Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Backpacking Through Joshua: Week 5



So...we pick up our journey in Joshua, chapter 5, or as I like to call it, "This Won't Hurt a Bit." I'm sorry, but can you even fathom the number of guys with sore pee-pees?  And no Neosporine.

But I digress.

Ahem. 

I know guys are supposed to be the visual ones, but this is leaving a mark on my brain, fo sho.

Okay...questions to put out there:
  • Have you ever met someone that you could tell was a Christian by first impression? Do you think you are easily recognizable as a Christian? Why or why not?
  • Modern Christianity tends to value ‘blending in’ more than standing out– agree or disagree? Why or why not?
There is a gentleman at my daughter's school who I have always felt was a Believer.  In nosing, probing,  asking around, I have found that he is, indeed a Christian.  Gentle man is the apt description for him.  He's kind, and as Kim mentioned in her post about Angela, he too has a "sparkle" in his eye.  It's as if he's backlit by the Holy Spirit.  And I feel so blessed to be able to send her to school with that protection, if you will, from the enemy.  I know he is bound by the school to handle things the way the school would handle them, with a mighty liberal view, but he's also bound by a higher calling.  If she had a problem with someone at school, I know without hesitation my daughter could, and likely would go to him for counsel.

Do I think I'm easily recognizable as a Christian?  Next question, please.  Ugh.  I will say I hope that I am recognizable as a follower of Jesus, rather than the almost bastardized version of the word "Christian" that we see depicted in the media of the world today.  My hope is that folks see someone who worships whole-heartedly, realizes she's broken, forgiven, and loved, despite being no better or worse than anyone else.  I hope I appear open and encouraging.  I hope I appear authentic and hopeful, and by His grace (only), merciful and gracious.  I know I have too many opinions (which I share freely), and make the same mistakes over and over.  But here's the bottom line:  I know God loves me.  Abundantly and with abandon.  I know He is glorified when I love Him abundantly and with abandon.  I hope people in my life see evidence of this in the way I worship, the way I love, and in the way I live.   And to make sure they do...I have to love on my Husband daily.  In prayer/worship/reading His Word.  In attitude.  In behavior.  For, when I lose that lovin' feeling with God...I'm afraid I lose it with others.  He is my portion, poured out so that I would reflect Him to Himself and others.

I actually disagree that Modern Christianity values blending in over standing out.  I'm having a tough time with the semantics of "Modern Christianity" as a cultural religion versus a statement of faith.  So I'm going with it as a statement of faith.  We know that we will stand out--sometimes painfully so--if we are to be true ambassadors of Christ.  We won't value the things of this world because we know there is so much more in the next.  We'll be making decisions re: career, family, and friends which come from a godly perspective, rather than a worldly perspective.  I think if we are blending in too much, we must ask ourselves whether/why we're too comfortable, and whether we're truly prepared to lay down our lives for our Maker.  It doesn't have to be a big, sweeping behavior which shows our faith in Jesus. But I believe we will eventually stand out.  For me, it's a series of little decisions and little peaks and valleys:  I pray for my kids as I drop them off for school.  I read my Bible.  I talk to my daughter about how much God loves her and that His plan is to provide her with the best husband for her to gift herself to.  And that she's worth the decision to wait to have sex until marriage.  I forget to read my Bible.  I ask for forgiveness.  I snark/snipe at my son.  And ask for his and His forgiveness.  I buy one less latte and give that amount of change to my daughter's Children of the Nations fund.  I cuss.  I cut someone off in traffic.  I ask for forgiveness. I worship.  I pray.  I plug away, trying to remember to do so in His strength.  Not in mine.  I fail.  But He saves. 

Photobucket

8 comments:

Unknown said...

This post is making me weepy. I think it's because I miss you so dreadfully right now and wish I could just hug your neck!

You DO stand out, Dearest. You really do. Are you perfect? You say you're not so I'll believe you :-). But you ARE honest and transparent and that's not "of this world".

I truly do adore you and am so glad to call you my friend. If only I could call you my friend that I just met for a quick (or not so quick) cup of coffee. *sigh*

Lauren said...

great post. i totally agree that when i lose that lovin' feeling with God ...i too tend to lose it with others. it makes such a difference for me when i am washed in his word daily (sometimes i need it several times a day). :)

Unknown said...

Love you girl. And I agree with Jen, you DO stand out as a follower of Christ. And you do it authentically, which is why you are so attractive!

And...on a lighter note. I'm so glad you opened your post with some levity...(giggle)

Dana said...

The first part absolutely cracked me up! Of course, a lot of your writings are so funny--which is why I look forward to them :)! This was a great post.

CyndiAnne said...

I had to come read.. I almost Laughed out loud.. "Neosporin indeed"... My grand was asleep or I might have.. But I loved it and agree... I wish I had said all this.. HUGS
Cyndi Anne

His Girl said...

this is a most beautiful post, my friend. I love that you exude that grace and peace in a way that nobody I know can do in quite that same manner.

my favorite part? It doesn't have to be a big, sweeping behavior which shows our faith in Jesus. But I believe we will eventually stand out. For me, it's a series of little decisions and little peaks and valleys

Lisa Smith said...

It's as if he's backlit by the Holy Spirit... I want someone to see that in me. Lord, I need You.

I also need the grace you so eloquently write of when describing yourself, I mean us.

This makes me lurve you so much more. And I didn't think that was possible.

Crazy for you!!! xoxo

Anonymous said...

Like Lisa, I loved the "backlit by the Holy Spirit" line. I think I may have even given a Southern Gospel holy MMmm! when I read that line. Followed by the heartfelt cry, 'Oh let it be true of me, God.'

And I was totally thinking the same thing when I read the second question. I make a distinction between the "culture of Christianity" as a religious label and those who are earnest Christ-seekers. Not that the two groups are mutually exclusive or that I don't find myself more in one group than the others depending on the day or my mood.

I see Jesus in you, friend. Shining out through your very pores. Thank you for being His light stand so the world can see His light.