Monday, September 10, 2012

Extravagant Love

Happy September, All.  I know...we're 1/3 finished with the month; but it's the thought, right?  Not necessarily.  Sometimes, it's the deed.  And I'm about to share a deed which is nothing less than an extravagant hug from the Father.

Let me explain.

This last week has been the best of times and the not-tragic-but-somewhat-suckish.  I won't say, "worst" because, though I'm wont to be a drama queen (shocker), I'm a truthful queen, first and foremost.  Worst doesn't enter the picture. Thank God.

Snapshot:

  • Have a bump/owie on my foot which is driving me crazy.  Xray was negatory, so I took my radioactive little self to nuclear medicine on Friday for a bone scan.  We shall see.  They're ruling out a stress fracture.  What can I say?  The body decays.  Have no idea why this hurts. It just does.  And while I can do what I need to do, it's sort of just...a pain in the foot.  Ya know?
  • Got the results from my son's cognitive and neuropsych testing.  We did this battery to mostly say all the right things colleges need to hear for him to receive the multitude of modifications he'll require.  Testing is good.  The boy was a champ.  Praise God that he can go to college some day.  But looking at one's son as a picture of diagnoses and recommendations hurts. Seeing the boy's   shoulders slump and his head bow down as the psychologist explains all of his needs, while trying to focus on the fact that "you're really, really smart, though!", hurts.  He's perfect just the way he is.  However, our culture/working society is that in which he must fit, and without help, he doesn't.  I know this. I'm a speech therapist.  I've done many a report and counseled many a family, myself.  It's different, though, when it's MY family. 
  • The husband has been ill.  Nothing major.  Just a nasty, quick-hitting virus, which had him majorly uncomfortable for a couple of days, and only able to ingest a BRAT diet, if ya know what I mean. Just as he's getting better (again, thank God), he needs to leave for the week.  And, I'm just gonna miss him.
See?  Nothing horrid.  Nothing life shattering.  But the God who loves me so much, gave me rest, encouragement, and yes, major a little swag in the form of an extravagant gift from a dear friend.

My friend, L. has great taste and loves to sparkle--two qualities I highly admire.  She had this beautiful bag with her a week or so ago at church, and I may have coveted it or something.  Pray for me.  But I think I told her how much I loved it.  

Yesterday, she said, "Here's my friend Gretchen's new bag, because she loved it.". 

What?  Can you say, "OVERWHELMED"?

L. and I don't see each other often enough because of our differing schedules--she, a full time career girl, empty-nester, and I...not. :) Yet, we are connected through our love of music and singing praise songs, our love of jewelry and all things pretty, and our love for a good glass of wine and a smackerel of something to eat.  Most importantly, though, we are connected by a God who loves us fiercely, and who used her yesterday to show me His extravagant love, once again.  Through this amazing, touching experience, I heard the following whispers:

"You're not alone.  I'm beside you, always."
"I've seen you ogling Coach bags at the outlet stores far too often, Gretchen."
"I love you, my daughter.  I've shown you in the death and resurrection of my Son, but I know little things, like feeling pretty, matter to you. I can do those, too."


Thank you, God, for L.  And thank you God for always picking up this pitiful soul and pointing it to you, making me worthy and holy and calling me "daughter".  Love you.

Anyone else receive an extravagant gift of love, lately?  I would love to hear about it.

Photobucket




2 comments:

Cathy said...

I am so thankful you got a lot o lovin'!

Gretchen said...

Thank you, Cathy! So amazing.