Monday, September 24, 2012

But Reading The Bible is Boring...

No it isn't.  But I see where you're coming from.  It's different.  An acquired taste, maybe.  But not boring.  There's more action, intrigue, sex and how-tos in the Bible than in any other book I've read.  So many genres, so little time.  And...the best part?  Hope everlasting.  Wouldn't you agree that a little hope is vastly needed right about now?

But it's so old and not relevant.

Yes.  Old.  Yes. Relevant.

But I don't have time.

Yes you do.  Alas, I watch too much TV--anyone else? 

I go to church, so I'll get what I need, there.

Going to church for an hour to an hour and a 1/2 a week is great.  But it's not enough.  Life is a marathon.  You're gonna get tired and thirsty before Sunday morning.  

Today holds a special place in my heart.  Why?  Well, by the grace of God, I just finished a chronological read through of the Bible (in a year).  As I may have mentioned before, I've done two prior read-throughs, and am glad I did those (non-chronological plans) before doing this one.  Taking small bits of Scripture to read and chew on from both the Old and New Testaments is a great way to remain engaged in the process of reading through one's Bible, especially if the task feels daunting (and let's be serious--boring). However, I'm so glad I did a chronological reading, and recommend this to others, as well.  Especially if you're not a "history type".


Reading through the Bible in a chronological fashion really helped to put the pieces of God's story together for me.  The repetition of the books written at near concurrent times fleshed out the cultural events and perspective of the day more clearly for me, than reading in other ways.  Before I go further, I do recommend a study Bible or a fabulous concordance/Bible dictionary.  I also recommend a translation which is easy for you to understand. You won't read something which is too difficult to slog through, day in and day out. The translation which I've used for the last several years has been the NLT.  Although, it's not a paraphrase, it's a happy medium between the NIV (a translation) and The Message (a paraphrase).  Very readable.  Personally, I would recommend the NIV or NLT as great places to start, but everyone has his/her own favorites.  Back to the study portion of my Bible.  Honestly, the notes have been invaluable in helping me figuring out some of the cultural/ideological standards of the day, which, as a non-historian, I had difficulty understanding on my own. They also highlight certain people of the Bible, and note why these folks are important, deserving more than a cursory glance.


Here's a secret:  I'm not a historian. Cue music, "Don't know much about history..." But as a daughter of the Most High King, I believe it incumbent upon me to learn as much as I can about the Jesus, whom I say I follow, and why I've given my life to Him.  Not only do I want to be sure of my faith for myself, but in making disciples (which is Christianese for sharing my faith), it's key to know at least a bit of why it matters to be a Christian.  I believe reading His word is the best way to do this.  Why?  Well, when an event of epic proportion occurs what do we do?  Generally, we ask witnesses what happened.  We read accounts of the day and look to as many news sources as possible.  Well, Christ's coming was over 2,000 years ago.  There are no living witnesses (except those in Heaven), so the Bible is the best witness account we have.  Moreover, I know many of us would love to HEAR the word of God.  The Bible is His inspired, infallible word.  Reading it is akin to hearing His voice.

Perhaps another reason why I'm passionate about reading one's Bible is this:  The culture in which we live is so anti-Bible.  God's word is bandied about left and right by folks who want to win an argument, or gain political sway.  Its meaning has become bastardized and disrespected in so many ways. Whether you choose to read the bible in a year or in ten years doesn't matter.  Whether you use this tool or that translation, doesn't matter.  But if you're a follower of Jesus, I exhort you to give at least a tenth of the time you spend reading for pleasure to reading your Bible.  We will be known by our obedience to Him and our love for each other.  Wouldn't it be great to put a new sign into the ground of our culture.  A sign that says, "Here."  Here, I will read His word, using the tools I need to make the words clear for my understanding.  Here, I'll pray for His grace and wisdom in gleaning the meaning from the pages.  Here, I will revere and delight in His love letter to me, His precious daughter/son, so that I may show His love to others.  Here am I.  Send me.

Who's in?



Photobucket

6 comments:

His Girl said...

me! me! me!

you, my friend, are such a great cheerleader! way to use your gifts!

Audra Krell said...

First, I applaud you. What a wonderful, faithful act of obedience to read it for the 3rd time! Second, this is so inspiring. I'm always looking to drive a new stake into the hard ground of our culture, thank you for the idea!

Gretchen said...

Thank you, my mentor-encourager-sister-friend. I'll keep cheering, you keep teaching. Xo

Gretchen said...

We'll drive the stake in, together, Audra. Can't believe a wretch, like me, has been given this life. So grateful. And every time I see your posts & comments, I am so grateful that a very patient Father connected us so long ago.

Audra Krell said...

Amen Gretchen. In his beautiful wisdom, he brought us together. Love the way He paves the road before us.

Anonymous said...

<3<3<3<3

I recently started a chronological read through the bible and am loving it! I've decided to take my time with it because I end up spending too much time looking up all the references - and WOW!

Thank you for your humility and transparency. It makes you, um, I dunno... a magnificant example!