Friday, June 10, 2011

"Survey Says!"

Busy day, so must be brief.

Aren't you grateful? ;)

A God thing happened today. Some might call it smallish, but I call it significantish. I was disappointed about something, and instead of getting angry and reacting with my usual style of pouting and "whataboutme?" attitude, I took a deep breath, asked a few questions, and let it go.

Let. it. go.

Thank you, God!!!

As you may have guessed, when I'm thinking, I quantum leap all over the place. Today is no exception. After thinking about the above interaction--intercession, really--I got to thinking about how I spend my time with Jesus.

Right now, I'm re-reading the Bible in 4 sections at a time (like a Piper study I did last year). And that's about it in terms of quiet time. I do some praying during the quiet time, but generally, I pray throughout the day, as prayer requests and praises come to mind. I also typically pray for the kids as I drop them off for school, and we generally say grace at dinnertime, as a family. When time permits, I also do a bit of reading--right now, i'm about 1/3 of the way through Knowing God, by JI Packer. Sometimes, I also read books like Crazy Love (Francis Chan), Radical (David Platt), and other current Christian nonfiction whilst I'm (ahem) soaking in the tub. (Dying here b/c Blogger isn't allowing me to select and hyperlink--what'supwiththat?!) Probably the least structured part of my God time is prayer and meditation. And, to open the kimono up just a bit more, please know that I only "do" quiet time about 5 days a week. ;)

So, since I get by with a little help from my friends (thank you John, Paul, George, and Ringo), I'd like to know what YOU do. Just curious. And thirsty.
  • Do you have a daily quiet time (even if it's "most" days)?
  • How much time do you spend reading/praying/meditating, etc?
  • How do you pray/read/structure your time with God? Or do you structure it at all?
  • Bonus question: Can you feel a difference when you don't set aside time for God?

Many Thanks!

Photobucket

5 comments:

Diana said...

THIS year I have been reading thru my Bible with the Unlocking the Bible reading plan. I don't get out of bed without doing my morning portion (Psalms, Proverbs, NT) and I read the OT portion at night before I go to sleep. I made a commitment to journal to the Lord daily this year. I write to/for others all the time, this was to use my "gift" solely for Him. I missed twice ny not getting to it til after midnight, but trying not to be legalistic about it. Lately I've noticed I've gotten a bit more habitual about it,and I don't want God to be lost in a "to do" list. The balance can be elusive, but worth pursuit. My journal writing is primarily me talking to God about my stuff, not a naturally inclined intercessor, I'm trying to pray for others all along the way. I pray with my kids in the car on the way to school and at bedtime at night. Trying to be more thoughtful in that too, not so much just "bless us please" but sometimes it becomes a check mark too. I think about the Lord constantly and chat AT Him all the time, but working on being mindful OF His presence more. It is a process, but yes I absolutely do life better when I find that place of abiding.

Diana said...

Oh yeah, and I have a devotional I read every night too.

Sarah Park said...

I read my Bible (or do my Bible study if I'm in one) while I eat my breakfast. I read AT LEAST one chapter a day and meditate on what I read. I usually read a different version every time through... The first several times I did this I skipped Leviticus... I think I've only actually read through Psalms once since I get bogged down in it (spent a LOT of time in Psalms as a teenager). I mostly pray like you said that you do throughout the day - which is why I pray with others as much as I am able - causes me to spend MORE time in prayer. Wish I was better at spending real time in prayer... Right now with my devotions I'm keeping a notebook and writing down things I don't understand... Its hard to find someone who knows the answer though... I keep stumping Jeff : (

Sarah Park

Gretchen said...

Diana, I actually do put God on my to-do list, b/c if I don't, I won't. BUT, I know he's bigger than my brain and understands that I'm priortizing him visually for myself. Agree, need to be more open and thoughtful w/my prayers (e.g. not acting like He's Santa, and I need to just praise, praise, praise more often than I do for just His being Him. Thank you so much for sharing.

Sarah, know what you mean about spending time w/others to pray with them. Something about corporate (or at least small group) prayer is so unifying. I so need to be consistent w/a journal. I think that's the chief thing I am missing. And I realize there's no perfect way to do this. But I think a journal is so good in showing what we've asked for and how he's answered.

Andrea Frazer said...

I do not have a set quiet time for Bible Reading but have been praying each night before I go to bed.

I DO feel a difference when I am more systematic about praying and reading my Bible. Time to go back to that again. Good reminder!