Tuesday, April 24, 2012

GladiTuesday - Help Wanted

Man, am I glad that my joy is not dependent upon my circumstances!  I have a great life, but starting last week, and into yesterday, the arrows have been slung, flung, or whatever an arrow does, in the direction of my heart and mind.  I woke up today with a weary spirit--total spiritual warfare, by the way--so I knew I needed to refocus.  As you all know my best refocusing tool is giving God glory for his blessings in the form of Gladitudes.  So...off I prattle.  But stay awake, because your participation is requested.

  1. So glad upon glad that my daughter set her own personal best record (and bested the school record that she set in 6th grade) in flinging the discus, yesterday, at her first track meet of the year.  She would not describe herself as a major athlete, but she does love to participate in sports, and she loves the opportunity of her school's no-cut teams, so that she can try everything and find her niche.  Watching her confidence and teamwork grow as she does something healthy for mind and body is so gladdifying to me.
  2. Glad for huge growth in my son's coping skills.  This kid has had to deal with challenge and loss on many fronts in his short life, and he had some news last Friday, which could have really derailed him, and precipitated a downward spiral into anxiety and depression.  So thankful for God's mercy and grace upon him.  He's handling the significant changes to his school days with elegant maturity.
  3. Glad for my husband's steadying head and hand of leadership upon this family.  Sometimes I feel silly running things by him--after all, like Stuart Smiley, I'm good enough, smart enough, and darn it, people like me.  However, every time I lean on him in humility and submission, God blesses it.  Every.time.
  4. I've tried to avoid being a weather talker, but I can't.  I'm so stinkin' glad about the last few days of 60s and 70s weather, that I don't even mind our marine layer, this morning.  Thank you, God, for blessing me with the warm, but not too hot, glorious, amazing sun.  What a mood lifter.
  5. Glad for a taste of heaven in a lovely 24 hour retreat with some of the most incredible women I know.  Also glad upon glad for the living, breathing, encouraging word of God.  God put it into my head to ask these women to mark their favorite Scripture/s in my Bible.  They did, and then we all shared those Scriptures together, and spoke about their specific meaning in our lives. After that, we all prayed for each other, and gave thanks to our marvelous God.  It was one of the best church services I've ever attended. 
Here's where you come in.  Please comment, and tell me a verse which makes you glad.  Your life verse, a verse that has gotten you through the worst of days, a verse which confirms your faith.  Whatever.  Just listing the Scripture verse is fine, but if you want to give any more tidbits re: why you chose it, I'd lurve that.

Here are 3 of mine: 

Philippians 4:8 (NLT)  "And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing.  Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable.  Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. " 

1 Peter 3:1-2 (NLT) "In the same way, you wives must accept the authority of your husbands.  Then, even if some refuse to obey the Good News, your godly lives will speak to them wihout any words.  They will be won over by observing your pure and reverent lives."

Matthew 11:28-30 (NLT) Then Jesus said, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you.  Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light."

Photobucket

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

<< 2 Corinthians 4 >>
New International Version 1984

17For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

Cindy said...

Philippians 4:4
Always be full of joy in the Lord. I say it again—rejoice!

Although this may not be my favorite....it is at the end of a daily prayer that I recite which calls me to CHOOSE JOY everyday inspite of circumstances. It has buoyed me up on days that felt so heavy. I am practicing the art of rejoicing even amidst pain and disappointment. He is faithful to carry me!

Unknown said...

In this moment I have several verses that I am meditating on as I consider God's peace and mercy:

1 Peter 5:10 - In his kindness God called you to share in his eternal glory by means of Christ Jesus. So after you have suffered a little while, he will restore, support, and strengthen you, and he will place you on a firm foundation.

Proverbs 31:25 - She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come.

Platernal one, i know you will read these pondered words and worry... I'm OK! Just working out a few issues. Love you. xox

Gretchen said...

Unknown, thank you! Come back and tell me who you are, and I'll mark your name by my verse. :)

Gretchen said...

Cindy, Love you so. You are a testimony of standing in His power and grace. Choose joy, indeed. xo

Gretchen said...

Kellie, Okay, I won't worry. But I do miss you. Thank you for stopping by and giving your verse love. xo

Sing4joy said...

Psalm 150:6, "Let everything that has breath praise the Lord! Praise the Lord!"
Such a simple instruction that requires no other circumstance in life than to have breath. Not dependent on money, or health or 'blessings' - just breath. As long as you are here, on this earth, breathing, you can praise the Lord.

Gretchen said...

Thank you, Judi!