We are blessed enough to have some forever friends. These friends have been in our lives since our children were 1 and 3, respectively (and their girls were those ages, too). The dad and bonus mom live locally, and the children live in Santa Fe with their mom--except during two amazing times: Christmas/NewYear and & a few weeks during the summer (including the 4th of July). The winter and summer holidays are especially magical for my dtr, because her closeness with "the girls" borders on obsessive, and is a sisterhood of the heart at a minimum. The rest of us, during our traditional New Year's Eve and July 4th sleepovers, love and enjoy each other and play games and tease and feast together, but for J and "the girls" the time is too loud, too giggly, and far too short. As I write this, Big is on the way to the ferry with J, dropping our friends off--and bidding farewell to "the girls" until late December. With a lump in my throat as I waved good-bye, I mustered as much cheer in my voice as possible and said, "Remember guys, this is the shorter time...we'll be together before you know it!" Of course I wasn't convinced, so I know J wasn't, either.
She'll cry for the greater part of the afternoon. Of that, I am sure. I'll be stroking hair, cooing, and cuddling.
But...it's all good.
The pain of missing someone means that we have loved them well. And those 3 love each other well.
And I have some friends for whom I hold those same gut-wrenching feelings when we part. And, perhaps more hard to believe, I have some friends whom I've met ONLY in the blogosphere, but we've shared our hearts on the phone, via email, and really...they're such heart friends that I miss them, too when we don't have a chance to connnect.
Again, I say...it's alllll goood. Tears and yearning, melancholy and quiet. Good friends and loved ones are worth these feelings. And once again, thru my earthly relationships, I'm reminded of a Father who loves me well, who seeks me always, and who will yearn for me and prepare a place for me when it's my turn for the best MIRL of my life.
13 comments:
Girl, I'm still weepy over the day I had to board the ferry that led away from your house.
I guess what I'm sayin' is: I miss you too.
Bonus Mom. Love that.
When we moved across the state the hardest thing has been going back home to visit and then leaving again. I cry every time! But it is such a good reminder of how blessed I am to have people in my life that it hurts to leave them. And parting ways by ferry is just so dramatic......:)
what a sweet post.
what a blessing you have in all those special friendships.
Such a nice post.
That was one of your best yet. I'm sorry J will be sad. But yes, how wonderful to be so sad, for it means she has some people who she loves.
I like that.....the pain is because we have loved them well. Thanks for sharing that
You're beautiful. And so are your words. And Bonus Mom? Love it.
Friends like that are few and far between. Yes, there is sadness, but it's usually because we've loved deeply. I'm grateful for those relationships...they stretch me.
Hope everyone is a bit more cheerful today. :-)
What an awesome post! Isn't it great that God gives us a glimpse of His love through the love He gives us for others & they for us?
How sweet that this early in life & for so long your DD has such "tight" friends!
this post was so beautifully written. Felt like a big ol' chai tea and a comfy blanket.
you really have a gift, amiga.
I love how you called her the "bonus mom."
Great wordage.
'The pain of missing someone means we have loved them well' - LOVE this. I'd add that it could also mean they have loved the daylights out of us. xoxo
Isn't Heaven going to be awesome?!
Post a Comment