Friday, March 23, 2012

I Just Read the Neatest Book

For awhile, I had a book blog, because I do lurve to read; and I set a goal of finishing (and reviewing) 50 books in 2011.  Miserable fail.  I unplugged that blog, and decided to include book reviews on this blog, should I read anything I felt moved to share.  Guess what?  I'm moved to share. 

A few days ago, I finished the novel, Delta Girls, by Gayle Brandeis. There are two stories within this novel.  One story is about Karen, the 18 year old competitive pairs figure skater, and her struggle with her strong-willed mother's control over her figure skating career.  The other, is about Izzy, a migrant worker who, with her nine year old daughter, Quinn, finds herself in a new job at a pear orchard, in the Sacramento Delta of CA. 

Both stories within this novel captured my attention immediately and completely.  Brandeis keeps one wondering how they might be related, as they present as differently as night is to day.  I won't go into great detail here, because this novel truly should not be spoiled for anyone. 

I will share this:  I find stories about strong women intriguing; especially when those women find that (previously unbeknownst to them) well of strength to face challenges in their lives.  I also enjoy finding new women authors to share with others.  I cannot wait to see what else Brandeis has written for me to dive into. 

As one reader/reviewer stated, "Reading Brandeis's fiction is like entering an alternative reality where I quickly become part of the family she creates on the pages." I found this to be true, as well. 

Oh, and one other thing.  There are whales in this story.  If you know me at all, you know that she had me at whales.

Review:  4 pages of 5.  Original, engaging storyline.  Rated "PG-13" for a bit of sexual situations here and there; but all of these were, in my opinion, tastefully presented within the realistic arc of the novel. 

Photobucket

No comments: