, More Than Okay...

I sat in my bathroom today while my daughter gave me a manicure. She sawed this way and that with the purple emory board. As she painted my nails, she scraped so much polish off the brush that it was nearly a "dry brush" manicure. She painted them sideways. There was lumpage. Smudging.

I didn't say a thing. Except this: Thank you! I love it.

I went out to dinner with my girlfriends, and everytime I looked at my hands, I thought of my precious daughter, and her sometimes incessant, sometimes appropriate need to just be with me. And I was humbled that at times, I'm downright stingy with my minutes. So, at that point, I felt thankful for her presence in my life. And my hands have never looked more beautiful.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

So sweet. Even though Lil' G is only 5, I'm already sad over the day when she chooses her friends over quality time with me. The times we've got right now are such a treasure.

Denise said...

This really made me smile, thanks for being you. I love you.

Jackie said...

That is precious. I will have to remember this down the road when my daughter does the same thing - I'll have to remind myself that the time spent is way more important than whether things are done perfectly.

Our Home Schooler and Jen said...

what a lovely post
and how special for both of you :)

Jen

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

Beautiful and I have been humbled and convicted. You are so precious.

Nise' said...

Love the image! Brings back many memories of the many "make-overs" my daughter performed on me. Now she is a teacher of cosmetology!!

Dawn Bibbs said...

Oh my goodness, Gretchen...you're gonna make me cry! Jayla is ALWAYS asking me to do her nails or if she can paint mine. And it's so easy to say, "No" or "not right now". Like you said, she just really wants to be with ME. She is SUCH a daddy's girl...I mean, you have NO IDEA!!! In fact, she's actually kinda rude/mean to me when daddy is within a 5 mile radius :-). But she always manages to tell me that she loves me TOO! Wow, I should do a post about this very thing.

Thanks, Gretchen. You're right...it really is OK!!

Barb said...

These are the moments that make it all worth it. This put a lump in my throat, it's so sweet. I'm thinking this is the best manicure you ever had.

Girl Raised in the South said...

Asolutely precious, not only that you had the time together, but that she did a less than perfect job and yet you kept it that way to cherish what it signified. Much like those lumpy beds they make when theyre about 5 and everything in us wants to remake them, but we leave them, lumps and all. xoxo

Jenn said...

I smiled like everyone else when I read this - what a great mom you are! What great memories DG will have of you letting her do your nails and that you loved them no matter how they looked.

I am caught up! I would like to say I will not get behind again but can't promise that. Have a great Thursday. :o)

Susie Q said...

Such a precious post sweet friend. I teared up as I read it and know you now have a warm memory for you and for your darlin' girl.

Love,
Sue

Jenster said...

Such a sweet, sweet post.