Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Sign, Sign, Everywhere a Sign...

Oh my goodness--two posts in one week!  What's up with that?  Well, I love this blog, yet have never really found a habit or theme or significantly large following for my posts; so I decided, about a year ago, to write only when I felt a prompting by the Holy Spirit.  Ergo, there's seemingly no rhyme nor reason to my blogging, and I've grown to be just fine with that.  Seems the Holy Spirit is pretty busy with me this week. :)

I don't know if this is the case where you reside, but near me?  Seems all I've seen whilst driving, lately are pictures like these:




Caution.  Slow down.  Be prepared to stop.

These signs seem to be on every street corner within a 20 mile radius of my house.  Grr!  Do they bother you as much as they do me?

I wish I could say that I don't mind these signs--that I welcome the interruption and/or delay in my
very important day. But honestly? They piss me off frustrate me and make me feel impatient, stressed, and just not very sweet.  Hard to believe, eh?  ;)  Folks, I have places to be and things to do.

H.o.w.e.v.e.r...

Our sweet Father, ever so patient with his rebellious, selfish daughter, spoke to my heart about these signs in a way that only He could speak.

Caution:  Daughter, your mouth (and your keystrokes) often move faster than your brain.  Words can pierce. My children are to be slow to speak, slow to get angry (or use sarcasm) and quick to listen.  Make me known by your love for your family, your neighbors, your community, your church, and even those who drive you crazy--you know, like those road workers with their flags...

Slow down:  Daughter, just because you think life should unfold in a certain way and in a particular order  (ahem-- like your adoption) doesn't mean that I've ordained them as such.  Let me be God.  Slow down.  Walk/drive/live in peace and in the confidence that I AM and I know what I'm doing.

Be Prepared to Stop:  Sometimes, Daughter, there will be detours and times where you think I've left you behind and/or stopped caring about your best interest.  Trust me.  I may stop you on a dime.  I may stop you for a little while, or for what seems like forever to you.  Trust.Me.  Breathe.  Give thanks, and seek my face.


Okay, Father.  I think I get it.  Thank you for this gentle conviction upon my heart.  Thank you for Your grace and for loving me even when I'm not being lovable.  I ask your forgiveness for the cruddy behavior from a heart not fully surrendered. Help me to love like You love.  In Jesus' name.  Amen.

What about you?  Any signs from God that you wish to share?
Photobucket







6 comments:

Cindy said...

I love reading your posts and your little bits of Holy Spirit wisdom that remind all of us to slow down, to rest (in Him). Thank you for always sharing your heart!

Gretchen said...

I know you saw a stop sign thatvyounwerent expecting, about a year ago, my friend. Amazing how God has used this detour to work in so many new ways in your life. Mike would be so proud. Xo

Audra Krell said...

Love that the Holy Spirit is prompting you because we get the reward of your great writing and inspiration. One thing that I have always loved about you is that you're a life-long learner. You think about things, listen to what God is saying and then you share. That's accountability and grace my friend, keep walking the good walk!

Gretchen said...

Your encouragement is priceless. As you well know, writing is how we breathe life into the lessons God reveals to us. Nice when it blesses others. Of course that is always my hope.Thank you for your sweet words. Xo

Anonymous said...

Every visit here is such a treasure. Seriously. Every.single.one.

xoxoxo

Gretchen said...

Thank you, Jen. So appreciate all your visits--in my computer & in person. Xo