Friday, June 24, 2011

This Was Gonna Be a Rant...

And then, I had a check in my spirit. 
I was gonna write something pithy, fun, and perhaps a little mean spirited about how manners matter.  About how every time I go into a pizza place with a name that rhymes with nipple squeezers, I leave with my pizzas and never, never, EVER does a soul move to push open the door for me.  Everyone is always so focused on what they're ordering/doing, etc., that helping a lady juggle her pizzas and 2 litre just doesn't enter their minds' eye.  Please poor grammar (object possessive).  Anyhoo...I was gonna write about that and wonder "what's wrong with people these days?!!!", whilst urging all of you to wonder along with me about the self-centered nature of the world. 

But today...my 13 year old daughter asked me to "Watch me, Mom!  Watch all my tricks!" on the trampoline.  Think of that!  She wants me to watch her, still.  She cares about what I think.  She's so precious, and the days are so fleeting.  It was such a little thing for her to ask.  So I did.

And then...as I sat down to write, I read this post from Jean about the kindness of people.  She shared this quote at the end: 
"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." Robert Brault
So..I didn't have the heart to rant.  Because I get to enjoy my daughter for one more day.  And instead of teaching her to rant, I can teach her to be kind.
 "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,  gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law."  Galatians 5:22-23 (NIV)

Photobucket

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

I love when God turns a rant into a praise!!! :)

Anonymous said...

It's weird because the post I didn't post today had kind of the same idea in a weird roundabout way. It wasn't a rant but I ended up with the same conclusion: That the here and now has so many blessings that we can miss if we're too focused on something we probably shouldn't be focused on in the first place.

And I love how you turned your rant into a reminder to yourself to teach your children to be different. That's a good word.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.