Saturday, February 26, 2011

Not Fair

People who don't know Jesus might look at the above picture and wonder why I believe in God.  When I look at this picture, which wrecks me from the inside-out, I realize, more than ever, that I must believe. 

For those who haven't been introduced, this is Annie.  She's going to be 8 in April.  Four years ago, she suffered a hypoxic ischemic brain injury secondary to an Addisonian crisis.  Here story is here.  Due to the brain injury, subsequent chronic seizures, and Addison's, keeping her healthy--with endocrine system (which effects everything) in balance--has been tantamount to summiting Mt. Everest eleventy-million times. In four years, I'd venture to say, she's thrown up more days than not. 

Not fair. 

How could this happen to a little 3 1/2 year old princess who loved to wear pink, dance around, and talk about "Cinderellala"?

The truth is...I have no idea.  And further.  I.hate.it.  The fact that this gorgeous baby, who has parents and siblings who love God and her more than anyone else I know, sits in a hospital bed, groggy and sick absolutely wrecks me.  And if I hadn't any faith in God, it would put me over the edge.  I'd hate Him, for sure.  And truly, I can see how those without faith would turn away in disgust, wondering how such an injustice could occur. 

God is unfair.  Thank You, Jesus. 

This same God who allows this suffering did not choose to create a sin-filled world.  He weeps at it.  And, in an instant, He who created it, could have wiped it and us out.  Instead, He mercifully gave His own Son to reclaim it. I am a parent. I cannot imagine allowing either of my children who are imperfect (except through grace) to be flogged, spat upon, and hung from a tree.  But He did We ruined the world we were given, and though we still get the world as our home until He comes to get us, we need not be OF this world of sin.  We are made perfect--through faith--because He gave the Perfect One for us.  Not fair. 

This unfair God healed Annie's dad completely. Read here.

This unfair God placed this little girl in a family of 6 incredible siblings and an amazing mom and dad.  A family who knows that He who made us created great works for us to do, and will not take us home until those works are complete.  They know that nothing is impossible with God.  They know that nothing can separate us from His love.  They know that He is our fortress and strength.  They know that He will never leave us, nor forsake us.  And they know that this is temporary, that whether on earth or in heaven, God WILL heal Annie.  Hallelujah!

Will I choose to put one foot in front of the other and believe and praise Him, even though it's all but impossible to do?  Yep.  I must.  Because I know this, too. 

If you're a believer, I ask that you pray for Annie and her family.


God, glorify Yourself in this, I pray!  In Jesus' name.  Amen. 


Photobucket

6 comments:

Unknown said...

So much power in the words you have spoken over this little one and her family. Praying God's perfect mercy and grace for everyone.

Susie Q said...

Such a beautiful post Gretchen...and words that I needed to read, to hear this morning. praying for them all and thanking God for this sweet girl.
Love,
Sue

Carpool Queen said...

Sweet friend - I see your heart all through these words and it is big and fierce.

I will pray for Annie.

Mels Place in Big Bear said...

Hi -

That was a great explanation of believing in God. I wam sending this link to someone close to me.

I am so glad you are blogging again!

Hugs - Andrea

Mels Place in Big Bear said...

Okay, crap. I'm sorry about my weird ad for my cabin. Not intentional. That's a local thing only. I don't know why I can't leave my normal blog name. Trying again. SORRY! Trying this again.

Sandy said...

Girl, why didn't you TELL me you were back in blog world?!!! I've missed you here (though love keeping up on FB).

This is heartbreaking, yet you've really hit on the most important thing: God's great grace & mercy. Thank you for sharing this.