Sunday, April 29, 2012

Sunday Sumthin': God Sighting

I realize that if you are not a Christian, and you read my blog (thank you, BTW), you may think that I'm a bit Jesus-freakish, when it comes to seeing God in everyday life.  Even my little signature line of "Soli Deo Gloria" (to God alone be the glory) might seem a little extreme, or kool-aid drinking-ish. In this little corner of the blogosphere, I tend to share that which I'm creatively led to share, which often includes those things in my heart that I'm too vulnerable to talk about "in person".  Unfortunately, I'm often too afraid to share the nuts and bolts of my faith, face to face.  It's much easier to hide behind a computer screen, rather than to pick up a phone, look someone in the eye, or say something in public.  I don't risk seeing an eye-roll, hearing a polite-but-irritated sigh, or being ostracized by members of my community.  How this computes with "Take up your cross and follow Me," I'm not sure.  Oh, right.  It doesn't.  I'm risking next to nothing for the unsaved.

The thing is, if I call myself a Christian, I'm commanded to share His Good News, no matter what my personal risk.  As the Apostle Paul says, to die is to live in Christ Jesus.  In Galatians 5:22, Paul also tells us that the fruit of God's Spirit, which indwells every believer in Jesus, includes:  love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control.   Loving others as myself means that I will risk my earthly life for their eternal lives. 

I'm not good at this risky business.  But I'm taking baby steps, and yesterday, I saw God's faithfulness repay me ten-fold for my trust in Him.  Since you already know that I'm a sharer, you're about to read my little testimony.

I've finally had it with my clothes getting to small for me, and really, really, REALLY want to be an example of health and self control for my kids, so I signed up for Weight Watchers.  My first meeting was last Saturday.  I had just gotten to the point where I needed some accountability, and some face-to-face risk, saying, "My name is Gretchen and I'm fat, I'm fat, jam on! I'm a foodaholic.  I too often bow to the idol of chocolate or cheese I'm filling a God sized (pie)hole with food. 

During the meeting, we were asked what we did to encourage ourselves on bad days.  It's often so much easier to cheer a friend or be gentle with another, when we really have no reason not to be that kind and understanding with ourselves.  Our simple exercise was this:  We had to write a note of encouragement "To My Friend".  Our notes would then be collected and passed out in random order to each of us, as encouragement throughout the week.  Our leader instructed us to use a favorite phrase, word, picture, or verse.  I'd been meditating on Lamentations 3:22-24,
Because of the Lord’s great love(A) we are not consumed,(for his compassions never fail.(C)23 They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.(D)
and I wanted so badly to write it down for another because it comforts and directs me so.  But I was afraid.  It was my first meeting, and despite wanting to live out loud for Jesus, I'm all to aware of the black eye we Christians have in mainstream culture. 

But I did it anyway.  I wrote it out.  And handed it in.

Here's what I received back:  "This is the day that the Lord has made.  Let us rejoice and be glad. (Psalm 118:24)

Thank you, Jesus, for meeting this pilgrim right where she is.  I'm never alone when I abide in You. You bless me, so. 

Photobucket

4 comments:

Sandy said...

That is just awesome! And how like our glorious God to encourage you, two ways in one!

Gretchen said...

Thanks for stopping by, Sandy. Yes, it was very cool. He's so big, and my thoughts are often so very small.

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA!!! I love the way God works. Thank you for sharing and making me smile. Again. :)

Gretchen said...

Isn't it so funny how he works?! Love His sense of humor--usually. ;)