Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The 3 Rs of Summer

Regroup, Reboot, and Renew.  Or is it: outplay, outwit...nevermind. ;)

The point is, we're nearing the half-way point in the year (July 1 or 2, depending on whom you ask), and I need to regroup, reboot, and renew.  Because I am flighty and distractible.

Need to regroup because the kids are nearly out of school for the summer.  Yikes!  Where did 7th and 9th grades go?  Not that I would go back, you understand.  Not that my kids would, either, I trust. Truly the best rated reality TV show would be just filming the angst and tribulations of muddling through the wonder years.  Oooh, is Mark Burnett available for a conference?  I need to raise college tuition--fast!

Closely related to regrouping  is rebooting (except in math terms--but I don't do math--I just talk about it).  Need to reboot the schedule, and balance the needs for rest and unstructured time with the needs of facilitating life skills (e.g. chores, Grommit!), and family "fun" time. 

I suspect we all need some renewal, too.  Whether the New Year's Resolutions need some dusting off and tweaking, or the spirit needs some lifting, it's time to renew.

It might not surprise you to know that I'm an "idea" person.  So that's about all I have right now.  Ideas.  Tick. Tock. 

But one has to start somewhere.  Okay...narrowing the focus...

Regroup: 
  • Dust off the calendar, and remind myself of the current "knowns"--e.g. trips
  • Realize that our family will have 3 b'days, 1 Hallmark holiday, and 1 national holiday within one month--plan accordingly.  Oh, $h!t!  Need to renew!  Send chocolate!  Send wine!
  • Plan for sugared cereal or trip to Frost for last day of school.
  • Hug kids, and rejoice in the fact that they made it.  And that the car is still running after another year of carpooling and commuting.  Holla!
Reboot:
  • Schedule (boooooo!) summer tutoring for August.
  • Schedule oil change.  Doesn't hurt to wash the car, either.
  • Schedule some fun days (e.g. gaming, swimming, hanging with friends)
  • Schedule eyes, teeth, and other money sucking appts.
  • Prioritize weekly family time (e.g. games, walks, drives, goin' to da mtns or da beach).

Renew:
  • Get hairapy on the calendar, STAT!
  • Nap as often as possible.
  • Goals: 
    • Read 3 soley-for-pleasure books
    • Make one quilt, weather tiny or big
    • Do a family devo--somehow--in our split family of believers and prodigals.
    • Stop saying naughty words, even in my head. ;)

So...what chy'all doin' to pass the next 3 months?

Photobucket

3 comments:

Gretchen said...

Goal: Learn the difference between weather and whether, and use them appropriately, as in: The weather looks stormy. And...I love you whether or not you proofread well.

Pam said...

but...you DID use it correctly! and i was impressed that you said "wonder" years, not "wander" as many want to do, which may be actually more accurate for those years....but i digress...

i can help you with the wine/chocolate/quilt stuff. just say when!

love ya!

Marla Taviano said...

I loooooove your goals, friend. Prayed for the believer/prodigal situation just now. Hugs!!