Pull up a latte. This one's long, but I couldn't figure out how to edit, since I'm wordy and all, so...
I don't know if you've ever caught the fact that I'm in a bit of a bewildering, befuddling hormonal whirlwind with my children. I often wonder exactly where I am and whether or not we're still in Seattle, Toto. Even when I click my Emerald City slippers, I still don't exactly feel I've arrived home with this whole mothering of pubescent children thang. And yet...even in my angstiest times (like that word, angstiest?)...I realize that each day is a gift, and that God not only loves me through these class V rapids, but loves my children (His children) through them, too. Man, my metaphors are ON FIAH!
Hello, Gretchen...the point? Okay. Those who are least equipped to give parenting advice should cowgirl up and give it, no? Let's call it sharing, instead of advice. I may have been raised as an only child, but I am an expert at sharing (my opinion).
Instead of leading my children through my own mad skilz and expertise, which sounds like nothing but n.a.g.g.i.n.g. to them...Charlie Brown phone call, anyone? I can lead them to seek God's teaching. God's point of view. God's words. And, God's truth, as delivered by the Holy Spirit.
One day, I was swinging at the end of my rope, and asked my friend Jean, who has been a mom warrior for 27 years, how she disciplined her children (especially) when it came to the sass factor. She told me that she let her kids know that because they had the Holy Spirit indwelling them, that they HAD A CHOICE in their behavior, and when they were with her, they needed to choose to be respectful.
Lightbulb.
She also said that she used the Bible--God's Words, not hers--when disciplining her kids. As they were old enough, she'd send them off to their room with an assigned passage. Shed' tell them to be quiet before God, and then talk to them about it later. She's a rock star, that Jean. And, I apologize if this is common sense and common practice to my cradle Christian friends. You might even be saying, "duh!", but it was a lightbulb moment for me. You see, I've taken my children to church. I've prayed with and for them. I've even pulled out the spare verse or 2 when talking with or (ahem) yelling at them. But I've been parenting in my own strength and wisdom too much of the time.
Well, after one particularly snarky day with my Jesus-loving self and children, I decided to try the old "seek God" technique. Well, I'll tell you...I was afraid they'd refuse/laugh/scorn me when I tried this new disciplinary trick. But, God was/is/will be faithful. Each time I've used this "technique", it has diffused any anger, and has drawn my kids and me together and toward God. I'm not (too) naive--I realize one day, I'll hit defiance in this area as in others, but the greatest thing about it is that I have immediate back up. They are both sold out to Jesus, so it doesn't matter if they're sold out to me. Jesus isn't a nag. He's the Great I Am. I've also realized this is a commitment for me--a very significant butt-kicker in terms of my own preparedness. I can't just say, "Go read your Bible!", I have to have a planned verse. So, that means...I have to be reading MY OWN Bible. See? Training me up...
10 comments:
I've used scripture when instructing, but have gotten away from it. Great reminder to incorporate God's words into my discipline!!
gretchen, I needed to hear this. you see, I have not been walking my talk. For years I have let anger and frustration rule me. And my kids......God has convicted me of it and through HIM, I am trying to rectify this situation. It is going to be hard to convince my children that God has forgiven me of these awful behaviors and that according to HIS word, they are to forgive me also. But I just wanted to let you know I need to hear this post. Thanks.
Ohh I feel like crying, shouting Amen sista, and showing you my own huge light bulb......
I wish so badly to be able to say that; why yes this is common practice at my house, but sadly it is not. Why? I have no idea. I guess I'm just slow to learn sometimes. I often TELL the verse to my girls or tell them what I think God thinks of what they think, but as you can see from that sentence right there, that isn't always/never effective.
Someone once told me that reading the Bible was like putting a mirror up to your heart. (love that) so when my kids are being snooty and disrespectful wouldn't a mirror to their heart be the perfect answer.
Thank you for this. Huge!
Awesome sis.
You go, Girl! He will be faithful to direct you & to provide the verses you need just when you need them! Great lightbulb experience!
SSSSsssss...on fiah is right! Good words, these.
I like angstiest.
Our sass factor has been a little high this summer too... I've tried lots of stuff but I think I will try assignments. I like that. Because we know, if we quiet our souls, hearts, minds before the Lord, we can know His voice. Training them to be still.
I'll let ya know tomorrow =)
lurve you too, sistah!!
I love this. I need to do just this with my kids. There is no argument against God's own word, is there?! *love it*!
I needed this today.
Yesterday my 13 year old and I got INTO it. It was ugly and ended with me yelling at him and popping him with a dishtowel and him texting his dad that I was an idiot. Good times.
I went in his room to calmly talk to him. I was angry at the way he reacted to some stuff I asked him to do. And realized that I did the exact same thing. I REACTED.
We both apologized, extended peace and moved on, but I feel like I missed the bigger "heart" piece in all of it. So yeah, there are some definite "takeaways" for me in your post...ones I need to remember in the moment!
I still haven't given you the name of that book with the topics and the references, have I? First, I must find said book.
Post a Comment