- pumpkin carving
- watching TV shows together in our big blue bed (yes, at 11 and 13, we still call it this)
- listening to stories as mom reads aloud
- listening as a disappointed 11 year old girl pours out her heart about the trials of middle school
- listening to an elated 11 year old girl's stories of faith and fun as we drive home from camp
- listening (in the van, again) and discussing bass line rhythms in music with my teenage son
- watching my husband speak ever so gently to my kids when I can't seem to find my nice words
- praying over each kid as they head out of the van and into school--that they be salt and light and Jesus in skin. That they be safe and bless others and what He would have them learn
- eating our Friday night pizza together (and anything else--especially brownies, cookies, donuts, etc).
- going to the gym and working out with my son--who does his best, even though it's hard to make his body go exactly how and where he wants it to go.
- appreciating my daughter's most excellent effort at math--a subject that really should not be included in heaven. Just sayin.
- wondering...just where in the world all the time has gone.
And I'm finding...even those hard times. The correcting and rebuking and dealing with eye-rolling times? They go fast, too. Note to self: Praise loudly, and blame softly.
14 comments:
So, so true. Seems like just yesterday mine were starting high school and now . . . the last one is a senior.
Now I know why women are looking forward to grandbabies. . . they know now to take their time and just enjoy the moment.
Not that I want one anytime soon! I'm just sayin' I get it. Haha
Oh how I love your Mama heart...you inspire me to take every moment in now and be prepared and excited for what's to come...
Those "babies" are blessed to have you!
Someone asked me just the other day (because of my birthday) if I minded getting older. I could honestly say "no." What bothers me is that my children are getting older. Now that is something I cry about.
I have a 15 year old and she still calls it "The Big Bed". :)
I love that first picture up at the top. It's so achingly sweet.
Now I'm all misty.
Because my oldest is just 9...and it has already flown by.
I used to roll my eyes at people that would tell me to soak up every minute of the diaper-changing, throwdown temper tantrum, and up at all hours of the night season of my life.
What I wouldn't give to have just a taste of those days back. It does go by just way too fast.
Beautiful. I love the "praise loudly, rebuke softly." I get those switched around sometimes.
Amen, very true.
"Praise loudly, blame softly."
I love that.
Oh,don't I know how fast it goes. My son still walks into class kissing me up and down my arm. I'm going to take it while I can.
Loved this post (sniff, sniff), and those adorable little tow-heads. I always wanted little blondies, but alas...the gene pool was bent too heavily in favor of brunettes.
Good news! There is NOT going to be math in heaven...the Bible says "He will wipe every tear from our eyes"...
Man, this is true!
And I cannot get over how little the kids look! It funny how holidays, even this weird one called Halloween is so nostalgic....passages of time to mark and remember....you and I are really kindred spirits.
Man alive do I love glimpses into your heart - 'praise loudly, blame softly' - that's great stuff. Just sayin'
thank you that you use your gift for encouragement so generously.
feeling especially uplift-y at the moment.
Post a Comment