Friday, August 15, 2008

In Which The Realization Occurs That It's Okay That School Starts In 2.5 Weeks

Yeah...my emotions have been running awry this week. Not sure why. Except this: I don't do change well. I mean, I try to do change well, but my personality sees change coming down the pike and like the kids in the movie Stand By Me, who amble along the tracks in utter denial of danger, finally realizes there is no turning back and screams, NOOOOooooooooooooo! Or something like that. Control freak, anyone?

See, I finally got used to summer.

I got used to having the kids around 24/7 and e.n.j.0.y.i.n.g. them 24/7. The onlychildwho needsherspace!!! fell back and enjoyed the togetherness and the lazy days of summer.

My kids had one 4 day stint @ Bible camp. And Drama Girl had one other camp. That's it. No soccer practices. No 1/2 day camps resulting in red-faced sweaty kids. Not that those are bad, but this is the summer we essentially checked out. We were in town. We were in the beach. Usually, we were reading. Or walking. Or doing nothing.

Nothing. Cloud watching. My grandma always says kids are too busy to make cloud pictures. Well, we didn't make them every day. But...our days were slow.

This past week, I've started the dreaded expensive hormonal process of shopping for clothes for my 10-ager. She is now mostly in juniors' sizing thanks to size 9.5 feet and a height of just a scootch under 5 feet. Daddy is 6' 4". Need I say more? Well, needless to say, at 10, in a body that doesn't quite feel girly or womanly, she's not having the most ideal time shopping. And, lemme tell you...these "junior"stores are not for the faint at heart. How old do I sound!!! Seriously! Oh, my. But anyway...that's another chink in the armor of no-changes-thank-you.

And David...well, he'd rather I just buy all his stuff and not mention the word "school" in front of him. We went to a lovely potluck last night to welcome new kids to the school. "I really don't want to go, Mom. I'm fine. Really." And you know what? I kinda knew what he was saying. It's August 15th, and since my kids got out at the mid/end of June, he's not ready to face this first year back in a new school and out of homeschooling. Yet. Be assured though, that with promises of food and...well promises of food, we got him to the potluck, showered and everything.

"Honey, please take a shower before we leave."

"Why??? I took one yesterday!"

"Well, you stink."

"I do?"

"Um, yeah. It's called sweat. You've run around, you've slept, you've done boy things. You need a shower. "

"I TOOK ONE YESTERDAY!!"

"You need to watch your tone. Please get into the shower. "

And so it went. He did shower. He re-wore the day's clothes, but he showered. Pick thouest battles, no?

So, I guess we all have our bumps in assimilating to upcoming change.

Yet...

  • the kids are kvetching at each other (more than usual)
  • the Olympics are tiring me out--heaven's sake, I haven't stayed up this late since doing college term papers
  • the leaves are just.starting.to.change
  • Big is about to leave for a week (more togetherness than even I like with the kids!)
  • I'm giving up sugar shoot me now
  • our lack of routine is sometimes harder than the full routine of fall/winter/spring
  • We're trying out for the Christmas play at church

So...I guess it's okay that fall is arriving. Isn't that nice of me to allow God to move the seasons like that? :O) It's okay.

Gotta go...time to walk the dogs before it hits 90 and then go school supply shopping. If I don't post any more it's because we no longer have internet service because we'll surely be out of money soon.

Soli Deo Gloria!

10 comments:

Denise said...

Boo Hoo, back to school blues. Bless your heart sweetie, love you bunches.

Jenster said...

My kiddos have one week left. I'm really good with that. REALLY good with that. I think it's sweet that just when I start tearing up about them going back to school they start acting in a less than pleasant manner and make me look forward to them being gone for several hours a day.

Suzanne said...

I feel for ya. I'm not really one for change either. I start work tomorrow (registration) and my kids go back a week from Monday. I will miss summer so...

However, I will be happy to see my friends at work!

Unknown said...

I can actually hear the shower conversation playing in my minds since we've spent time together -- I was HOWLING!!! hahaha!

And BTW, you make me wanna barf with your rood talk of leaves changing and actually having fall. So insensitive.

Unknown said...

Sry -- that should read "mind." Don't have more than one. In fact, I barely use the one I DO have. :)

Laurie A. said...

i guess i will be the party fart. i start school in about a month and i'm chomping at the bit. i love summer but truth be told ... i'm an autumn gal. now while i am a party fart here, i won't be the saccharine, point out the silver lining lady. change is tough!

Becky said...

It sounds like things around there are crazy like they have been here!
Whew! And good for you giving up sugar!

10ager...LOVE IT! SOOooo could have used that one with Jericho.

Yeah, we had the whole shower battle thing around here all summer long, too. When my son informed me that "I took one yesterday" (as if that's suffient when his bedroom smells like a locker room), I replied, "I fed you yesterday, too. And did laundry. Did you want to eat today? Did you want clean clothes? Because there are some things that MUST be done every day.

Thankfully now that school has begun, he's gotten more fastidious on his own.

Jackie said...

You have a lot going on! I don't blame you for having the back to school blues. I KNOW I'm going to be sad when it's my turn to deal with that.

How is the no sugar thing going? I am supposed to be doing that too...and am doing ok with it for the most part, except for a few cheats here and there. It's hard!

Jenn said...

Christmas try outs already! We start school Monday (as I said earlier) and we have also enjoyed the summer of "nothingness". But I am excited for the Fall to get here as it is one of my fav. seasons.

How is the sugar break going?

Susie Q said...

And my blies are so there too...Grace started back yesterday and I miss her.

I loved reading this post. You always give me so many smiles. Just one of the reasons I love ya.
Sue