Hello. My name is Gretchen, and I'm a discipline avoider.
It's that simple, really.
And these past 2 weeks or so have been full of discipline opportunities. I will not pretend that I have a life so difficult or uncommon. That's not the case. The deal is, the past two weeks of treading water just to get everything done have given me a renewed perspective regarding seasons of life, how I need to spend my time, and, well...discipline.
So, why haven't I been blogging? Gladdy you asked. I haven't been blogging because I've been busy. Not monumentally so. Just, juggling. Going from this volleyball game to that. Dragging my soon-to-be-pumped-up buttocks to the gym (and those of my son, as well--I hope that didn't sound tawdry). Taking care of Big as he recovered from a nasty, but-we-think-it-will-be-great-in-the-long-run surgery. Getting little sleep. Helping with homework. Meal planning. Bible study. Play rehearsal. Laundry. And really, after doing all that, I haven't had much to say. Nothing new, nothing edifying for anyone to read (hello, that was pretty indulgent), nothing for which I wanted to sit down and give the 45 minutes to an hour to process and type.
I'm glad for times like these--sort of thinky times--where i don't blog, but am fed by others' blogs. I'm also glad for times when I don't read anyone's blog and allow the silence to envelope me, such that I give Him space to speak into my life. I'm glad that I felt like writing something today. And though I am a consumate discipline avoider, I'm thankful for His new mercies each day such that I can repent of slacking, and focus on Him and His plans for me. Moment by moment. Whether sweating on the elliptical or making dinner for "those people". ;)
This is my life. This is my season. And I consider it joy.
8 comments:
Hello. It's your Wonder Twin. The undisciplined one. My lack of discipline is one of my biggest struggles. What's unfortunate is that this is one of those struggles that is almost impossible to hide. It shows up in what I say to my kids (when I haven't been disciplined enough to talk to God before I talk to anyone else), in my messy house (when I haven't been disciplined enough to clean it) and in my muffin top (when I'm not disciplined enough to PUT DOWN THAT OREO!)
I keep waiting to be a grown up that will hold my own feet to the fire. I think I'm figuring out that I won't be a grown up until I start holding my own feet to the fire. Accountability DOES help so I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who struggles with this. We can gently push each other in the right direction.
P.S. I miss what you have to say here but am glad and understand that you have a life outside this blog.
Never apologize for doing what comes first...taking care of you and yours. Although I missed you!
When you find the key to being disciplined, let me know.
Hello. My name is Omom (not my real name)and I'm a discipline avoider. There is so much going on in my head most of the time but I can't find the discipline needed to let it out.
And if you just want to write; fed kids, went to bed...
we'll understand!
Sounds like we're in a similar spot these days.
If I promise to share the time management mojo when I find it, will you give me a piece of that discipline mojo?? :)
I'm SO behind on reading blogs, but I'm so glad that people understand that my priorities are to God first, then family, and so on and so forth.
I'm so blessed to know you and can't wait when we can have a "living room" visit instead of just a "coffee shop" one.
Ditto.
Seriously, every.single.night. I lay in bed thinking "I could've been so much more disciplined today"...and think "tomorrow's THE day" and at night: second verse, same as the first, a little bit louder and a whole lot worse...
So, I totally get.
Praying for us. :)
My name is Sue and *I* am totally undisciplined.
There. I said it! And you shoudl never apologize for taking care of your family first and YOU! We will always be here when you DO blog!
Time has just gotten away from me all of the time anymore. Whew. I am old and addled but still trying to keep up with an active 11 year old!! Pray for me! *grin*
You are amazing sweet Gretchen.
Amd I love ya whether you post or not or whether *I* post or not...we will both get to it all eventually.
Till then, I will be thinking about you!
Love,
Sue
What Whimzie said.
I go through seasons of discipline and undiscipline. Life's so much better when I'm walking the path of great resistance.
I love you, thanks for being you.
Post a Comment