I've decided to collapse "Shh...I reading!" into "Jewels" to make things easier on all of us. That way all my posts are in one spot, and neither of us will need to hop around. :) I'll be updating my side bar with my other book reviews, asap.
House Rules rules. That's the long and the short of it. Jodi Picoult is amazing in my book--no pun intended--because she never misses with the absolute readability and can't-put-it-down storylines of her novels. I've read most all of her novels, and even if I don't agree with how she plays out a character or a thread in a story, I ALWAYS enjoy her process and marvel at the homework she does for each book to sound so expert in everything from organ transplants to Asperger's Syndrome.
This book is an incredible look at a young man, Jacob, who happens to love/be obsessed forensic science and have Asperger's Syndrome. He also happens to be a suspect in a local murder. Although mostly about Jacob, this novel is also the story of Jacob's mom (Emma) and her tireless advocacy for her son (as a single parent)--to the detriment of her social life and her ability to care for her other son, Theo. It's the story of Detective Rich Matson, who wants to believe the best in Jacob and his mother, and yet who has a child he wants to protect from the harm of a murderer in his town. It's the story of Oliver, Jacobs very green attorney, who has never seen a client like Jacob. It's about Theo, the younger-older brother who very honestly feels invisible in the midst of a life of dodging Jacob's meltdowns. In short, this novel is delicious because it's well written, well researched (in terms of Asperger's and forensics), and built upon not only Jacob, but on how his Asperger's impacts not only his family and community, but on his ability to be tried in a court of law.
Highly recommend. 5 of 5 pages.
No comments:
Post a Comment